Cottage on lake | Teen Ink

Cottage on lake

A pristine light blue choppy watered lake flowed past a lovely rocky shore full of pine trees. A dark brown pinewood cottage sits right on the shore with tiny little windows that had dark green shutters with hearts carved in and flowerboxes painted the same forest green held full of purple trillium. Besides the picturesque cottage was a small vegetable garden by the stone chimney that poked out the side. Miles around there were no other houses and just a long dirt road connected the home to the rest of the world. Just then it was midday and there were no cars outside or flights on the inside, the residents must be absent. In the lake was a small pinewood dock with a fence of the same dusky wood, because the owner was afraid of water. Inside were trout and bass, a whole thriving ecosystem, and some smaller pools with shellfish and freshwater clams. It being high summer there was also a bald eagle perched on the house looking closely at the water until it caught sight of a fat trout and dove. A deer peeked out from behind a spruce tree then bounded off toward grassland. A couple of fox tails poked out from behind another copse occasionally too, but they were tussling playfully and it was hard to see. Some Canadian geese and otters played in the lake(if you've never seen a goose play in water you're missing out, it's adorable) and more geese flew overhead, honking loudly. The animals didn't seem afraid at all of their human neighbors, and the humans for their part were at one with the natural surroundings. 

This is my Mom's dream house, except it doesn't have any cows. She's terrified of water so the fence, weird as I consider it, would be greatly appreciated by her. she also loves trillium, and the general "cuteness" of it. to be fair we do live in a log cabin anyway. how do u feel about it?

WolfGurl GOLD said...
on Jun. 25 at 6:18 pm
WolfGurl GOLD, Classified, Indiana

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

Wow, this is definitely my dream home! Nice writing and description!

on Apr. 22 at 9:12 pm
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)
And the words I say most often: "Where was I?"
"I just switched 50 things to anonymus and it doesnt even make a diff- why was i writing this again? where was i? hm.... oh well."

ah lol. not common vocab, i see.

Lydiaq ELITE said...
on Apr. 22 at 6:23 pm
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

"A word is dead
When it is said
Some say.
I say
It just begins to live
That day."
--Emily Dickenson

I thought you meant corpse when you said "A couple of fox tails poked out from behind another copse..."

on Apr. 22 at 9:32 am
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

i dont see where... ok?

Lydiaq ELITE said...
on Apr. 22 at 9:26 am
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

"A word is dead
When it is said
Some say.
I say
It just begins to live
That day."
--Emily Dickenson

Wish i lived there, except you said there was a corpse? A corpse means human remains. A carcass means animal remains. The first word is far creepier than the second, I don't think that was intended.