Letter to George Bush | Teen Ink

Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

on Jun. 28 2010 at 2:44 am
Quinntre BRONZE, Montgomery, Texas
Hmm, he went to war with the terrorists and the countries that were harboring them, you know the same people who tried to kill us. It's funny how easy some people forget these things.

Maxwell said...
Maxwell, Rochdale, Massachusetts

"We are not retreating, we are merely advancing in another direction." General George S. Pattton, US Army

Bush didnt bring us into the recessio. The laws Clinton put into place did that. Things were set in motion before Bush was elected. Clinton's "balanced" budget? I believe there are some hidden figures there.

on Jun. 20 2010 at 6:49 am
shakesbeer GOLD, Middletown, Connecticut

i rather die on my feet than live on my knees

oh be quiet the congress does not start wars bush requested it that is well known. 

on Jun. 20 2010 at 6:47 am

and the rest of us with intelligence do not understand how you can bring an empire to its knees in eight years. you can join us and stopping being one of the "few", us intellectuals are trying to figure out what type of genius trys to fight an idea with rockets. 

on Jun. 20 2010 at 6:44 am

what? are you serious i hope this is sarcasm. thanks bush for serving or country the worst presidential policy and presidency ever.  

on Jun. 7 2010 at 10:01 am
EquineWriter BRONZE, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
We need the RIGHT kind of change, if we were to get any. This man that we elected, has certainly changed our country...

LukeM BRONZE said...
LukeM BRONZE, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

"Broadly speaking, the short words are the best, and the old words best of all." -Winston Churchill

Congress decides who we war with, not the president. Regardless of Bush's feelings for the subject it came down to them.

LukeM BRONZE said...
LukeM BRONZE, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

I think few people actually realize how hard it must be to be president. Well-written.

soccerrules if you have a war you need weapons and there was no recession really until after the election and i think people should stop making up excuses for obama he is not an angel or god himself if he wanted that he would probably do that

DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
I totally agree with you!! no 1 should trash her ideas, even if they disagree....but we do have the right 2 absolutely positively disagree.

NOW about the letter....I acually liked it. I am in no way a republican. not at all. but u wrote it very well and i respect you for that, even if i don't agree with you.

Emmalee....u definately did ur research. i didnt kno that bush did all of that stuff!! and i didnt exactly love him in the first place. u make an excellent point. and just letting everyone kno:OBAMA IS CHANGING THINGS. AND CHANGE IS EXACTY WAT WE NEED RIGHT NOW. HELLO!! PLEAZ TELL ME U DIDNT THINK THAT THE COUNTRY WAS GOING JUST FINE B4 HE CAME!!

soccerrules said...
I think you have forgotten to mention how president Bush brought us into the war and recession. He fought with Iraq on oil, war. He spent so much money on weapons and war stuff, that we went into the recession. I give Obama much credit for coming into this in such a hard time. He is trying his best and I think will succeed in time.

singdance7 SILVER, Davenport, Iowa

"Do what you can with what you have with where you are" Teddy Roosevelt i think
"I love life because what more is there" Unknown
"Remember, the future comes one day at a time" Unknown

okay. That angers me when people judge a president by how many attacks america gets while they are in office. 9/11 was a sad day. It was also a very cleverly planned atack. But i would also like you to think... Bush didn't let any OTHER atacks happen did he? people always give him a hard time for the one tragic attack, that i admit wished america had seen. But nobody ever syas "Well at least he kept them out for the rest of his term!"

omgitsdanja said...
I cant stand that man. I dont think he would be able to handle it because all the media loves him because hes the new fad in America. The president for one is black so thats showing racial ways to move forward Im not racist or anything but he will never be attacked because hes worshiped...it disgusts me.

Kasumi BRONZE said...
Kasumi BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin

Life can be hard and sad, but there is good things in life, too

-hugs- Thank you! So many people don't see the good things in Bush any more. They bash him way too much! 

Good job writing this!

Shannon_Bananon, Loveland, Ohio

About talking; why don't people ever think before they talk? It would save so much trouble; it would also save me from wanting to slap about half of the world's population.
~Fictional Character (Brilliant, but, sadly, fake.)

Nowadays, it's so difficult to find people who recognize the good Bush did, but are also open to the new President. Though a Democrat at heart, I found this letter heart warming and true.

11coreya SILVER, Fullerton, California

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game" Babe Ruth

being president of the united states is the hardest job in the world... ever. many many presidents leave office with awful approval ratings but thirty years later people look back and realize what they did was good and they are considered some of the greatest presidents

11coreya SILVER, Fullerton, California

obama has contributed but obama wasnt attacked. if we get majorly attacked while he is in office it will throw him for a loop and i think and hope he can handle it. it definately messed with bush

hepburn said...
hepburn, Assd, Other

sdf

my subjective pov aside, this is nicely written..

i particularly respect you for expressing your point of view without "bashing" any other points of view. well done :)