The Man in the Spotlight | Teen Ink

The Man in the Spotlight

By Pouyaemehr SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
Pouyaemehr SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference." -Elie Wiesel

The gentle curves of the shadow on the stage genuinely belie the stiff and hard figure of the owner of the shadow: a he who stands firmly under the blinding light. The skin, deliciously tan with a pale depth that is subtly mixed with a palette of creamy pigments, extends on the body perfectly. The surface of the artificial skin glistens seductively like the raw, golden grains of sand polished by the waves of a cooling ocean. The alluring, shiny oil on the skin slides on the hard muscles slowly and patiently adding a new dimension to the reflection of the model on the stage. The show commences. The audience surrounds the model while scrutinizing this masterpiece of humanity. The flawless movements of the body are irresistibly mouthwatering.

The spectacle is never exciting enough without the mesmerizing flexing of the dense muscle fibers of the chest, contracting and raising the two erotic hills located under the thick neck but above the six packs of intensity and strength. The pink, pointy nipples perform their part so confidently as eyes can't help but to gaze at the roundness and stiffness of them. Descending further, the symphony of the six packs won't ever cease to amaze the audience. Oh, the thighs. Those twisted, thick thighs steal the show every time. An appetizing, sharp smell fills the room. The source of this unforgettable aroma must be the shiny drops of sexy sweat that drips and sizzles on the hot surface of rectus femoris. As the eyes roll towards the bottom, the tall, glamorous legs come into the light, making this entertainment even more invigoratingly addictive.

As the audience rotates around the small stage that the model poses on, one fails to see the face. The light is so brightly focused on the rest of the body that the visage seems to be lost and ignored by the spectators. This human-made idol of masculinity, strength, and sex remains unidentified and obscure. He is constructed to be desired and praised. Men envy him and crave to be him. Women yearn to follow him. In the tumult of desire, admiration, and jealousy, suddenly the audience gives in to the temptation. Thousands of infected hands reach aggressively to touch the performer. Their fingers rub the skin with a gradual increase in intensity. In a matter of a second, all the hands start to tear a piece of the body. They scratch the skin and steal a portion of it.  Vicious men and women attack him from the front and back. The men in the audience frantically press the piece that they have seized on their own body, hoping that the piece would grow and replace their short, dull bodies with an immaculately interesting one: a body that would be the perfect definition of a man. Women, on the other hand, choose to keep the part they have obtained to later give to their current or future partners so that the men of their lives would be as perfect.

While they keep repeating the same process in vain, the stolen flesh slowly dries and crumbles, leaving the audience devastated. The show comes to an end in utter disappointment. Everyone leaves feeling defeated yet indifferent. As the room becomes more vacant by each second, I approach the stage. The mythical body does not exist anymore. I look more closely and see a small head. His bony, wrinkled face lies on the ground facing the spotlight. He dies without anyone ever knowing him. The darkness of the stage has stolen all of his colorful thoughts and ideas while the perfect masculine body that the society has made of him used to shine and make everyone forget about him. Layers of painful pressure have been concocted to make an idol out of him. A body that everyone must imitate, not a man that everyone must remember. The artificial God of masculinity perishes as a manipulated minion of objectification. The show is over, yet it never ends. This stage of society always succeeds to enslave another idol who attracts a foolishly desperate audience. The idol about whom everyone is obsessed, yet also the effigy who will die as the man in the spotlight.

As a teenage boy who is entering adulthood in less than a year, I have noticed that I have started comparing myself with other boys and men in the public and on TV. I compare my height, my weight, and my physique with other guys. I try to evaluate myself, and most of the time I fail and feel inadequate. Through this, I was inspired to write this short, fictional article about this trend that genuinely tortures people. This trend has been created through fashion, movies, music, and most importantly social media. All these platforms have tried to sell this true definition of a man to their audience. Almost all of this definition is focused on the physical aspects of masculinity.

Pop culture, with all the influence that it has on the society and especially on the young people, has objectified male body and oversexualized it and exaggerated it to gain more publicity, and over the time these unrealistic portrayals of a perfect man have turned into goals for the public to attain. This has happened for women too. It has occurred even more prevalently and flagrantly, but as a guy, I have a more personal exigency to write a short article denouncing this dangerous trend about male body objectification. I want to show everyone that falling into the trap of pursuing these goals to obtain this exaggeratedly perfect masculine figure is only going to lead to disappointment and sense of inadequacy. Overall, I hope that the readers of this article get encouraged to look at themselves differently and appreciate who they are and how they look. I tried to give a fresh perspective on this topic and avoid the cliché.

Pouyaemehr SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee

@sbabu thank you so much for taking the time to read my essay and share your thoughts about it with me. I promise to always stay sincere about my thoughts, emotions, and struggles within my work.

sbabu said...
sbabu, Brentwood, Tennessee
Thought provoking and wonderful use of symbolism. Haven't come across anything like this in a while. Really enjoyed it, keep up the good work!

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare