Writers block | Forums | TeenInk

Writers' Workshop Forums

Lillie GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska
16 articles 24 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"My gelding was sold to me as a gentlemen. He is. Whenever we go over a fence, he insists on ladies first."
-Unknown

Lillie GOLD replied...
on Aug. 11 2010 at 8:55 pm
Same, I hate state writing assignments.  The topics are so lame and I always seem to get distracted by the window.  A million stories will pass through my head, none of them having to do with the essay I'm supposed to be writing. sigh

seekingFaith BRONZE, Kennesaw, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you..."

seekingFaith BRONZE replied...
on Aug. 17 2010 at 9:20 pm
Well... it helps if you write when you are in the mood... it'll sound best that way..

but it also helps if you go back through you work and (if you are using characters) pretend that you ARE the character(s)... it's kinda like acting, only inside your head. It helps me to figure out how the my characters might be feeling, and what I should write next.

hopefully this helps! :))

CrazyWriter GOLD, Lorton Station, Virginia
16 articles 2 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Once you have given up on the most important thing in your life, you begin to die, because then, you gradually lose your true self"~Hana Kimi
"Someone who can lie to themself. . . is lonely, and in pain"~Hana Kimi

CrazyWriter GOLD replied...
on Aug. 18 2010 at 9:21 am
whenever i get writer's block i look at the news on TV and see what people are making a big fuss about in the world o rturn on the radio  and listen to one sentecnce and finish the sentence with something eles which usually gives mme a idea

luvlywriter BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments
luvlywriter BRONZE replied...
on Aug. 21 2010 at 6:29 pm
watch the people around you. A lot of times, I get ideas about characters by looking at the actions of random people. It not only gives you inspiration, but it also makes your characters more realistic if you base them off of real people. 

AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
48 articles 3 photos 608 comments

Favorite Quote:
"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

AsIAm PLATINUM replied...
on Aug. 21 2010 at 9:12 pm
I know the feeling!  I am cursed with mediocre writing if I don't feel like writing at the exact time I am. *sigh*

PearlWhiteNight BRONZE, No, Pennsylvania
3 articles 7 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." -Mark Twain

on Aug. 28 2010 at 11:08 am
On my cellphone u can take notes, so when i get inspired by anything (like a random thought or the place where I am) i write it down. then when i cant think of anythinng to write i look at my notes and just pick on to write about. i also find eavesdropping to be very inspiring : )

emily12mhs replied...
on Sep. 3 2010 at 10:05 pm
Carry a small notebook around with you at all times. When you witness things happening it sparks ideas. Write those ideas down so you can go back to it later and elaborate on a poem, story, etc.

singergurl12 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida
15 articles 0 photos 191 comments

Favorite Quote:
Fairy tales are true, not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.

singergurl12 GOLD replied...
on Sep. 9 2010 at 9:19 am
i usually like to create a completely random character, then build a story up around him. Good luck!! and if you feel like it- check out one of my stories! thanks!

TheMagnificantLamp, Miami, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 29 comments
on Sep. 19 2010 at 6:33 pm
I find a wonderful way to cure writers block is to read a thesaurus. words have so much power and inspiration behind them, one of them is sure to put a spark in you....also, looking at rain and nature and talking walks is great. it's good to take notes about ideas too.

Elisabeth GOLD, Nottingham, New Hampshire
10 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A true friend is hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."

Elisabeth GOLD replied...
on Sep. 23 2010 at 7:14 pm
Write about something that happened in your life... but maybe add different characters. This is what I do. I pick an event that truely mattered to me and change up the characters

AlyceMcKnight BRONZE, Rochester, Washington
1 article 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The pen is mightier than the sword."

on Sep. 24 2010 at 9:12 pm
Look around, travel, observe!

KunaiNinjaFighter SILVER, Monticello, Arkansas
7 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Think left and thing right, Think low and Think High, Oh the thinks you can think up, if only you try!" Dr. Suess oh and "Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'- Albert Einstein

on Oct. 6 2010 at 2:00 pm
I HATE WRITERS' BLOCK! I try to listen to music that's in the same kind of mood as what I'm writing. That almost always snaps me out of the the Writers' Block Circle of Doom.

WintersFuri SILVER, Superior, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
May the gods have mercy on you because no one else ever will.

WintersFuri SILVER replied...
on Oct. 8 2010 at 6:10 pm
If you want to really have people understand or feel conected to your writing use real situations in your storys thats what helps me. Trying to get people to read my writing is my biggest problem what do you guys suggest?

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other
8 articles 2 photos 513 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live for today, not for tomorrow

on Oct. 9 2010 at 2:55 am
Upload some of your work and I'll have a look. Offer to do a swap with someone as that's the fastest way. Click on the "Special critique, offer ends Sunday" thread and you may find someone there. I know it's hard, I have problems finding people to read my work too! :)

AbbieLou GOLD, Warrington, Other
11 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
'The problem is not that we aim to high and miss it, but that we aim to low and reach it'

AbbieLou GOLD replied...
on Oct. 9 2010 at 6:39 am
What a good idea. I desperatley need some of thoose pills

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other
8 articles 2 photos 513 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live for today, not for tomorrow

on Oct. 9 2010 at 7:14 pm
AbbieLou: I'll read, comment and rate your work now.

SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota
34 articles 2 photos 658 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

on Oct. 11 2010 at 10:08 pm
Sometimes it helps me if I just don't write for a few days, then all my pent up creativity can all come out on a page at the end of that time. I don't know if that is your problem, but it might help.

Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York
33 articles 3 photos 311 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

on Oct. 13 2010 at 12:28 pm
man, i HATE when that happens.

u cant force urself 2 write a good novel, the idea has 2 come 2 u, u have to feel creative. Try reading more or just going with the flow of life. When an idea hits u, it's bound 2 b a good one!!

good luck :P

Princess Somefun BRONZE, Bronx, New York
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment
on Oct. 16 2010 at 1:45 pm
sure if u check mine.

holly.nicole SILVER, Templeton, Massachusetts
9 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's Only Awkward, If You Make It Awkward."

holly.nicole SILVER replied...
on Oct. 16 2010 at 6:33 pm
You may not want to do this but...i try to make myself really moody...i think about things that make me feel different emotions all at once.... or think of life experiences! I lvoe writing about what happened to me in the last week, month, year, or whenever! I like doing that when i have writers block!