Writers block | Forums | TeenInk

Writers' Workshop Forums

imhereforthethought PLATINUM, Wayne, New Jersey
43 articles 0 photos 45 comments
on Jan. 11 2013 at 9:23 am
I find that fiction is actually the easiest to find an idea about because your mind is free to create. Also if you look hard enough, there is always an idea somewhere. For evidence, read the desription of my Sci-Fi/Fantasy story Prey(Prologue)

maymayh, Frostburg, Maryland
0 articles 7 photos 1 comment
maymayh replied...
on Jan. 15 2013 at 10:19 am
Hmm.. go for a walk!

plathfanatic GOLD, Elmont, New York
10 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If there is a god, I bet he looks down at us and laughs at our foolish ways."

plathfanatic GOLD replied...
on Jan. 21 2013 at 5:06 pm
Everything I write about, is somehow inspired from real life, no matter if its Fantasy (my favorite) or Romance. I agree with some of the other advice above, just dont think about it. Live life, and soon enough someone or something will inspire you :)

MadiofMusic GOLD, Hanover, Massachusetts
17 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

MadiofMusic GOLD replied...
on Mar. 21 2013 at 2:38 pm
When I have writers block, I usually pop in my headphones and fall asleep with them in. I get tons of ideas deep down in the dream section of my brain. You should try it. And don't be afraid to write anything weird. It came from you, and if you came up with it, its already perfect. :P

WolfOfEden SILVER, New Haven, Connecticut
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Do something extraordinary."

"But who prays for Satan? Who in the 18th century has the common humanity to pray for the one sinner who needed it the most?" -Mark Twain.

WolfOfEden SILVER replied...
on Mar. 27 2013 at 10:13 am
The most ordinary issue with classroom assignments regarding literature is when the teacher give you something to write. A true writer writes from the heart and the words just spill onto the paper; I write my direct emotions so wirters block is never really an ordeal unless I'm forcing myself. And the worst thing a teacher could do is tell you what the title of your prose must be! I never write the title before I design my art. That's like telling a woman her baby's name is going to be John, knowing theres a chance of it being a girl. For me, I never know what the direct outcome of my art will be -- labeling it is just a hassle. Perhaps things would be easier: if you title first, try writing first. And if your teacher is asking you to constuct a given subject, try relating it to yourself and your emotions when writing.

RoseEverwinter BRONZE, Adel, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
on Apr. 3 2013 at 9:24 pm
I find reading a good book sometimes helps with writer's block. You could write about life after death, it's the first thing that popped into my head. 

HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other
8 articles 6 photos 392 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

HudaZav SILVER replied...
on Apr. 8 2013 at 7:41 pm
I read, write, talk to different people, watch movies... poetry and simply looking at art helps a lot =)

Miniterror GOLD, Yuma, Arizona
10 articles 1 photo 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Miniterror GOLD replied...
on Apr. 11 2013 at 12:30 pm
Whenever I hit writers block, I usually just walk around for awhile or read some books that I own for ideas. Even a simple word may give you the boost you need.

Netcraze12341 BRONZE, Moraga, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You will find the soul of Caesar in the spirit of this woman." -Artemisia Gentileschi

on Apr. 28 2013 at 12:17 pm
Gosh, I have that exact problem. I turn to Owl City songs in times of horror--the lyrics are inspiration in themselves. 

Lourdesas BRONZE, MARIETTA, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"don't get mad, live your life that we still have much to live and life is too short to spend it discussing"

Lourdesas BRONZE replied...
on May. 2 2013 at 10:38 am
I think you cound listen to a song, and kind of make a story about it. Like of the person who wrote it, or make the song the perfect sountrack of your story, i think it'll help

whiterose GOLD, Independence, Missouri
14 articles 0 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
The future lies before you, like a field of fallen snow; be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

whiterose GOLD replied...
on May. 4 2013 at 4:35 pm
Amen sister. Take from real life or dream experiences and work your writing mojo magic :)

DianaLauraS, Coalinga, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you light a candle, you also cast a shadow." -Ursula K. Le Guin.

DianaLauraS replied...
on May. 8 2013 at 12:50 pm
Well, when I have difficulties writing I hear music and think of my favorite movies. Ideas start to kick in and my writing impulses are wild. Hearing music and imagining of another place actually helps me with a writer block. :)

Ellodan BRONZE, Tifton, Georgia
3 articles 0 photos 8 comments
Ellodan BRONZE replied...
on May. 15 2013 at 7:57 pm
I hate writer's block so much it is not even funny. I have a terrible case of it right now even.

Snow_White BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments
Snow_White BRONZE replied...
on May. 18 2013 at 4:18 pm
Writers block is annoying, I completely agree with you! I also have the problem of not being able to write every day, which is especially hard because I'm working on a novel.  What I suggest is listening to music that realtes in some way to whatever you're planning on writing! Or if you don't know what to write, listening to music can help you come  up with ideas and themes to explore. Also, reading books and articles helps me get in the zone!

Jordan1865 BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Alabama
1 article 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't like to gamble but if there's one thing I'm willing to bet on, it's myself."
-Beyonce

Jordan1865 BRONZE replied...
on May. 31 2013 at 10:04 am
One way I use to cure writer's block is starting off with a completely random sentence like "she looked down at her hands." You can allow ideas to flow from this and see what develops, just letting your mind go and letting your fingers fly. Don't try to stop and think of what to say next, just keep typing. Thinking stops the flow.

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico
27 articles 0 photos 423 comments

Favorite Quote:
The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

LexusMarie PLATINUM replied...
on Jun. 1 2013 at 8:06 pm
As of right now if you go to the poetry & lyrics forum and go to page 7 there is a forum titled 'Need some writing ideas? I got your back.' And there are ten different ideas to help you out. :)

The_Doctor GOLD, Canon City, Colorado
17 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. ”

The_Doctor GOLD replied...
on Jun. 4 2013 at 11:24 pm
I have that all the time. I have it right now as a matter of fact.

thatchickmeg BRONZE, Bel Air, Maryland
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls..."

thatchickmeg BRONZE replied...
on Jun. 6 2013 at 3:57 pm
I sometimes find it helpful to look up "creative writing prompts" on google to be honest!! I've gotten a bunch of ideas from various sites. Also, just walk around your hometown and people watch. You may come up with a new character!

FlintStone, New Smyrna Beach, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

FlintStone replied...
on Jun. 10 2013 at 10:25 am
Think of your inspirations. What do you like to write best? Horror, Adventure, Fairy tales, Romance?

Simplywonderful GOLD, Fort Meade, Florida
17 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

on Jun. 29 2013 at 12:43 am
For me, I read some of my old writing. Weird, but that one actaully helps a lot for some reason. And would you mind looking at some of my writing? I need some feedbaack. Please and thank you(: