Letter to George Bush | Teen Ink

Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

Kyle C. said...
Butterfly, you're wrong. The economic crisis that we are in has nothing to do with Bush's policies. It's been brewing for years, and happened because of corporate business practices. There have always been Americans without health insurance. I certainly didn't agree with Bush on everything, but blaming him for all of that is just plain wrong. Your thoughts sound like those of a rambling partisan who, rather than actually LEARN about things, just spews biased hate. Besides, even if you disagree with a president, he/she still deserves your respect. It ain't easy being the president.

Butterfly said...
I completely disagree. The housing and mortgage crisis, unemployment, the wars, poor nutritional practices, lack of health insurance for the poor and indigent, social security insolvency, all of this started with one man and that is BUSH!

dtkane11 BRONZE, New Albany, Indiana
I would really like to see the it Bush would write back if he sent this to him.

zhector BRONZE said...
zhector BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri

To find love is not finding a perfect person, but seeing an imperfect person perfectly.

While I am not a fan of Bush I do agree with your letter! He has endured than most Presidents in his short Eight year term, and he did a fine job of staying strong for our country. Thank you for posting. Please send this to him!

EricBlair BRONZE, London, Other

"I understand HOW, I do not understand WHY" -George Orwell, 1984

Wow... I am a Bush-hater. I do know the value of the opposing argument and in that sense this is extraordinary valuable to me. I did not question my hatred of him for a second, but I now understand how and why.

He united the nation through fear.

His wars established a sense of purpose in his followers.

That is what I observe. I would like to state that his election was no mistake because he is proven to have cheated, but I do actually think you should find a way of getting this letter through to him, your writing style is outstanding. He could use a letter like this among all the hate mail you know he gets.

conservative71196 BRONZE, Harrison City, Pennsylvania

"THE KBG WILL WAIT FOR NO ONE!! Its true." -The Office

"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil." Psalm 23

Oh, too bad. ;(

I think he would have really liked it.

Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
No. I would really like to, but I didn;t write it until after he had already moved out of the White House so idk what address to send it to.

Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Thank you so much! :)

Oh and I was wondering, did you actually send this to him?

I completely agree with everything in this article. When I first saw it, I assumed that it would be an angry, hateful letter, because so many people hate George W. Bush. But, as I read it, I realized that some people still do agree with him and stand up for their beliefs. I am truly grateful that you posted this letter on Teenink and that so many people voted on this article and that it is the number one top voted article on Teenink. Thank you, again.

CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina

"It is time for us to realize that we are too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams."

- Pres. Ronald Reagan

Thank you so much for this article. Not only is it well written, but you told the complete truth that liberals and the media will deny to the end. I was six years old on 9-11 but I remember watching it on the news. My mother picked me up from school early and we went home to pray and cry. Our nation came together and came closer to God. Why do we only go to him when we are in trouble. We, as a nation, need to draw closer to Him, so that He will be with us even stronger during the dark moments of our lives. I also would like to thank George Bush. If i was of age, I would have voted for him. He withstood the things said about him and he was honorable and right. I am ashamed to say that much of the good he did is being undone by Barack Obama, but his memory and legacy will remain with us forever. God Bless!

PaigeRebecca BRONZE, Boyne City, Michigan

Be careful where you walk. Your footprints may lead an entire generation. -PaigeRebecca

While I completely disagree with your views on George Bush, I absolutely loved your writing style. You are very talented :)

truth said...
Although i strongly disagree with you views, I applaud you on this well-written article. Scanning over the comments i was very disturbed with "since it has been such a long time since the 9/11 attacks, people have forgotten that the threat is still strong and out there."(from The_Music_MAn) As a Muslim in the United States, I undergo religious discrimination frequently. Having to go to the airport and being scrutinized for one's religion and having been called a terrorist is not my idea of anyone forgetting anything. A certain gruop of extremists should not cast a awful stereotype on the entire Muslim people. George W. Bush did and said nothing after 9/11 to prevent this backlash on the entire Muslim religion. I urge everyone to not cast this stereotype on my religion and people because of the acts of extremists who do not follow the religion of Islam.

elarebadaxe SILVER, Portage, Michigan

OCCUPY MORDOR: because one ring shouldn't be allowed to rule them all.

I absolutely love it, everything about it. I love seeing that some people in America actually respect him as a person, instead of walking around saying that he is a total *fill in the blank*. Thank you for writing that, and for publishing it on Teen Ink!

amandapanda BRONZE, Durango, Colorado
I really enjoyed this article. Although I am definitely a supporter of George W. Bush, I want to remind everyone that just because you don't agree with the author's point of view doesn't mean absolutely trash the writing. Be sure to look at how well written this is. Even if I am a Republican all the way, if I saw a piece written this well about Obama, I would definitely give it a great rating as well. Yes, that's a challenge. I think this is a fantastic piece of work.

Madison17 BRONZE, Blue Springs, Missouri

"Listen, young talented dreamer, every moment counts from the good times to the bad."

This piece was very well written. And, while I disagree with your views on his presidency, I can appreciate the details you put in about your own life throughout the years of turmoil.

Riverine14 PLATINUM, Pinedale, Wyoming
I do not agree, at all, with your views on the so called "Great President Bush," although I will say that this is extremely well written. You have the right to your opinion and I have the right to disagree.

Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
I repeat what SANRA (very first comment) said. It was well written, and I don't really agree, but it's nice to see that Bush isn't totally hated by all USA. Besides, he's still human, and I actually kinda feel bad that so many people completely HATE him. I dislike his opinions and what he does, and I feel that he should have done differently, but that doesn't mean I don't like him as a human being! He still has freaking feelings!

emmyphan27 BRONZE, Rome, New York

ERIK: Are you very tired?
CHRISTINE: Oh, tonight I gave you my soul, and I am dead.
ERIK: Your soul is a beautiful thing, child. No emperor ever received so fair a gift. The angels wept to-night.

Very well written. I agree with most of what you said. I am a supporter of Bush, and people seem to forget all the good he's done (helping the fight for democracy in countries that are under the control of a terrible dictator *nudge, nudge*, donating billions of dollars for AIDS relief in Africa and such, etc). Yes, he messed up once in a while (what person hasn't?), but so does Obama. Just look at terrible healthcare he's trying to implement, or the horrible Cap n' Trade bill that his congress passed. And for all the Bush haters out there, I'm just stating that he wasn't the worst president the US has ever had. Jimmy Carter was. But of course, I'm biased. *shrugs*

Pahndah said...
Very well written, and I totally agree with the viewpoint. I think people who rant about Bush simply because they buy into the media or whatever's coming out of their friends' mouths are extremely ignorant. What a beautiful change, to see someone with a well thought-out viewpoint.