Writers block | Forums | Teen Ink

Writers' Workshop Forums

Signed_DK SILVER, Declo, Idaho
5 articles 1 photo 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
There is no line between genius and insanity, I erased it.

Violence isn't the answer, it's the solution.

Signed_DK SILVER replied...
on Oct. 9 2011 at 10:00 pm
Ok wildheart. Great job for asking for ideas. I know thats what helps me when I have writers block.  An idea for you is zodiacs write something on them.

Signed_DK SILVER, Declo, Idaho
5 articles 1 photo 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
There is no line between genius and insanity, I erased it.

Violence isn't the answer, it's the solution.

Signed_DK SILVER replied...
on Oct. 9 2011 at 10:05 pm
Go to the submit new work tab and goto written work then just flip through the pictures at the bottom until one insipres you

HoloWise PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois
22 articles 0 photos 27 comments
HoloWise PLATINUM replied...
on Oct. 11 2011 at 8:17 am
When I get writer's block, I take a nap or read a book.  I try not to think of writing and it helps me.

MountainBird14, Evergreen, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can rearrange me, but you can never change me

MountainBird14 replied...
on Oct. 12 2011 at 11:23 pm
I get that all the time! It's nice to know that other people have the same problem! I always start with something small and blossom from there: a character, a situation, even just a simple sentence that you have that you really like. From there I can usually get myself out of my block! :)

WilliamAuss BRONZE, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
2 articles 1 photo 6 comments
WilliamAuss BRONZE replied...
on Oct. 15 2011 at 9:45 pm
Listen to music... Try and find songs that strike up emotion. Even if the emotion is negative... you will find inspiration. The best inspiration comes from within yourself.

holdendeman BRONZE, Whitney Point, New York
1 article 14 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you experience the warm feelings it brings.
"Don't pity the dead, pity the living."

holdendeman BRONZE replied...
on Oct. 16 2011 at 3:24 pm
I like to take walks, car rides, even watch t.v. or talk to your friends, or do anything that you can think about, and then produce ideas. For examples you are watching some stupid reality t.v. show. You think about how fake they are or how miserable the people in it may be. Start writing down those thoughts or even write about it, and thenn a story will come to mind. :P

Little.Miss replied...
on Oct. 16 2011 at 5:50 pm
I usually just wait it out. Sooner or later, I get more ideas, and things come back to me. But if that doesn't work for you, try:

*Journaling for a week or a few weeks. Just write ten minutes every evening about things you saw, you did, people you met, names you likes, etc.

*Observe, and write. Kind of like keeping a journal, just more frequent writing.

*Keep writing whatever it is that comes to your mind until you have a real lead.

Good luck! :)

Heiwa BRONZE, Coventry, Other
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Heiwa BRONZE replied...
on Oct. 19 2011 at 4:08 pm
I found listening to audio poems (basically poems read aloud to you) or reading them out loud, a lot more helpful to get ideas than just reading them in my head:) you can find random read-out poems on youtube, etc.

NiklausMikaelson1864 SILVER, Southwest Harbor, Maine
5 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Please note that I am saying this as I twirl my metaphorical mustache." ~Talon McCallister

on Oct. 24 2011 at 12:37 pm
It takes a really long time for me to come up with an idea. They just fall into my head, so I always keep a notebook with me. Try writing a list of your favorite things...the idea for my novel (still pending to be posted) came to me while reading "Where She Went" by Gayle Forman.

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri
6 articles 0 photos 119 comments

Favorite Quote:
-The only time you can get away with murder is when writing a book!

Anonymous_7 SILVER replied...
on Oct. 24 2011 at 5:31 pm
I think car rides help with writers block. Thats usually where I get inspired! :) Hope this helped.

julialove94 SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California
6 articles 1 photo 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I live to write, not write to live"

julialove94 SILVER replied...
on Oct. 25 2011 at 11:44 am
Yeah writers block sucks! But I listen to music, observe what's around me, and listen to other people's life stories to intrigue some kind of creative spark in me to base a story around the things I see and hear! That helps me out alot! Plus, I took creative writing and I'm in journalism now, so I'm always hearing new things to write about.

JesusLuver22 BRONZE, Baker, Florida
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
I Can Do All Things THrough Christ That Gives Me Strength! Phillppians 4:13

JesusLuver22 BRONZE replied...
on Oct. 26 2011 at 3:18 pm
I hate writersblock I'm a singer/singwriter I hate it with a Passion.

WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other
30 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
In my mind, I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest ceiling of the cathedral and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, it all collapses.
- Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

on Oct. 27 2011 at 8:36 am
Writer's block is the most terrible thing. Just keep messing around with the words, you know. Write anything, till the words swim around. It doesn't matter. The more you mess around with words, something or the else is going to come up sometime :)

kingofwriters BRONZE, DeWitt, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 196 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King

I love books, and I love technology, but I don't want to see the latter overwhelm the former. I just think books are meant to be pages you turn, not screens you scroll through.

on Oct. 30 2011 at 2:46 pm
I never seem to stop coming up with ideas. I'm just listening to a song, or watching a movie, and I come up with a new idea.

It's creepy.

Anyway, you should listen to songs or watch movies and maybe you'll find inspiration in those.

MsUnderstood5102, Marysville, Kansas
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never Stop, in your life

MsUnderstood5102 replied...
on Nov. 1 2011 at 6:55 pm
I get serious writers block all the time! But my problem is, I've had a story idea since I was 9 years old, and ever since I cant write anything else because everything else sounds like crap! Here are my methods of fighting writers block:

Take a bubble bath

Listen to Classical Music(Beethoven is my favorite!)

READ READ READ!!!

TouchOfARose SILVER, Winter Garden, Florida
7 articles 1 photo 118 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all have ability. The difference is how we use it." -Stevie Wonder

TouchOfARose SILVER replied...
on Nov. 6 2011 at 10:22 pm
I'm not sure if you've found your inspiration yet or not, but it usually helps me if I sit down and stare at landspace pictures. It might seem silly, but so much can be gotten just from a 8x9 photo.

Like a Winter landscpae can portray the dead of the old, and a dormancy between phases.Or a spring landscape can represent the budding of new life, relationships, and the uncovering of things long gone. see? random inspiration(:

i hope this helped some!

Blondediva SILVER, Hemet, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
What matters most is not how much money you have in the bank, or what you have lying around in your house, it is the thing that will stay with you forever and never leave your side. That, my dear friend, is love.

Blondediva SILVER replied...
on Nov. 8 2011 at 7:57 pm
with writers block, i usually start to write what is up in my head at the time. i just write down anything that comes to mind, it doesnt matter if it pertains to the topic or not.

HWriter98 BRONZE, Bel Air, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." ~William Wordsworth

HWriter98 BRONZE replied...
on Nov. 13 2011 at 11:37 am
What I do is think about places I went and just throw thoughts down and make sense of them. You can take writing anywhere so if it makes sense to you, thats all that matters

Akane-Ree BRONZE, New City, New York
1 article 0 photos 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"She\'s got it out for me BUT I WEAR THE BIGGEST SMILE"

Akane-Ree BRONZE replied...
on Nov. 13 2011 at 8:14 pm
I find that whenever I have writer's block, it helps to look over my old stories, or reread the lengths of what I have down of the book I'm trying to write.

Also, on maybe a paper, I just delete the last sentence, and try and write from there. I'm not sure how or why that helps, but...

Often, though, I find that for me it isn't that i can't write, but that I don't have motivation. For which I suggest istening to Sara Barielles's "Uncharted" which is about writer's block. And and awesome song.

Bisquick_Fin, Dover, New Hampshire
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
I'm going to run away, AND NEVER COME BACK... And, when I get back;

Bisquick_Fin replied...
on Nov. 14 2011 at 10:54 pm
Writers block... A fair opponent, that is of mine... Gets me every time I start to write a "decent" piece... But, there are all kinds of things to write about! Write about love, sadness, war, life, death, happiness, sadness, etc, etc, moods are always fun to convey!