Help With My Writing Thing | Forums | Teen Ink

Writers' Workshop Forums

Help With My Writing Thing

spellbinded posted this thread...
on Mar. 21 at 2:29 am

So I get really good and unique (in my opinion) ideas for stories, but when I try to write I cant get my ideas down without it sounding weird and stupid. I also can never seem to find the right words to ise to describe, and my writing ends up sounding like a little kid, even though I know I could make it sound WAY better. Any ideas???

spellbinded, Euless, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

spellbinded, Euless, Texas

Favorite Quote:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

spellbinded replied...
on Mar. 21 at 2:30 am
Also- I write Fantasy and Sci-Fi/ Dystopian

Telltheart, Hyattville, Maryland

Favorite Quote:
Don't let others limited imagination limit yours, Mae Jemison

Telltheart replied...
on May. 1 at 4:43 pm
When I can't think of the style of writing I want or if I don't like the way my writing comes out I normally think of the way another author wrote something that is from a similar genre and add my own flair.
Example:
*This example is from Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass*
"The man was about to tell her more when he caught sight of Lyra. She stared back at him unblinkingly, and perhaps he had had a little too much to drink, or perhaps he was keen to impress the young woman for he said: "This little lady knows all about it, I'll be bound, You're safe from the Oblation Board aren't you, my dear?" "

This is my way of writing in a whole different story:
The dragon had been seen in a forest or maybe it was a town. Nobody really knew, until a little girl reported to have seen one. "I saw it, I know I did!" the girl shouted. Nobody even thought to take her seriously. But by the time the town was half-burned down, every came running to the girl pleading: "Help us!" "You know what to do." and "Save us!!!"

Telltheart, Hyattville, Maryland

Favorite Quote:
Don't let others limited imagination limit yours, Mae Jemison

Telltheart replied...
on May. 1 at 8:52 pm
It seems that you are having trouble with word choice. I read 3 books every week to keep my writing
vocabulary up. Do you read a lot of books?

Anne_Moonlight, ., Other
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Of course it's happening in your head but why on Earth does that mean that it's not real

-Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Anne_Moonlight replied...
on Aug. 7 at 10:48 pm
Try explaining a lot without explaining a lot. Like don't put it all at once. Put the details in small parts. Don't use a lot of words for the same thing in the same sentence. I tried this thing. Actually helps

Anne_Moonlight, ., Other

Favorite Quote:
Of course it's happening in your head but why on Earth does that mean that it's not real

on Aug. 8 at 3:33 am
A catchy line in the beginning is what might really help. Without it neither the writer will find interest in writing more, nor will the reader think of it as a good piece. Like... take JKR for example. She started HP part 1 with "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.”

Anne_Moonlight, ., Other

Favorite Quote:

on Aug. 8 at 3:33 am
A catchy line in the beginning is what might really help. Without it neither the writer will find interest in writing more, nor will the reader think of it as a good piece. Like... take JKR for example. She started HP part 1 with "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.”