Writers block | Forums | TeenInk

Writers' Workshop Forums

DeletedAccount, NA, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 25 comments
DeletedAccount replied...
on Jan. 21 2012 at 2:58 pm
Writer's block... I get writer's block when I'm bored of writing, but I don't yet know it. Maybe you should rest in writing for I while until you get a really good idea. Then, your ideas will flow from there.

R_marie97 SILVER, Granby, Massachusetts
6 articles 7 photos 0 comments
R_marie97 SILVER replied...
on Feb. 2 2012 at 9:11 am
If you have an awesome writing book that you can get prompts from it really helps! a book you may be interested in is: The Writer's Book Of Matches by Phillip Sexton... It is only $1.00 soft cover from Amazon, and is the best thing that ever happened to my writing !

AbigailPalmer BRONZE, London, Other
4 articles 3 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"sometimes you wake up, sometimes the fall kills you, and sometimes, when you fall, you fly"

~ Neil Gaiman

on Feb. 3 2012 at 4:46 am
Put your ipod to shuffle, write a short story/poem inspired by whatever song comes up first

summerchikk14 SILVER, Redding, Connecticut
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've my heart where my head should be, and light up the rest of me. Cuz in dreams, it don't fall apart, through the stars it starts when your life is a work of art<3"

on Feb. 3 2012 at 10:09 pm
same here! what i do is look for inspirational things, maybe song lyrics, a photo, other books...anything to stimulate ideas!

Lacer GOLD, Highland Village, Texas
19 articles 0 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
The thing about philosophy is that it often runs dry when thought of so shallowly.

Lacer GOLD replied...
on Feb. 4 2012 at 12:41 am
play thousand questions with yourself: Gender of character?-male Age-13 Why-stay up later, more jobs What jobs?-babysitting What can go wrong when babysitting?- babyy cries What do you do? change diapers What if that doesnt work?-feed it Orson Scott Card does this game with children, (younguns, mind you) so you can probably think of some more creative things that happen at certain ages and more clever things that can go wrong

JKaufman BRONZE, Ada, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments
JKaufman BRONZE replied...
on Feb. 5 2012 at 11:16 pm
Something that I find interestingly helpful is to just go to an area where you think you may want a story to take place (ex: forest, city beach, mountain) and listen. Close your eyes, free your thoughts, remove your mental filters that normally constrict your ideas. Sometimes listening is much more powerful than speaking, even if this is hard for writers (including me) to realize!

Chelsi-Law BRONZE, Baker, Montana
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dont cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

-Dr. Seuss

Chelsi-Law BRONZE replied...
on Feb. 7 2012 at 4:08 pm
Well usually when I get writers block I sit down and I like to read other people's writing so I can see what kind of vocabulary they use and stuff like that. I'm sort of the same way, but I'm better at free writing than school assighnments.

camohunter19 GOLD, Sedro-Woolley, Washington
14 articles 13 photos 128 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Girls are so queer you never know what they mean. They say No when they mean Yes, and drive a man out of his wits for the fun of it." "Violence is never the answer! It is a question, and the answer is yes."

camohunter19 GOLD replied...
on Feb. 8 2012 at 5:28 pm
I read quotes, listen to songs, pour over books, and do some pretty wacky stuff to shake writers' block.

Sharkgirl SILVER, Honolulu, Hawaii
9 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
Brave men may not live forever, but cautious men do not live at all.
Author Unknown

Sharkgirl SILVER replied...
on Feb. 8 2012 at 8:24 pm
same with me so sometimes i sit outside watch some tv or examine my inner consios hey i even wrote a peom on writers block you could check it out its called clueless

flywiththebirds SILVER, Vancleave, Mississippi
6 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
Revenge is sweet, but forgiveness is sweeter.

Revelations 21:23

But what is the ocean but a multitude of drops?

on Feb. 13 2012 at 11:00 am
there's this website that helps me a lot http://www.creativewritingprompts.com/ i usually have trouble with the first sentence of a story so this helps me

rockhead BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 article 7 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it"
Ferris Bueller/Matthew Broderick

rockhead BRONZE replied...
on Feb. 13 2012 at 5:43 pm
Write. Write write write write write. Just write. Its doesn't matter what you write as long as your hand is moving and your brain is working because while your writing (even if it is just nonsense) your brain will make connections and you can go back later and take stuff out and add stuff and come up with new ideas and before you know it you'll get out of writer's block. If that doesn't work then do a stream of consciousness. It's when you also just write. Only here you write you whatever pops up into your head at the moment or whatever is on your mind like me I would do that if I'm excited about a concert or hanging out with my friends. You write anything and everything. And if your just so stuck beyond belief and you feel like you wanna scream........vent. Take a walk, watch half an hour of TV, read, listen to music, draw, play an instrument if you do, call someone just to say hey. Something should strike you as inspiration and if you don't see a light bulb above your head then write about the TV show or the song or the book you read. Hope this helps. Have fun writing.

TrishaLove BRONZE, Munnar, Other
1 article 1 photo 0 comments
TrishaLove BRONZE replied...
on Mar. 16 2012 at 11:04 pm
heyya....uh i i'd probably suggest you carry a small journal a jot down all the ideas you tend to forgeot ( that happens with me a lot !!! ). if u r writing a book then getting into character is really important....it can get boring sometimes but u can keep a journal of a fictional charcter........do brainstorming......u can come with some words that can inspire u to write.........visit the online dictinar/thesaurus and find meanings of a word that's facinating.......sit a crowded place and observe!!!!! make a list of things that you can do  to make ur writing different from others...............good luck !!

DaisyAngel BRONZE, Sandy Springs, Georgia
3 articles 0 photos 66 comments
DaisyAngel BRONZE replied...
on Mar. 20 2012 at 6:41 pm
I had the exact same problem for the longest time (three years), but then I took a writing class during Interim Week at my school and it appears as if my problem has been solved. Now, I try to pull things from my life and write around it. For example, if my friend says, "Why is food so tempting?" I will write something about the statement. Also, I find it easier to write short stories when I have writer's block. This way, I can let my creative juices flow without the worry of the story collapsing as I continue. To give you some more inspiration, try these:

1. Go through a magazine and select at least twenty words/phrases that interest you. Use these words/phrases to create a story.

2. Write a story without using any adjectives.

3. What is the most bizarre dream that you've had? Write about it.

Hopefully, these will help you!

the_real_lamp-o-nator, Knoxville, Tennessee
0 articles 0 photos 8 comments
on Mar. 24 2012 at 9:06 pm
Honestly, I just don't have the attention span to write much. Xbox is just too damn appealing. I do tend to write a lot more though if people like my existing work so... TeenInk.com/fiction/realistic_fiction/article/441594/If-there-was-ever-one-excerpt/

NamesKill. BRONZE, Plymouth, Other
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
One of my favourites is......

'Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.'
- Dr. Seuss

NamesKill. BRONZE replied...
on Mar. 27 2012 at 7:31 am
Sorry if these things have been posted already but a couple tasks I do sometimes are if I just want to chill and write some interesting stuff.

Task 1 for creative writing:

1# First you play some music quietly (I tend to use quite mellow tracks but it is entirely up to you what you use, you don't even need the music but I find it helps) but you don't really pay attention to it.

2# You grab a piece of paper, set yourself a time limit and choose two words that could start a sentence e.g. 'I remember...'

3# You keep on writing those two words until you think of something. Everytime you have no idea how to continue with what you're writing, you must write those two words repeatedly until you find yourself writing anything else.

4# When your time is up, you set yourself a longer time limit and repeat the task but instead of writing new material. You re-write the text and develop it as much as you can.

Please remember: What you write does not have to make sense, you do not have to strick to one topic you have the freedom to (if you like) talk about (example - fire and then about giants.) It can be in whatever context you like and don't panic if you feel uninspired this won't work for everyone and you've just got to allow yourself time to get back in to the swing of things, you do not want to pressure yourself about it because you'll only end up delaying your progress further.

Task 2 for if you're trying to create your own characters:

1# If you have a rough idea about one of your characters you should put yourself into that character's shoes and ask a friend to interview you as your character.

2# Ask them to record the conversation you have so you can watch it back for personal use and get them to ask you random questions such as 'What is Lily's occupation?' 'Does Robert have any siblings?' This will help you have a feel for one of your characters and helps your mind work at improvising and will enable you to continue to elaborate on creating that character. You can choose to then keep these character traits or play around with them!

Hope this was helpful, and if you could be so kind, could you please read my short poem 'Windows' on my profile? It would be much appreciated, thanks!... NamesKill. =)

imalwayswrite53 GOLD, Saltlake City, Utah
13 articles 1 photo 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but what you don't realize is that what I said is not what I meant......

on Mar. 28 2012 at 3:01 pm
A good way to come up with an idea is to ask what if questions, like on of my favorite books by Caroline Cooney is called If the Witness Lied they whole story is circled around a murder, to which there was only one witness, but what if the Witness lied

Allow yourself to be inspired by the world around you and ask lots of what if... questions

also, google is your friend :)

LoganC. SILVER, Johnston, Iowa
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Laghter is like peing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel it's warmth."
-My amazing friend Collin

LoganC. SILVER replied...
on Mar. 28 2012 at 10:38 pm
Just think about other's work, and try to write something that has to do with your life and you now know how to write it. I enjoy lots calm activites. So when I talk about board games, books, music, or video games, I know what I'm talking about and write better.

SamsQ GOLD, Naperville, Illinois
11 articles 75 photos 64 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” - Albus Dumbledore

SamsQ GOLD replied...
on Apr. 3 2012 at 4:31 pm
I need some help because I'm having major writers block. In my book the dad told Maggie (his daughter/ the main character/ the narrator) to be better and more like her (younger) sister (who died). He kind of told her to go die and bring her sister back, because he thinks it was Maggie's fault that her sister died. Now I need something really horrible for Maggie to say back to her father, and right after she says it, she's going to run away. It needs to hurt her dad physically and emotionally, but more emotionally. I cant really continue until I have that piece. Please help! About the physically hurting part, well I kind of wanted it to be like - you know how in books the person would be like it felt like they slapped me (in response to whatever the person said). I wanted it to be like that. Like it felt like a blow to the stomach, but not literally. Does that make sense? Oh and the running away part, she will be gone for like a couple of hours, but then her dad searches for her, and he takes her back home. Her dad wanted to move and now they are in like a week, but Maggie didn't want to, so she threw a fit, because this place reminded her of Ari (her sister). And thats why she and her dad started fighting. Her mom doesn't really play apart in the story, she is powerless against her husband.

NamesKill. BRONZE, Plymouth, Other
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
One of my favourites is......

'Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.'
- Dr. Seuss

NamesKill. BRONZE replied...
on Apr. 5 2012 at 6:57 am
Hey SamsQ, I like your idea!... She could say something along the lines of "I'm sick and tired of you blaming me for your own mistakes, you're the 'man' of the house, so why don't you take some responsibility and act like it. You know what, I would much rather trade places with Ari, I'd rather be dead than have you as my father, you're a waste of space and I hate you! Mum doesn't even love you, she's just afraid of what you'd do if she told you she'd rather be with someone else, someone who doesn't favour his children, someone who isn't a pathetic, spineless, corpulent, failure. You can't bring Ari back and don't you dare try and pin her death on me. I hope you're happy with yourself and I hope she is looking down on you, watching what a fool you've been. I'm done with you and so is Mum she just doesn't know how to tell you so I've saved her the job, I hope I never see you again, you worthless petulant little boy." Hope that helped ^ :)

Emjolie8 GOLD, Evanston, Illinois
16 articles 4 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
-anonymous

Emjolie8 GOLD replied...
on Apr. 6 2012 at 5:43 pm
also listen to music. for example if i am writing something dark or sad i listen to something sad or dark and slow tempoed. i fit the song to what i am writting.