Writers block | Forums | TeenInk

Writers' Workshop Forums

Coffee BRONZE, Tallahassee, Florida
4 articles 5 photos 184 comments

Favorite Quote:
Your Face.

Coffee BRONZE replied...
on Jan. 2 2011 at 11:46 am
for me thinking about the characters, and the things they would like, or dislike- not big tihngs, small things like....climbing trees? I just pick something random and ask myself if that care would like or dislike it. That sometimes inspires me, and so does thinking up a new plot event for a story. question: why does this forum have a star beside it?

NightStalker PLATINUM, San Diego, California
21 articles 1 photo 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
-Adam Savage

on Jan. 11 2011 at 5:34 pm
What always helps me is to put the writing stuff away (except for school, where they are nescesary) and go and do some thing besides sitting around and burrowing into the brain, seeking something when it has nothing.Then, in 2-4 days, pull out all the stuff for that story, read it, and write down whatever you feel fits into the plot. It will more than likely un-block the sinister writer's block.

TheCreepyNeighbor BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know my name. Not my story.

on Jan. 17 2011 at 8:23 am
This sounds weird. But sometimes I get my story ideas, from looking at pictures. Go on photobucket, and just look at any picture. You may get influenced for a story. They say a picture tells 1000 words.

AmbersGotIT, Nevis, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nothing is empty

AmbersGotIT replied...
on Jan. 21 2011 at 11:24 pm
Think of soething that could happen to you, or if your more fantasyish something that you wish would happen to you like finding a nest of dragon eggs and bringing it home
P.S. you can use that :)

Niya_Smilees GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
13 articles 0 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live in the moment because reality hurts."

Niya_Smilees GOLD replied...
on Jan. 22 2011 at 12:38 pm
I only get writers block when im thinkin of long storys to write. Normally when i have things to write with, it pops in my head and i free write and that turns into something bigger , but then i get bored . so im a short story writer. I go with idea's of bording schools normally where i can make new people come in at anytime and there's always a twist somewhere like sudden death or something along that line

MasterZone BRONZE, Toronto, Other
2 articles 0 photos 39 comments
MasterZone BRONZE replied...
on Jan. 23 2011 at 12:08 am
Try watching a Disney Movie Marathon.   However, don't watch any High School Musical or Camp Rock or anything like those cheesy things. Disney & Pixar movies are great for inspiration!

Sallacia BRONZE, Chorley, Other
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Well, I like to speak scientifically about things!

Sallacia BRONZE replied...
on Jan. 27 2011 at 2:44 am
Hi When I have a writter's block, I try to think of random things. For example, I have one idea; The place is a plane, the feelings are jealously and an object involved is a furcoat. This is just an idea but you get the picture. Just think of a random place, a random emotion and an object. Hope this helps Emily xx

mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio
64 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
Illigitimi non carborundum!

Alea Iacta est!

mymask DIAMOND replied...
on Jan. 29 2011 at 2:19 pm
Whenever you have a writer's block, write out the following words:

"Writer's block"

For some reason, your brain will come up with all possible ideas for your next story or poem.

CommandeerPickles BRONZE, Deerfield, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

on Feb. 3 2011 at 10:14 pm
Something, among the many things many people have already said, I usually think about some of the dreams I've had and see if there is a story to develope in it.

And I completely agree, writers block sucks so badly!

boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska
16 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
Our scars tell us where we have been, but do not have to dictate where we are going.

boklenhle GOLD replied...
on Feb. 9 2011 at 6:32 pm
I have had some problems with writer's block before, so I prepare for it. I always have some kind of sound in the background, then I can write about whatever I feel like. If I still get, I stop, close my eyes and listen to whatever I have going, (like my music I'm listening to, now).

Ayushi_austen BRONZE, Kolkata, Other
3 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
I love my past. I love my present. I’m not ashamed of what I’ve had, and I’m not sad because I have it no longer...

on Feb. 12 2011 at 6:36 am
i so agree with u ....because with pointers and hints there is no space for creativity and imagination

Millie Herron- Jobling BRONZE, Northampton, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
on Feb. 12 2011 at 5:30 pm
Listen to some music that sounds the way you want your story to pe infered, it always works for me.

Oozeworld, Reno, Nevada
0 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever they offer you, don't feed the plants!"

Oozeworld replied...
on Feb. 14 2011 at 9:07 pm
Does anyone ever look in the nonfiction forum section?

anisanasir_11 PLATINUM, Orlando, Other
23 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. -Edgar Allan Poe
~"Paper is more patient than people,"~Anne Frank
"Inspiration from the heart is written in the dark."~Anisa Nasir

on Feb. 15 2011 at 4:25 pm
Try to find the things that inspire you no matter what mood your in. Even your share emotions can insipire you to write something amazing. 

Hope this helped!

-Nisi

Lightsora34, My. Sterling, Kentucky
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments
Lightsora34 replied...
on Feb. 16 2011 at 6:36 pm
To prevent, or avoid writers' block, I write multiple stories at the same time and fit them with very different story lines and characters.  That way If I go brain dead on one , I have a fall back.

SongAway BRONZE, Burton-Upon-trent, Other
1 article 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I need to find me a quote"??

SongAway BRONZE replied...
on Feb. 20 2011 at 11:08 am
I  do exactly the same, then your more than likely never going to runout of the different ideas. I also have a notebook that I jot anything and everything down, even if they have no connection to what I'm currently writing, and look over later for inspiration.

Look_to_the_stars BRONZE, Kentwood, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments
on Feb. 21 2011 at 12:39 pm
Try going for a walk even if its freezing or pouring, well especially if its extreme weather, it helps me get in either a peaceful inspired or an annoyed mood both which can be great for writing

PaRaNoRmAl627 GOLD, Mountainside, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 297 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do what you want. If it's something you'll regret in the morning, sleep late."

PaRaNoRmAl627 GOLD replied...
on Feb. 21 2011 at 7:41 pm
thats funny, because im the complete opposite! i haatee school assignments because i never get to flaunt my creativity. when im writing on my own, i know that anything i want can go on that piece of paper. if i do get writers block though, i walk away from it and come back in a few hours, or even a few days. works wonders :)

GoldSage replied...
on Feb. 25 2011 at 1:04 pm
I always try to act things out. But other wise I completely understand where your at.

Jacob.D.Poettker GOLD, Waterloo, Illinois
16 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The Bible will keep you from sin. Sin will keep you from the Bible." D.L. Moody
"Of these three remain: faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these, is love." 1st Corrinthians 13:13

on Mar. 14 2011 at 3:31 pm
I always look over anything i've wrote in the past. when i was writing my book, i would just start at ch.1 and read on. sometimes it can help me pick things up i wanted to add, as well as point out some gramatical errors.