Writers block | Forums | TeenInk

Writers' Workshop Forums

kesmith820, Villanova, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"so when people i like do something terrible...I just flense them and forgive them" -Kurt Vonnegut, Blue Beard

kesmith820 replied...
on Apr. 24 2014 at 4:52 pm
I have the same problem most times-- I can't sit down and write something on command.  I just can't.  Try to keep a notepad or use the notes app on a smartphone to jot down reminders of moments in the day where you feel a strong emotion.  I find it a lot easier to write about something when it has been fermenting inside of me for a little bit and making me feel feelings

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
324 articles 10 photos 1166 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Olivia-Atlet ELITE replied...
on May. 13 2014 at 5:11 pm
A girl has powers to see things before they happen (not the future, I mean like RIGHT before they happen) and she's princess. she is convinced to use her powers for evil and then she accidentally starts a war.

SkyTekile PLATINUM, Tetonia, Idaho
30 articles 3 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Gandhi

SkyTekile PLATINUM replied...
on Jun. 4 2014 at 8:39 pm
Alright, so I have really annoying writer's block, and I haven't the faintest why. BUt one thing really helps me-- excercising, believe it or not. My mum was actually telling me about something that happens when you excercise, and I totally forgot wht it was, but it just gets your emotions and thought-process working. I get really depressed when I have writer's block, because writing is sort of my personal therapy, but excercising does actually help me. MAybe it will help you.]   Also, I realise this is n old thread. Apologies if you already have this problem solved. xx

elboe14 BRONZE, Plymouth, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can never pick a favorite quote, so here's just one that I like... "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch."

elboe14 BRONZE replied...
on Jun. 6 2014 at 9:08 pm
I'm the same way. It's really nice to write by a window then because you can look outside to get inspired which I find really helps.

AvengeMyBrokenSong GOLD, WHOOP, New York
18 articles 0 photos 83 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It takes more strength to cry at mid-defeat."
-Susan Boyle
"The closer you get to the light, the bigger your shadow becomes."
-Kingdom Hearts

on Jun. 24 2014 at 3:26 pm
I have this same problem! Tell yourself that you are NOT going to think about or even look at the progress on your book, article, etc., and ideas will come. The mind doesn't like being forbidden to do something, you'll come up with ideas. Trust me:)

KkatKreationz PLATINUM, Minerva, Ohio
31 articles 0 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." :)
-Me.

on Dec. 10 2014 at 9:14 pm
I always ask myself, What if...  Like, What if humans only live off of something specific?  What if there is no more internet?  What if....  I ask myself, What would happen if? And i always change where I write. If i write at home at a desk, i tend to run out of ideas. So i move to a cafe and start typing peoples conversations, for fun.  Hope this helps! 

Denim PLATINUM, Sault Ste Marie, Other
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We Murder to Dissect."- William Wordsworth

Lyrical Ballads

Denim PLATINUM replied...
on Jan. 14 2015 at 12:36 pm
I watch movies and read to help with inspiration. Other than that, I find going to school and attending class is an extreme motivator.   I don't know how old you are--I'm freshly 18, and I started University in September. The only reason this is relevant is because University, in my opinion, is a trillion times better than High School. My degree is English Literature, so I spend my time reading. I hope this helps. ~A

PhilMoore4-H GOLD, Dover, Delaware
13 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be the change you want to see in the world!"

PhilMoore4-H GOLD replied...
on Jan. 22 2015 at 10:42 am
For an English assignment, I basically summarized the movie Annabelle. I don't recall what the assignment was, but doing that worked for it.  If you're having difficulty being creative, just remember that it's hard to have an original idea anymore and that sometimes it is okay to take inspiration from what has already been ceated. People do that all of the time. Think of Romeo and Juliet and how many times that's been adapted. Also, in movies, Paranormal Activity was the basis for many other movies. Just have fun with writing, things can always be combined if you want them to (Into the Woods).

Mulan, Orrville, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Your reputation is only a reflection of your personality

Mulan replied...
on Feb. 12 2015 at 10:03 pm
Just be yourself. Let your imagination run wild! Examine nature or anything that inspires you. You could even get an idea from things that are right at home! Good luck and let me know if you need anymore help!

N4745h4_writes, Peterborough, Other

Favorite Quote:
The day you realize that you're perfect is the day you'll realize that you've wasted your life trying to fix something that was never broken. ~N.B.

N4745h4_writes replied...
on Feb. 14 2015 at 6:44 pm
It's the same thing with me, I find that if I am being forced to write, I can't. But sometimes just a memory or a picture can spark something in me to write. Most of the time it's just small, but it can bring a lot forward, and the words just spill out.

Funkyman BRONZE, Waco, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 14 comments
Funkyman BRONZE replied...
on Feb. 25 2015 at 9:44 am
What do you like to write about?

AwesomeWriter SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
8 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What light is to the eyes - what air is to the lungs - what love is to the heart, liberty is to the soul of man.
Robert Green Ingersoll

on Feb. 26 2015 at 4:37 pm
Maybe you could try opening a random notebook page or computer document and start thinking about things that you like to think about. For me, it's queens, magic, and bad guys. Start writing randomly about those things, and maybe you could overcome your Writer's Block with that. Let me know if it works. 

V.Schwartz SILVER, Tomahawk, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment
V.Schwartz SILVER replied...
on Feb. 27 2015 at 2:42 pm
I like to listen to music when I write. If im listening to something happy then I tend to write something happy. Listen to your favorite song and write about what that song reminds you about

casey_lg PLATINUM, Clemmons, North Carolina
20 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"history, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." -Maya Angelou

casey_lg PLATINUM replied...
on Apr. 19 2015 at 11:04 am
Find something beautiful around you. Anything. It could be a person, an object, or an animal. Maybe even a place. Write about that.

Fiddler SILVER, Sauk City, Wisconsin
6 articles 6 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I was one of the children told, some of the blowing dust was gold." -Robert Frost

Fiddler SILVER replied...
on May. 12 2015 at 9:23 am
I have the same problem too. Especially in school when your teacher tells you to sit down and write something and you just don't know what to write. I can always think of a bunch of stuff when I'm at home, but never at school! I suggest just blocking out everyone and everything around you and just start thinking about stuff that interests you.

celticstudygirl PLATINUM, Vermilion, Other
23 articles 2 photos 44 comments
on Jun. 7 2015 at 12:03 am
I don't like it when I have writers block. It is most common with school assigned stuff or for testing or for practice testing. I just can't think up of anything and/or don't even know where to start at all.

ThisEmilyDa1 SILVER, BF, New Mexico
6 articles 0 photos 101 comments

Favorite Quote:
only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile
-Albert Instien
the only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

ThisEmilyDa1 SILVER replied...
on Aug. 22 2015 at 3:07 pm
some people say that there is no such thing as writers block, so i guess it depends on your point of veiw. for me i can come up with any idea from anything i see, hear, think of, or whatever. try this for coming up with story ideas: imaging every conversation you are having as if it wasversation in that atre having those conversations and build astory to wrap around it. maybe you are taking to you friend about their lost dog. so perhaps the story might be about a lost . it's up to you to make the story interesting or decide weather otr not you should write a story about it at all. if you already have a story that you are working on and experienceing writers block, take a break for a while, more ideas will come to you. sometimes i get writers block from plot holes, they can be a real pain. so try to avoid those ax much as possible. and don't over think things, i always lose my motivatoin if i think too far ahead in the story. good luck.    

TheShaddowedSnow,
TheShaddowedSnow replied...
on Aug. 26 2015 at 11:08 am
Don't push yourself! Carry around a notebook and pencil or pen and write diwn scenes or characters that come to mind, once you can't think of anything to write, stop, do soemthing else, and take a break.   It aso helps me to maybe write something else or even some fanfiction, in a way, of my story and charachters or do some oc interveiw things on Diviantart and such.   Hope this helps :)

A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
86 articles 11 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

A.Marcus DIAMOND replied...
on Nov. 13 2015 at 12:17 pm
When I get writers block, I write something completely pointless on a page, whether it be "Sherman lived in a house" or "Abraham Lincoln's hat had a name and that name was Kidney Bean" and go with it.  For example:  What did Sherman do in his house?  Who else was in his house?  Did he have a job or friends that he also did or met with in his house?  What did the house look like?  Was there a death or fire in the house at some point?  Or:  What did Kidney Bean do?  Did Kidney Bean travel through time and save people when Honest Abe wasn't around to wear him?  Did he change color?  What did he witness while Abraham Lincoln wore him?  What did he think about it?  It usually gives me a head start on getting ideas flowing again.

lost_girl_1573, Winterpark, Florida

Favorite Quote:
" forever has 7 letters but so does goodbye "

lost_girl_1573 replied...
on Nov. 18 2015 at 10:58 am
thats a good idea , i will try it . thank you