Letter to George Bush | Teen Ink

Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida

The only people for me are the mad ones... the ones who never yawn and say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders against the stars." - Jack Kerouac

he means investing, silly

TommyOoOoO said...
Yeah, THAT makes sense...

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

"The reason for your unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason that I have reason to complain of your reason" ~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Spend money to get money

TommyOoOoO said...
Has anybody who's saying Bush racked up waay too much debt in his presidency taken the time to crunch the numbers on how much money our current president has wasted in only one year?

TommyOoOoO said...

What's wrong with bending over backward for Isreal??? God said "I will curse them that curse you and bless them that bless you." Every nation that has turned their back on Isreal has failed. And we're heading to be the next because Obama has practically slapped Isreal in the face.

Oh, and have you even looked at how much money Obama has wasted in the um year??? he's been in office? Yeah, you have absolutly no argument there. Sorry.

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

yup, let's all blame this on Obama.  Nevermind that Bush took a 200 billion dollar surplus and shot it dead

jazzledazzle said...
jazzledazzle, Los Angeles, California
Keep in mind that debt has risen insurmountably since Obama entered office; we're paying debt regardless.

jazzledazzle said...
jazzledazzle, Los Angeles, California
*you're, Mr. Articulate

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

If they were told, alright here's the situation, and were misinformed that way, I doubt you could expect them to do their own research.  It would be a waste of time to them

Quinntre BRONZE, Montgomery, Texas
Because congress doesn't look at the facts at hand and do their own research right?

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

Oh I'm fully aware of that.  However, for the longest time it seemed to be dubbed "the war on terror"

shakesbeer GOLD, Middletown, Connecticut

i rather die on my feet than live on my knees

and just to let you know the war in Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with terrorism or bin laden or 9/11 if you were actually paying attention it was started because bush lied and said saddam had weapons of mass destruction and he was dangerous. 

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

He kept them out of our country, but the poor soldiers in the middle east probably aren't so thrilled about roadside bombs and being pecked off bit by bit.

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

They accepted it while they were misinformed.  Silly goose

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

They're terrorists.  We won't be able to beat them.  Especially by stretching out our forces.  War only makes our country weaker

Maxwell said...
Maxwell, Rochdale, Massachusetts

"We are not retreating, we are merely advancing in another direction." General George S. Pattton, US Army

Your forgetting a little something called Free Trade. And your soo articulate...

shakesbeer said...
you suffer from a typical delsuion, reading what simply is not there, a sympton commonly found in kids going through the no child left behind program your actually a victimn. movig on some one who, tripples the national debt, and defends us from 9/11 by invading Iraq on a COMPELETLY unrelated charge to save us from weapons that did not exist and never found bin laden disgraced our country aboard with ridculous foreign policly. all bush did in the middle east was bend over for Isareal and all you have is sympothy and sob stories for the guy. way too be a good american, yeah NOT critically critquing your country for better change is the way to progress a nation  

KK2013 GOLD said...
KK2013 GOLD, Solon, Ohio

Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.-J. K. Rowling

Okay, your comments are completely uncalled for and does not even begin to make e respect your position "Shakesbeer". Oh, and the name doesn't help either.

And yes, I am sure that being the President must be extremely difficult, because you are affecting the entire country with your every move. that is a lot of pressure.

And "Shakesbeer" What did you expect him to do after 9/11??? Sit there and watch as terrorists continues to attack major places? what if your father had been in one of those towers? how would you feel about that?

and lets see how good your memory is when you are paying off bush's war debts with your retirement fund.

on Jun. 28 2010 at 2:45 am
Quinntre BRONZE, Montgomery, Texas
He requested it, they accepted it. They didn't have to. The President is a figure head the real power lays in Congress.