Writers block | Forums | TeenInk

Writers' Workshop Forums

TheUnwindingCableCar PLATINUM, Plymouth, Indiana
31 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality. -Plutarch

on Apr. 12 2012 at 9:33 am
I'm having a problem writing the second part for a story I wrote, because I want to introduce a character mentioned in the first part, but it's hard to do so because I can't figure out what to do with her.

NamesKill. BRONZE, Plymouth, Other
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
One of my favourites is......

'Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.'
- Dr. Seuss

NamesKill. BRONZE replied...
on Apr. 18 2012 at 6:41 am
Sorry for the delay & I know you might not see this now Alesana but I can try and help you if y'like? :)

eurasian_hybrid BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
2 articles 6 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"My hands have not touched pleasure since your hands,-/ No, nor my lips freed laughter since 'farewell'."
- Hart Crane (1899-1932)

on Jun. 6 2012 at 10:42 pm
try picking up a random object and trying to make a short little story in your head about it (nothing too fancy). That should help get your creative juices flowing :)

Prose, Buffalo, New York
0 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss you\'ll land among the stars.\"

Prose replied...
on Jun. 11 2012 at 2:23 pm
Blow bubbles and fly kites and lay in fresh grass.  I'm serious.  Do something that requires no thinking and is basically silent.  Don't listen to music with lyrics.

Or you could go people- watching (not stalking; you don't follow the person once they've left).  Go to a park and bring your notebook.  Write a lengthy description of what that person looks like and what that person is doing.  If the person leaves, just keep going and see where it will end up.

I also used some of these prompts to get ideas:

1) Write several descriptions of fictional characters, they must be your own!  Write what those characters have in their bags or purses.  See if you can match them up a few months later.  This helps me with showing and telling and descriptions.

2) Just scribble completely random words on the page until you get an idea.  It works.

3) Write about the worst or best day of your life and multiply all the bad or good factors by ten: I wrote about the worst day of my life when my uncle got into a car accident and multiplied the factors by ten: he got hit by ten cars, he got put into the news, a book was written about him, and eventually it will become a different story entirely.

Prose, Buffalo, New York
0 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss you\'ll land among the stars.\"

Prose replied...
on Jun. 11 2012 at 6:11 pm
I like your fourth paragraph!

dpswiftstar58 replied...
on Jun. 20 2012 at 9:16 am
I read al ot of blooks when I get writer's block, along with day dream, and listen to music. Curremtly I have writer's block right now too. Also, maybe you would like to check out my work.

dpswiftstar58 replied...
on Jun. 20 2012 at 9:17 am
Sorry about the typos, I am so tired right now, and I'm just out of it.

JustTryAndCatchMe. BRONZE, Fredericktown, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Und ich will nicht die Welt um mich zu sehen denn ich glaube nicht, dass sie würden understand.When alles gemacht hat, gebrochen zu werden, ich möchte nur, dass Sie wissen, wer ich bin." Goo Goo Dolls

on Jun. 24 2012 at 4:59 pm
I find that my dreams actually are a good source for material....

jarofsouls SILVER, Montpelier, Indiana
9 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope." - Author unkown

jarofsouls SILVER replied...
on Jun. 30 2012 at 4:36 pm
Okay, here are some sentences to think about. Whispers are like smoke. They spread into your lungs and choke you, and, like smoke is created by fire, whispers are made from secrets. My story started with a whisper.

BryannaAkins PLATINUM, Garden Grove, California
21 articles 4 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Love is NEVER ugly."

on Jul. 3 2012 at 4:20 pm
I was just watching The Incredibles, and I thought, WHAT IF SUPERHEROES WERE THE SUPERMODELS!!!

HavenEyes BRONZE, Lake City, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you would not be forgotten,
as soon as you are dead and rotten,
either write things worth reading,
or do things worth the writing."

HavenEyes BRONZE replied...
on Jul. 8 2012 at 6:10 pm
Try making a web! Start with one word, maybe like, nature, or vacation, and sprout out everything that comes to mind, then pick something that stands out to write about. I do it all of the time, and it really seems to help.

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming
60 articles 11 photos 381 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

nelehjr DIAMOND replied...
on Jul. 20 2012 at 2:37 pm
Last time I had a narley case of that snaz I paced the bridge until something hit me... It was duck poo. Just kidding, I actually had a fairly decent idea. Go hang upside down, climb a tree, eat fruit, people watch, go mad. It helps.

TheGirlWhoAteTheWorld BRONZE, Newport, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sm:)e

on Jul. 22 2012 at 10:21 am
I have been dealing with writers block for about two years now - which you can tell from my awful poems. What I try to do is: put on a song that has a similar mood to a story you want to write. Put it on loop. Then go somewhere where you can completely alone. Grab a piece of blank paper and just listen to the music. Write down what ever comes to your head - even if it sounds stupid. Best of luck! tiffany x

realbeautifulheart PLATINUM, Livermore, California
21 articles 1 photo 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is a package that you have to sign for. Yes, it's free. No, there's no guarantee as to what it holds. Open with caution, it's 'FRAGILE'." (I made this up.)

on Jul. 26 2012 at 12:45 pm
I do that type of thing, too! I will just turn on a song that I like, put it on repeat, and just go! If I can't go to sleep, I will just think up a story randomly. Writer's block has never gotten to me for too long because I will hear something or see/watch something that inspires me and I'll be off writing again. Hope something helped... :)

PlainJane GOLD, Notown, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
...understand that the heart is as vast and wide as the universe, but that we come to know love best from here, this place of gravity and stability, where our feet can still touch ground.

PlainJane GOLD replied...
on Aug. 20 2012 at 1:58 pm
Well, sometimes, depending on what I'm doing, I pretend I am a character in a future story of mine. If I'm at the grocery store shopping alone for my sister's party, I pretend my main character (in a possible future story) is doing the same thing. That's only one scene in the story. Then you develop the character's background, who she could meet, her weaknesses, the plot, etc.  Hope this helped! :)

PlainJane GOLD, Notown, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
...understand that the heart is as vast and wide as the universe, but that we come to know love best from here, this place of gravity and stability, where our feet can still touch ground.

PlainJane GOLD replied...
on Aug. 20 2012 at 2:00 pm
It does sound weird but of course your character is going to have a different background than you. She also can have a different outlook on life. She (or he, sorry about that) could meet someone. And etc etc

KatelynnGilbert0 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
3 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only thing holding you back is yourself."

on Aug. 20 2012 at 9:05 pm
What I do when I have really bad writer's block is I'll look back at storiesI started on but never finished, or ideas that never got written down but stuck in my head for some reason. That's how I wrote my new article Battle Scars, and it ended up getting an editor's choice award!   ;D

13yearoldhopeful, Houston, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget how to live" - Albus Wulfric Percival Brain Dumbledore

13yearoldhopeful replied...
on Sep. 8 2012 at 6:12 pm
something i try doing is creating a classroom atmosphere. write alone in your room. keep distractions to a minimum. give yourself a deadline. think about what you would want as a reader - not as a writer 

LaurenDomagas SILVER, Pleasanton, California
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions."
-Edgar Cayce

on Sep. 10 2012 at 7:41 pm
For me, when I get writer's block, it's usually because I'm trying too hard to go searching for ideas and then I get frustrated with myself when I can't find any. That's why I always bring a writer's notebook with me so that I can immediately jot down any ideas that my blow my way during the day. Then when I have time, I can really scrutinize on what story ideas I really want to try out and ones that I just want to disgard.
Other times, I'll write random blurbs -just seeing what words feel right together even though they don't particularly have a plot. I'll just let the words kind of flow and sometimes, I'll find a really good story in there.
Hope this helps!

Stella_Val_Illicia GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah
13 articles 0 photos 248 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad idea."
--Douglas Adams

on Oct. 9 2012 at 5:28 pm
When I get writer's block, I write a short story about one of the characters I'm trying to write about. Like if I start a book, but I don't know where to go, I will fast forward to later in the plotline and write a short story there. I don't know if I'm the only one, but my ideas always begin in the middle, if that makes sense...