Letter to George Bush | Teen Ink

Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

Homeschoolerevangeline BRONZE, BUKIT BERUANG. MELAKA, Other

When the dreams that you dream seems to disappear from view, that's the time to fight on and soon they'll all come through.

This is good. I love it. Poignant. Not many people appreciate Mr. Bush for what he did. He did his best... America is not an easy country to lead, for that matter. :)

Valtarov SILVER, Colorado Springs, Colorado

I said to the man at the gate, "Give me a light, that I may tread safely into the unknown." and he replied, "Go out into the darkness, and put your hand into the hand of God. That will to you be better than the light and safer than the Known."

I bet he said that in context that gave it different meaning. But the consequence of true atheism is pride and a complete lack of care for anyone but yourself. Since patriotism and citizenship require dedicating part of yourself to something higher than yourself, the true atheist cannot be either a true patriot nor a true citizen.

The President can only do his best to respond to whatever the world throws his way. Hurricane Katrina, not Bush, devastated New Orleans. And, well, after that, I really wouldn't want to live there either. The economy fluctuates. People were greedy, and it caused a whole system to crash. Bush did what he thought he legitimately could to help, and bad economic times don't mean we're divided (or at least I hope not).

What is there to disagree with? That Pres. Bush is a good man, regardless of whether you disagree with what he did?

President Bush went to war with the intention to stop Iraq from going nuclear and probably thus nuking Israel. Hussein was using WMDs on Iranians and his own people. We went in to take down a very, very evil man.

i<3steven! said...
i<3steven!, Newcastle, California

*john-son-johnson*
Inside Joke

okaaaaaaaaaaaaayy. this is a good point of view.

besticanbe SILVER, Edison, New Jersey

"There is no substitute for hard work."
-Thomas A. Edison

Wonderful article, lots of meaning.

Omgitsdanja said...
Yea Obama has contributed....contributed america into more debt

justin said...
According to the Gallup poll, Bush's approval rating was 34 percent when he left office. The good news is that he rating is higher than Nixon and Truman.

june said...
can you provide some factual data as to how much more debt did obama incurred during his short time being the president.

agarcia BRONZE said...
agarcia BRONZE, Santo Domingo, Other

One of my favorite personal quotes is:
"Therefore it is necessary for a prince, who wishes to maintain himself, to learn how not to be good,and to use his knowledge and not use it, according to the necessity of the case..." - Machiavelli

And Emmalee, if you didn't know already, Obama has contributed much more to the deficit than Bush did in both of his terms(8 YEARS). Keep in mind that Obama has only been president for a couple of months..

agarcia BRONZE said...
agarcia BRONZE, Santo Domingo, Other

One of my favorite personal quotes is:

I agree with your letter completely. Hopefully all goes well with Obama.. i don't think we need change- I think we need to progress. That progress would come with less consumption on all our parts..but yea, great writing btw..

Emmalee SILVER said...
Emmalee SILVER, Rayville, Louisiana

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Despite Bush's endless assurances that "Americans are safer," he did little to protect the U.S. from terrorist attacks. His administration spent more in Iraq in four days than they spent protecting our ports in four years. Bush often reminded us that we should be grateful to our soldiers, but in 2003, he proposed closing seven veterans hospitals, cutting combat bonus pay 33 percent, cutting assistance to soldiers' families by 60 percent and cutting $1.3 billion in veterans' health care. Not to mention, he did not attended the funeral of a single soldier killed in Iraq. Bush had his sights set on eliminating Social Security and was pushing for a system in which individuals' contributions went into private accounts. This is a great way to run America, as long as you aren't in the sixty percent of people who are in the working class. Give me a break. If Bush was doing his best, he should be ashamed.

And we don't need change? Look around. Change is the only hope we've got.

ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
I'm not sure if my last comment saved or not, so if it shows up, I'll look really strange--but just to make sure...

Emmalee: Despite everything, he was America's leader. I respect him simply because he wanted the best for America, he was our leader, and he was a fellow American and person. Beyond that, I think he's a political joke matched by only Sarah Palin. But I try to respect him instead of parading around my distaste like he was a dictator.

Iceman04606: We don't need change? That is the most ridiculous political statement I've heard on this site yet. Even most Republicans admit that we need change desperately. Newsflash: Obama saves!

ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
Emmalee: I respect him simply for the fact that he wanted the best for America and that he tried, (more or less.) Beyond that, I think he's a political joke surpassed only by Sarah Palin--but usually I choose not to parade my distaste of him around. Instead, I try to empathize and show respect. Despite everything, he is our leader.

iceman04606 said...
Want to know why you should show respect for him? I will tell you why, because he protected our freedom, however Obama is destroying everything that Reagan and Bush worked for. Change, something we DO NOT NEED.

Emmalee SILVER said...
Emmalee SILVER, Rayville, Louisiana

Why would you show him any respect? If you have any respect for yourself, you would convince this writer what a complete idiot he is. Oh wait... I just did.

ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
I'm resisting the urge to trash Former President Bush right now.

But I can see you have very much respect for him, and I about enough respect him as a person as well, despite everything.

And you can find his address in an instant with the world's most powerful tool: Google.

HaleyPotter SILVER, Henderson, Nevada

erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.

I don't like Bush &I think Obama is just making an even bigger mess out of everything that he screwed up, but I agree with your letter. He was with us in our darkest hours.

WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
By Gandhi.

no no no. I don't approve of him either. But he tried. Oh man, he tried to be a good Presidant