Writers block | Forums | TeenInk

Writers' Workshop Forums

Mineash, Evansville, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments
Mineash replied...
on Apr. 26 2016 at 1:12 pm
first, think about your characters. what kind of problems could happen because of there flaws and diferences? if they dont get along, then maybe they could fight. if they rush into things without thinking, have them do something stupid. then, think about your, er, their enemy. how could he explait what just happened? then think of a way they could get out of it, and add some twists. now, think about what caused them to do that in the first place. why? what happened? now, why did that happen? keep doing that, and soon you have the endoskeliton of a story.

Mineash, Evansville, Indiana
Mineash replied...
on Apr. 26 2016 at 1:13 pm
*exploit.....

Gstudent21,
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Gstudent21 replied...
on May. 3 2016 at 4:59 pm
It helps if I read something that will help give me inspartaion. I don't write well if i am tired.   

ZellBell BRONZE, El Cerrito, California
1 article 4 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser"
--John W. Gardner

ZellBell BRONZE replied...
on May. 31 2016 at 7:40 pm
I like to take a walk when I have writers block. when I do that ideas just flow.

jenb2499 GOLD, Thousand Oaks, California
12 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We love the things we love for what they are."
Robert Frost

jenb2499 GOLD replied...
on Jun. 18 2016 at 12:31 am
Pay attention to everything around you! I know it's obvious, but a lot of times I get inspiration from people-watching at the mall or from listening to the lyrics in a song and imagining a story to fit the lyrics. Or just try writing whenever you can, even if it's a quick little blurb on your phone. It might blossom later. :)

sparkle2004, Yorktown, Virginia
0 articles 1 photo 0 comments
sparkle2004 replied...
on Jul. 8 2016 at 8:21 pm
I say write about orphans alone on the street that are in a gang

Aaliyah_Williams03 BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 8 comments
on Oct. 1 2016 at 6:12 pm
this may sound weird but when I'm stuck I water the grass and think about what I wrote and compare it to me then I get lost in what i'm thinking about. Hope this helps. 

ERrom,
ERrom replied...
on Oct. 4 2016 at 2:29 am
Water the grass? It helps?

Attica SILVER, Pittsfield, New Hampshire
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Attica SILVER replied...
on Oct. 17 2016 at 12:41 pm
Hello Wildheart, I have had the same issue and still often struggle with it. This may be due to where you are writing, your writing process, or what you are writing with. It may seem silly, but where you're writing matters. I recommend that you go different places and write, see where you can come up with the most ideas and observe what makes that place different from every other place in whcih you write. You might write better in solitude, or you may write better in a coffee shop surrounded by many other poeple. Or, you could write best in nature. Certain environments stifle your imagination and your focus. Secondly, you may have the idea that you have to start at the beginning of each story. This is totally UNTRUE. If you come up with an amazing battle scene, write about it then expand upon that scene. Or, if you come up with the perfect ending, write about it then write your way toward the beginning of the book. Your readers don't see the process, they only see the finished product. Third, it may sound silly, but what you write with or write on could make a difference. Some people may do best typing out something, and some people need to write things down by hand. If you enjoy writing things down by hand, buy some wierd little doodads to spur on your imagination like an amazing notebook or a wierd pen with a super cool pencil and eraser. The answers to this problem are endless. Have fun and I hope that you find your sweet spot for writing! -Attica

Sparaxis GOLD, Saint Marys, Georgia
13 articles 0 photos 306 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you keep on picking on me, I'll mess up again. This time, on PURPOSE."

Sparaxis GOLD replied...
on Jan. 2 2017 at 7:43 pm
One thing I started doing when I got a bad case of writer's block was keeping a dream journal. Some of the stuff I dreamed about has ended up in some of my stories.

Favorite Quote:

Sparaxis GOLD replied...
on Jan. 2 2017 at 7:47 pm
I think my writer's block works like that. Oftentimes when I'm visiting someone else's house (especially if their house doesn't have any bad memories or isn't stressful), I get creative. I think it happens because you might be getting tired of the same surroundings or you're in a place where you can't concentrate or something.

Jacklen, Springfeild, Kentucky

Favorite Quote:
The gentile times are over!!!- Br.Russell

Jacklen replied...
on Mar. 8 2017 at 9:02 pm
I like to look up topics online and for some reson always end up finding some cool guide or worksheet to help me create a new/uniqe topic!!!!

ERrom,
ERrom replied...
on Mar. 14 2017 at 8:16 am
I read an interesting article online, can't remember where.  It says, there's no such thing as a writer's block. It's just a tired mind still recovering from your previous writing work. Simply put, you're too bored to write and somehow secretly expect to get the work done really fast.

Blurryface_ BRONZE, Auburn, California
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I didn't get my acceptance letter from Hogwarts so I'm leaving the Shire to become a Jedi."

Blurryface_ BRONZE replied...
on Mar. 18 2017 at 1:11 am
I get writers block ALL THE TIME! When i can't think of something what I do is just search up story starters. It'll give you one to two scentances, for example, "She was sure this was where he had dissapeard." 

Blurryface_ BRONZE, Auburn, California
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I didn't get my acceptance letter from Hogwarts so I'm leaving the Shire to become a Jedi."

Blurryface_ BRONZE replied...
on Mar. 18 2017 at 1:13 am
and that can help get your creative juices flowing and it gets easy to come up with a story from there it's really cool

Favorite Quote:

Sparaxis GOLD replied...
on Apr. 7 2017 at 4:09 pm
I also tend to write about whatever that bugs me. The Internet White Whale is one of my stories derived from that.

Palindrome PLATINUM, Reedley, California
39 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If there's a reason I'm still alive when so many have died, I'm willing to wait for it."
-Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton

"Crazy people don't know they're crazy. They think they're getting saner."
-John Locke, Lost

Palindrome PLATINUM replied...
on Apr. 11 2017 at 1:37 pm
There are these great writing prompts on Pinterest called "Kill the Cliche". Basically, they take a trope found in lots of books and turn it completely on its head. For me, this always gets my writing juices flowing! If you don't see one you like, you can always do the same on your own. Think up a cliche you've seen time and time again, and base a story on its complete opposite.

Artistic_Geek_Roo_10 SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
6 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found in the darkest of places, but only if one remembers to turn on the light."
Albus Dumbledore

on Apr. 24 2017 at 7:33 pm
Try looking at writing prompts or story starters online! That helps me!

ShadowBloom BRONZE, Amarillo, Texas
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Wrong it's a list!"

ShadowBloom BRONZE replied...
on May. 18 2017 at 3:18 pm
I like writing fantasy books in my spare time. It's kind of like my second resort for writing.

T.P.RickSecker,
T.P.RickSecker replied...
on Oct. 17 2017 at 4:46 pm
you are too worried about wriers block it happens to everyone and whe it dose Just sit Down watch some Tv listen to some music or talk with some of youre friends.