Writers block | Forums | Teen Ink

Writers' Workshop Forums

Katie-jo, Triangle, Virginia
0 articles 0 photos 61 comments
Katie-jo replied...
on Aug. 3 2011 at 1:01 pm
I have writer's block all the time! It is so annoying! But if you try making something unexpected happen, something that is not part of your plot, even if you have to work really hard later on to fit it into your story, it helps. Maybe reveal some of your characters history even you didn't know about, or make them do or say something totally unplanned! It really works!

hedwigy13 PLATINUM, Piscataway, New Jersey
27 articles 2 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Only in the dictionary does success come before work." -unknown

hedwigy13 PLATINUM replied...
on Aug. 10 2011 at 4:10 pm
Well, I just watch TV or read a book when I can't think of an idea. Try to write down ideas when you have them, so when you're stuck you can use them. Also, put whatever you're doing or what's going on around you into words, like running around the school to print, copy, and hand in an assignment or the young couple having walking together nearby. I have a wierd habit of imagining everything I do in words. Dialogue, like the teacher yelling at me for doodling in class, action, like the kid who just dropped his books, and emotions, like my frustration with the teacher. Although it's kind of annoying at times to think like that, I helps with writter's block. If you're still stuck, just gimme a genre and I'll think up an idea for you.

Lizzy16 BRONZE, Westerville, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Treat others how you would like to be treated."

Lizzy16 BRONZE replied...
on Aug. 25 2011 at 7:05 pm
thanks Hope_Princess. i will try these tips and i totally agree that writers block is annoying.

spiritiris BRONZE, Blacksburg, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Writing a story is like driving through the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can get the whole way that way."
~E. L. Doctorow

spiritiris BRONZE replied...
on Aug. 26 2011 at 3:44 pm
Me too. I often mix some of my other work with work I've read and stuff.... it always ends up unrecognizeable from the original stories I borrowed from. Mostly I borrow names and bits of situations. What type of stories do you write? Fiction?

callmeIN GOLD, Atlanta, Indiana
13 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
‘Maybe Richard will find another way. Just tell him, Alice. Tell him that his own Confessor never stopped loving him. And that if he can’t undo the magic, if he can’t return to her then, she’ll be waiting for him, in the Underworld. Forever.’
-Mother Confessor Kahlan Amnell,
Legend of the Seeker

callmeIN GOLD replied...
on Sep. 1 2011 at 6:53 pm
when i have trouble, i just stop writing until a new idea comes. it takes a while (once i went several weeks without expanding on anything, and it was the  middle of summer!) but something always comes. good luck 1

Wordart SILVER, Arvada, Colorado
9 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hate is forgotten love.

Paranoya is the brute strength of fear.

Gum is sticky, like time.

Wordart SILVER replied...
on Sep. 3 2011 at 6:34 pm
the natural world: beauty in the land, vastness of the sky, stuff like that, or write about writers block, its fun.

HauntMystic BRONZE, Thompson, Pennsylvania
2 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Look on the bright side, you're scrubbing a toilet!" - my brother

HauntMystic BRONZE replied...
on Sep. 4 2011 at 7:42 am
You could always purchase the book 'No Plot? No Problem!' by Chris Baty from the NaNoWriMo team. He has tons of ideas.

Speaking of which, the NaNoWriMo forums (which I frequent often) are teeming with advice/posts/cures about writer's block. I've headed there more than once to soothe my aching head.

My personal advice, however, is to either freewrite (write in a blank document continually without thinking) or talk to your characters in a dialogue page. It'd be something like this:

You: Hey, characters, I need ideas!

Characters: "Lazy writer."

You: Hey!

Etc... I do this often. ;) And sometimes they do get sarcastic, although they know what's best for a story and how it goes. If neither of the above two works, find a scene from one of your stories and draw it, or draw a scene you'd like to have in the book. If you can't draw, write a poem. If you can't write poems, then take a break altogether. Watch a movie, read a book (reading is always good for writers), play a game, talk to family members about it.

There are many cures and much advice out there, but the real imagination lies in your own brain, and all you have to do is unlock it. Ooh, I just remembered another thing my dad told me for writer's block:

Take a nap sitting up in a chair. Hold a key in one hand, and hold it over a plate. When you fall asleep, the key falls, clatters on the plate, and you wake up. Right then, in between waking up and being asleep, your mind finds all the creative-ness it needs and your mind snaps into writing mode. At least, that's what my dad told me.

Hope I helped!

~Silvermist

Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other
12 articles 4 photos 206 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

Steph0804 GOLD replied...
on Sep. 4 2011 at 8:03 am
I carry around a notebook to write down random ideas, so when I have writers block, I open my notebook and find an idea in there.

Jesse-Marie- PLATINUM, Freehold, New Jersey
46 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To love is to live. Without love, what is life?"

on Sep. 5 2011 at 1:27 am
I usually read some books, online articles, stuff like that. Or, watch TV. Maybe just lay in your bed and think. That's what I usually do.

AbstractFragment GOLD, Dalmatia,, Pennsylvania
18 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You know what it feels like when all your teeth are falling out really slowly and you don't realize and then you notice that, well, they're really far apart. And then one day... you don't have any teeth anymore." - Where the Wild Things Are

on Sep. 9 2011 at 7:11 pm
It helps me best to kind of take a breather and stop writing for a bit. While this sounds counter-productive it helps to reset my mind if I don't force anything.

Movies and TV tend to help as well.

Summerland BRONZE, Suwanee, Georgia
3 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
History will be kind to me...for I intend to write it.

Summerland BRONZE replied...
on Sep. 10 2011 at 1:06 pm
I sort of have the same problem, except its more like I can never finish anything. A few days ago my teacher gave me an assignment and I finished it because I had to. Maube you need a topic to write about. Teachers provide that. But it's harder when you're alone with no deadlines. It's not like you HAVE to do it. That's much harder.

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri
6 articles 0 photos 119 comments

Favorite Quote:
-The only time you can get away with murder is when writing a book!

Anonymous_7 SILVER replied...
on Sep. 10 2011 at 3:54 pm
same here!

Erecura PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
26 articles 11 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hell is empty; all the devils are here."
The tempest

Erecura PLATINUM replied...
on Sep. 19 2011 at 3:39 pm
I usually just listen to music or read or something like that and when i get back to writing i usually have an idea

Mariah_0.0 SILVER, Peyton, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be the change you want to see in the world

Mariah_0.0 SILVER replied...
on Sep. 21 2011 at 2:46 pm
there are always things to inspire you out there. Think of memories, read a good book, hang out with friends, go enjoy a walk in the park. I agree it can be hard to think of something when you're not in the mood. It just takes practice and patience. Good luck! :)

Saarahh, Brtdbtgfdbgf, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments
Saarahh replied...
on Oct. 2 2011 at 5:02 am
You could try flicking through other books or magazines for inspiration? :)

Wildfire06, Cardiff, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments
Wildfire06 replied...
on Oct. 4 2011 at 4:41 pm
I heard once that there is no such thing as writers block, the problem is that you have no ideas! Leave it for five minutes, clear your mind and soon enough something will enspire you to write... it helps me to think of that.

soldout replied...
on Oct. 4 2011 at 5:19 pm
Good point :)   here's an idea that I like: listen to a coversation between your brothers, sisters, parents, friends, or even complete strangers and write down anything they say that makes you think. dialogue always sparks a good writing fire

JayBrown BRONZE, Dracut, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The worst part of knowing you have been lied to, is knowing you weren't worth the truth.

JayBrown BRONZE replied...
on Oct. 5 2011 at 3:17 pm
I agree completly! If i'm in a so-so mood, there is no way that my writing will be anything but poop :P

Music-Tricks-Love SILVER, New York, New York
7 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Your braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

on Oct. 5 2011 at 3:18 pm
Whenever I get writers block I usually just take a quick break and do something that I love. Listen to music, take a nap, or just relax.

HannahBarnes BRONZE, Carmichael, California
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment
HannahBarnes BRONZE replied...
on Oct. 9 2011 at 9:08 pm
Amen to that.  I totally agree. Usually I take a walk around the river and find some good ideas.  Sometimes it's a gum wrapper on the ground or a spider in its web, but it does help get the ideas going.