Feedback on You Look Like the Color Yellow | Teen Ink

Feedback on You Look Like the Color Yellow

By azra GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
azra GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Only dead fish go with the flow.

“You Look Like the Color Yellow” by Jillian Devine was an excellent fiction piece that I enjoyed reading. It was told through the point of view of a 58-year-old man after he has read the paper, learning that the body of a missing girl, Lily Adams, who he used to know in high school, was found after 43 years. He thought about Lily and how he never knew her, how he never wanted to know her when she was alive, how he wants to know her now.

The story was amazing because it was suspenseful and beautifully written. It also had an important theme-- that you should always try to get to know someone before it’s too late. The theme can extend to anything-- you just have to cherish something when you have it and treat every day like it’s your last. The narrator of this story still thinks about Lily, even 43 years after she went missing and he didn't see her anymore in his math class. He missed her asking about his day and having small conversations that he thought were annoying at the time. He didn't know what he had until it was gone.