Perseus and Medasas (A short made-up greek story) | Forums | Teen Ink

Writers' Workshop Forums

Perseus and Medasas (A short made-up greek story)

WriteReadGirl posted this thread...
on Jun. 15 at 2:57 am

After King Polydectes received Medusa’s head from Perseus, he was very happy. He won battles all around Greece, and was proclaimed many different names. Here are a few: “Conqueror of the World”, “Son of Ares”, and even “Brother of Hercules”, “Black Haired-Brown Eyed Soldier Who Ruled the World”, and “Queen of the Amazons in a Man’s Coat”. Despite how silly these might be, he loved them, released Danae, Perseus’s beautiful olive haired and ocean eyed mother, and conquered the whole of Greece. Then he past it off as a tribute gift to Athena and got showered with riches and oaths to protect him and his kingdom and family, with Athena visiting him with dark hair and gray, prudent eyes. All went well, until one day, a servant in rags rushed to him in the magnificent dimly lit room, with gold and jewels glistening everywhere and a rich, red carpet on the floor. It smelled of money and anyone who would get a taste of this room, they would have certainly fainted. The touch of the carpet would make people want to sleep on it and the room was warm and hard. The only sounds were music played outside and the servant’s panting and his footsteps. He kneeled before the king and cried out, “Lord Polydectes! I have some fatal news. A fisherman spotted a beautiful woman, about as beautiful as Aphrodite, but as cruel as Eris! He saw her stamping on a poor squirrel and it turned to pure ice. He ran away to the Oracle of Delphi and Apollo told him that she is Medasas, Medusa’s sister, and only Perseus and a friend he will meet in his voyage can defeat her! She plans to attack your kingdom next!” The servant gasped for air and the king gasped for the sheer horror of the situation. He commanded Perseus to come to him. Perseus came in with golden hair and brown eyes with suspicion and asked, “What can I do for you, my lord?”. The king answered, “Well, there seems to be a sister of Medusa, called Medasas! I order you to kill her! And don’t complain, or I shall have your mother in the dungeons and I will throw the key into a ravine!”. Poor Perseus had to agree and he set sail with a little bit of food and water and a warm cloak and a spear and a bountiful number of maps in a double hulled canoe.

After he sailed for a bit, a violent storm came across the heavens, and Perseus’s boat was tossed around with him managing to barely hold on. Finally, the storm blew itself out, and Perseus wanted to know where he was. He identified a sharp, jutted rock in front of him. Then, he checked his maps. 1st map? No. 2nd map? No. 3rd map? No. When he was about to give up all hope, he checked his 4th map and identified a rock, called Needle’s Rock. To get to Medusa’s island (now Medasas’s), he had to cross the siren’s rock and the cave of Cyclops. The siren’s rock, shouldn’t be a problem, because all the sirens were now dead, right? Wrong.

It turned out yet another siren had been born, and Perseus spotted one and he started to panic. She was enormously beautiful, with flaming red hair, and sea green eyes Thank goodness the siren hadn’t seen him yet. He knew that the voice of her would make every person who heard it to jump overboard and it would be goodbye for them. Suddenly, he heard his mother’s voice speaking in his ears. “And then Orpheus jumped out from the Argonauts and started playing his harp to drown out the sirens’ voices…” He then had an idea and jumped up and yelled a loud, unearthly scream. The siren jumped about a foot into the air and crashed down into the water. She quickly started singing, but his scream was so loud and persistent, that soon, he found that the siren had given up, and drowned. He let out a whoop of joy and sailed on.

It was nearly night when he saw the Cyclops’ cave and was about to go past it, when he thought of Apollo’s prophecy that he will need a friend and thought, “Maybe Cyclops needs a friend! So first I will need to gain his trust, how about first with his eye!”. He settled down and heard Cyclops snore. He thought, “Good, he is asleep.” He built fire with stones and sticks. He gathered clay (on the wall), wool (from the sleeping sheep), a large boulder, and his spear. He then made an eye, the whites out of clay and wool and the pupil using the stone and he carved vessels using a spear. In the morning, Perseus cried, “Cyclops! Wake up! I have a gift for you!”. Perseus heard a thud in the cave and a second later, Cyclops himself came out and cried, “Who is there!”. His face looked like it had been squashed and his eyelid was closed with some blood dribbling out. He was enormously revolting. Perseus shouted, “It is I Perseus , and I have brought you present!”. Cyclops considered for a moment and said, “Ok, but it better be a good one or Poseidon will drown you!”. Perseus said, “Don’t worry, just the first part will be a bit painful. Lay down.” Once he had laid down, Perseus forcefully opened the eyelid and too out his bloody eye, amid yelps of pain. Then he lifted the artificial eye into the hole. Cyclops jumped up and cried loudly, “I CAN SEE!”. After lots of dancing, Perseus told him about his feat and Cyclops was glad to accompany him, and they finally reached the island.

As soon as they stepped foot on the island, Medasas sensed an intruder, and teared through the island at them. The island had drastically changed. Before, there was the smell of flowers and there was green everywhere. Now, there was just cold, cold ice everywhere and the smell was of ice. If anyone would try and taste it, it would taste like a cold bucked of water and your tongue would get stuck. When Perseus saw her, he was (literally) stunned by her beauty and was rooted to the spot. She had shining white hair and ice blue eyes, and she was dressed in the most spectacular robes with lots of blue. She ran like lightning at him and grabbed him by the elbow. He was instantly turned to ice.

Cyclops shrieked a shriek of pure anger. He was about to twist of her head, but then Charis, the goddess of forgiveness, came out of the air, and told him that Medasas was the daughter of Boreas (God of the North Wind) and Aphrodite, and therefore, was immortal. She told him not to hurt her, but Cyclops twisted her head off, anyways. Charis sighed, and replaced it and told that she will get a punishment, but she need not to be killed. Then she flew off with her, with her golden hair glistening behind, and her coal black eyes glistening in the sun. Cyclops cried to Poseidon to help return the life of his dear friend, and Poseidon asked, “Are you sure? Don’t you remember about that accursed Odysseus?”. “Someone who fixes my eye is never bad!”, Cyclops shot back. So after lots of pleading and begging, Poseidon commanded a wave to wash up a handkerchief on the shore, and told him to rub Perseus with it. Perseus instantly came back to life and both rejoiced. However, a piece of his leg had melted when they were talking. Then they stayed in Cyclops’ cave and were soon joined by Medasas, her heart new and forgiving. Her punishments were that she could no longer be immortal and lost her beauty and became an ordinary maiden. They stayed there for the rest of Perseus’ and Medasas’ life and when he died, Zeus threw up Perseus into the sky, and he became a constellation, while Medasas was thrown into the sea and brought to the river Styx, where she forgot about Perseus and Cyclops. Cyclops still dwells in that cave but never comes out, so he can forever see his friends in the pictures.

WriteReadGirl, Kolkata, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure"
-Rowena Ravenclaw (JK Rowling Harry Potter)

WriteReadGirl, Kolkata, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure"
-Rowena Ravenclaw (JK Rowling Harry Potter)

WriteReadGirl replied...
on Jun. 15 at 2:58 am
Can you please give me some feedback? :)

TheHatter3-14, Colorado Springs, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Life is Short. Smile while you still have teeth." - Unknown

TheHatter3-14 replied...
on Jun. 30 at 1:25 pm
This is a really cool idea! I really like the original thoughts and ideas you put into this. For example Medusa's sister is really unique and interesting character. There were parts throughout that did get a little confusing but overall this is a cool piece!