Writers block | Forums | TeenInk

Writers' Workshop Forums

Yuelong GOLD, Bellevue, Washington
17 articles 0 photos 92 comments

Favorite Quote:
Win the Darwin award already!

Yuelong GOLD replied...
on May. 11 2010 at 11:30 am
i get writer's block all the time. i think writers get a block because they feel like they have to write it all at the same time. that causes you to stress out and it blocks out your idea flow. i get past writer's block by taking a minute to stop thinking, then when i start thinking again it makes the story make sense. btw, check out my articles! i write romance fantasy and poetry.

Cooling_Fever BRONZE, Roy, Utah
4 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We Partake In The Blood And Soul Of This Glorious Sacrifice."

on May. 12 2010 at 8:20 am
I agree with you, usually I get writer's block when I spend to much time writing and not taking any breaks. Like you said, if you take some time to relax and stop thinking then you should come back with some new and fresh ideas!

still-a-novice BRONZE, Balderdash, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Attention people! This is life here! This is not a rehersal. I repeat, Life is not a Rehersal!

on May. 20 2010 at 5:18 pm
Yeah, I am the same way. If I listen to music, I can come up with an entire story, just by thinking about what could happen. Also, you could try to simply let it go and come back later. I have done that many times.

Yuelong GOLD, Bellevue, Washington
17 articles 0 photos 92 comments

Favorite Quote:
Win the Darwin award already!

Yuelong GOLD replied...
on May. 24 2010 at 11:38 am
i learned this from experience, i'm working on nine books at the same time, i have to make sure i don't mix up the storylines or the character's names, or have crossover characters if that's not supposed to happen, i especially stress about the personality and tone of the immediate person speaking and the situation they're in. since this is fantasy to boot, i have to make sure the imaginary terms are correct for the story. so sometimes i have to stop thinking and then everything falls into place.

Striker GOLD, Wichita, Kansas
11 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who care about you and forget about those who don't."

Striker GOLD replied...
on Jun. 3 2010 at 9:58 pm
 One thing you can try is to write about not being able to write. It is very surprising what you can come up with. I came up with an entire short story around the idea.

bobun16 SILVER, Mesa, Arizona
7 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
is this a trick question or what?-Calvin and Hobbes

bobun16 SILVER replied...
on Jun. 8 2010 at 7:30 pm
I do the same as still-a-novice, I listen to music that gets me anergized, and I try and come upo with an idea that excites me. A situation I think it would be exciting to be in, something fun, with adventure.

lilly_valley GOLD, Shiloh, Ohio
11 articles 0 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what your gonna get. :)

lilly_valley GOLD replied...
on Jun. 13 2010 at 2:05 pm
I know I absolutley hate writers block. It's as if it is a ghost who haunts every writers mind pushing us towards failure. I despise this. Someone needs to call TAPS or maybe even the Ghost Busters. 

Kitty22 BRONZE, Hudson, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
" God has a reason for everything"

Kitty22 BRONZE replied...
on Jun. 15 2010 at 11:25 pm
i need some ideas for last names for my main character. my story is set in a make beleive middle eastern style country and is an action adventure story.

XEllisX BRONZE, Medina, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Nick: He's like a five year old, with GUNS, and a comprehensive grasp of every swear word in the English language. B|

XEllisX BRONZE replied...
on Jun. 17 2010 at 8:29 pm
*raises hand* This may sound...wrong, I guess. XD But I suggest actually READING other people's work. It actually really helps me if I'm in a rut. 83 Take a break too! Try not to THINK about writing, after a few days start writing again. This ALSO helps me bunches. But what really surprises me is I can get motivation from stuff around me. Such as video games! XD I've just finished Left 4 Dead 2, which is a zombie shooter. Since then I've been writing little drabbles about zombie apocolpyses and fanfiction nonstop. XD So you never know, if you get out and try and forget about your block...something'll come to ya! ;D

MadWriter BRONZE, Lorton Station, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"A Story nevre ends someone just decides to stop telling it"
"The World needs more giggles!"

MadWriter BRONZE replied...
on Jun. 21 2010 at 1:24 pm
try looking at whats happening in the world or reading a differnent book. thats what i do

midnightelement SILVER, Queens Village, New York
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This is who I've been hiding and she's dying to be set free"

on Jun. 22 2010 at 10:07 pm
if you are having such a hard time with writing you should 1) find your favorite place to be (even if its the sidewalk) and sit there while listening to your favorite song. if that dosent work then try to imagine yourself as a character and what situation you are facing. =)

AidanR., Buffalo, New York
0 articles 0 photos 52 comments
AidanR. replied...
on Jul. 18 2010 at 8:13 am
I always take a walk or fix myself a cocktail and sit on my porch. Either way I let my mind wander, and that does wonders.

WordNerd32 BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be great in act, as you have been in thought." - William Shakespeare

WordNerd32 BRONZE replied...
on Jul. 19 2010 at 9:16 am
Try to write off of your current mood. I do that when I'm stuck, and I end up with a great piece added to my novel!

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other
8 articles 2 photos 513 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live for today, not for tomorrow

on Jul. 23 2010 at 1:08 am
I just let my mind wander and if I think of anything interesting, I write it down. I have a notebook beside my bed and write down any ideas that come to mind.

KirstynAlexandra PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
24 articles 0 photos 71 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"I\'m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can\'t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don\'t deserve me at my best.\"
— Marilyn Monroe

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

on Jul. 26 2010 at 3:18 pm
WAYS TO GET RID OF WRITER'SLOCK:

1. HAVE SOMEONE GIVE YOU 4 RANDOM WORDS. COMPLETELY RANDOM! MAKE UP A SENTENCE FOR EACH WORD. THEN, TRY TO INCORPORATE THOSE SENTENCES INTO A STORY.

2. WRITE A STORY ABOUT YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

3. DO A BRAIN DRAIN. A BRAIN DRAIN IS WHEN YOU WRITE DOWN WHATEVER RANDOM THOUGHTS THAT ARE IN YOUR HEAD. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOUR PARAGRAPH OR STORY MAKES SENSE BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST WRITING YOUR RANDOM THOUGHTS. THEN, MAYBE YOU COULD PULL OUT SOME OF THOSE THOUGHTS TO PUT THEM IN A STORY.

4. HAVE ONE PERSON WRITE DOWN AN AREA, ANOTHER PERSON DESCRIBE A PERSON, AND ANOTHER PERSON WRITE A CONFLICT. THEN, YOU CAN MAKE A STORY OUT OF IT.

KirstynAlexandra PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
24 articles 0 photos 71 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"I\'m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can\'t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don\'t deserve me at my best.\"
— Marilyn Monroe

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

on Jul. 26 2010 at 3:18 pm
Hey, can someone plz read my pieces? I have things about celebs, current events, and a short memoir. I still have more stuff that is pending, but u guys definitely should check it out. Thnxz!

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other
8 articles 2 photos 513 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live for today, not for tomorrow

on Jul. 27 2010 at 1:47 am
I love LuvKirstyns14's idea! I've never thought of that! Good one!

Wordart SILVER, Arvada, Colorado
9 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hate is forgotten love.

Paranoya is the brute strength of fear.

Gum is sticky, like time.

Wordart SILVER replied...
on Jul. 28 2010 at 12:45 am
Well the traditional way, look around and ispiration might come to you, use your life and change aspects like the feeling of love to the taste of blackberries, or do like I do, write about the writer's block, but my poem is still pending approval.

LoEssie BRONZE, Freeport, New York
3 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
A room without books is like a body without a soul. I don't know who wrote that, it was just on an advertisement at my library. . . hahaha.

LoEssie BRONZE replied...
on Jul. 30 2010 at 11:47 am
There should be a pill for writer's block. I'm just waking from my writer's block coma. . .

Coop123 BRONZE, Mt. Airy, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
Deja vu'! This is the part where I tell you to SHUT UP!!!

Coop123 BRONZE replied...
on Aug. 10 2010 at 1:02 pm
Just read alot of differnt books at once then ull collect ideas