Writers block | Forums | TeenInk

Writers' Workshop Forums

vercanadas,
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments
vercanadas replied...
on Dec. 30 2017 at 1:10 am
The best thing that's worked for me when I have writer's block is to not overthink about it. Just let the writing flow.

yvnglupita SILVER, Sacramento, California
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"why live in your head when you can say it out loud"

yvnglupita SILVER replied...
on Jan. 24 2018 at 2:49 pm
Write about the most embarrasing thing that has happed to you

Alise_Wing SILVER, Kentfield, California
8 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
“To gain your own voice you have to forget about having it heard.”
― Allen Ginsberg

Alise_Wing SILVER replied...
on Jan. 31 2018 at 12:34 am
try editing your old work instead - that way, you can still be productive when you're not writing anything new

ren.egade BRONZE, Berkeley, California
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
ren.egade BRONZE replied...
on Feb. 17 2018 at 7:31 pm
This really works for me, or if you dont want to go out and create a new experience, buil off of a moment in you past, and twist up your own story into something else, but start with something your familiar with. I'm working on a story right now and the beggining is based off of when i went cliff jumping. The writing flows beautiful after that

ren.egade BRONZE, Berkeley, California
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
ren.egade BRONZE replied...
on Feb. 17 2018 at 7:32 pm
interview your charectors!

RainyDayDreams PLATINUM, Masontown, Pennsylvania
24 articles 23 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you never know who would love the person you hide." ~ C.S. Lewis

on Feb. 23 2018 at 10:54 am
Sometimes it helps to take a day or so break from your writing. Wait for things to come to you. If it's something you have a time-limit on, though, try doing a couple free-writes. They could pertain to what you are writing about, or they could be completely unrelated. Also, try working on activities or participating in at least one other hobby you may have. Regarding the story you are writing, try asking other people for another opinion. More often than not, they will provide you with different ideas. Lastly, do not be afraid of deep criticism. Some of the best writes take in criticism and adjusts their writings accordingly. (Just do not overdo it and take every suggestion or complaint majorly. Seek help from those who know you and treat you well.)

Rohan_Iyer BRONZE, Woodinville, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Through an Action, a Man becomes a Hero. Through Death, a Hero becomes a Legend. Through Time, a Legend becomes a Myth. Through hearing a Myth, a Man takes an Action....

Rohan_Iyer BRONZE replied...
on Mar. 14 2018 at 4:48 pm
Something that works for me is watching good Anime. seeing the amazing worlds, characters, and storylines inspires me to create something grand as well.

InkyOwl SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana
9 articles 1 photo 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
Where Words fail, Music speaks.
~Hans Christian Anderson

InkyOwl SILVER replied...
on Apr. 12 2018 at 6:51 pm
Music is the perfect weapon to use in the battle against writer's block. I try to find a picture that strikes my soul and matches the song that I am listening to, and voila...INSTANT INSPIRATION!

Pure_Leo BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.” - Niccolo Machiavelli

Pure_Leo BRONZE replied...
on Aug. 13 2018 at 3:31 am
I have the same problem. I just search google for writing prompts or story ideas

SilverPhoenix, ---, Other
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
SilverPhoenix replied...
on Nov. 5 2018 at 9:57 am
I suggest typing random letters and trying to make sense of it or make a name out of and create a character based off of the name. Or do something else with those letters! (like imagine a place or animal)
I will post stuff soon and please check it out! (I need advice too)

SilverPhoenix, ---, Other
SilverPhoenix replied...
on Nov. 5 2018 at 10:11 am
I suggest typing random letters and trying to make sense of it or make a name out of and create a character based off of the name. Or do something else with those letters! (like imagine a place or animal)
I will post stuff soon and please check it out! (I need advice too)

Also, I have an example:
iuhnvuijqjeqrgvjuhreadvuafwbiuwhfiueudkuvgyebnhjuugeilwhaulighyahli
I see vuji, like Fuji and I think of volcanic islands
I see fiueud like feud and i think ooh! a story about someone who is banished to a volcanic island because of a family feud. Then I see Eil which sounds like a good name and whual like whale and I think of a whale named Eil who rescues the person.

I challenge you to write a story about this!

Sammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Lincoln, Nebraska
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments
on Nov. 5 2018 at 1:27 pm
You could write a romance novel

WolfWhisperer0911, Austin, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 643 comments
on Jan. 11 2019 at 8:12 am
Oooooooooh boy, for me, I believe that everyone has the Writer's Block one in their writing life, but the only way is to either take a break (maybe go for a walk, watch television or Youtube, play a video game, whatever you want to do) or maybe stop and check out some websites that offer or generate ideas for anything you can think of. Hope my advice helps.

LittleStorySparrow SILVER, Spokane, Washington
8 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it's stupid."
-Albert Einstein

on Feb. 17 2019 at 1:06 am
I would suggest reading my new article "Lighten Up: Writer's Block." It includes several ways to cure it that have worked for me and some other information about it. I hope it helps! If you're getting this before it is approved, you'll have to wait a bit!

K1dby, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"War doesn't prove who is right. Only who is left."

K1dby replied...
on Feb. 20 2019 at 5:46 pm
Go for a walk, write a list of things you want in your story, watch a movie, reread your favorite book, do some writing excersizes, play some games, or even sit in front of that gosh darn computer until you get answers xD

EtherTwelveTwentySeven, Lake Stevens, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
She's a thunderstorm
wrapped in beautiful
flesh, looking to be
felt and understood
in a world that loves
sunny days
-JmStorm

on Apr. 14 2019 at 9:26 pm
That's a good idea. I would also suggest that if you don't feel like writing, then just don't write. Wait until you feel inspired. Think about something you struggle with, or maybe a problem you're dealing with right now. I find that I write my best work when I base it on something I'm struggling with.

DragonWolf77 GOLD, Madison, Alabama
15 articles 8 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Pretend to be strong, eventually you’ll realize you’re not pretending anymore.

DragonWolf77 GOLD replied...
on Jul. 8 2019 at 3:26 pm
I always have issues with writer’s block, I can start a story and it will sound great but then when I try to continue it I got nothing. Reading books of the same genre of what I’m trying to write usually helps, that, and ice cream.

jellybean27, Danville, Pennsylvania
jellybean27 replied...
on Aug. 28 2019 at 6:41 pm
I like to pick an emotion. It's probably best to do whatever you're feeling, but I like really negative emotions (anger, betrayal, pain, sadness, etc.). Then just write a really dramatic piece based solely around this emotion. Try to capture it so well that if someone else read it and were asked to describe the emotion it conveyed they'd get it spot on. For example, if you choose sadness write about a rainy funeral. It could be from the perspective of someone who was to wed this person the next day. Or a father who just got back from serving in the military only to find out that his only family member just passed on in a tragic accident.

When I use this my piece usually comes out overly dramatic and sometimes cliche, but I've gotten a surprisingly large number of characters by using this prompt. If nothing else it gets your writing warmed up and your wheels turning.

Mysterious_woman99, Attleboro, Massachusetts

Favorite Quote:
Like stardust glistening on fairy wings, little girls dream of magical things.

on Sep. 29 2019 at 2:23 pm
@FlamableFyre I want my first article that I submit to be done with special care and have lots of time and effort invested in it along with talent but I am very stuck. I don't know if my first topic should be politics or a poem. I am not sure if I should write a bunch of fiction short stories or what. I hope you can help me get started. I would really appreciate some help. Whatever you decided thanks in advance.

AdrianI BRONZE, Beaverton, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Wisdom is found not in the minds of men, but on the pages of the stories they have written

AdrianI BRONZE replied...
on Oct. 16 2019 at 10:18 am
in my opinion, go out and take a walk. heck, watch a movie or play a video game. Find something in the real world that inspires you in your writing. For ex. The trees moving in the breeze could help you build the backdrop, or even a character.