First and Last Thoughts | Teen Ink

First and Last Thoughts

By Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other
Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other

"One day, your life will flash before your eyes; make sure it's worth watching."

They say that the first thing you think of in the mornings when you wake up and the last thing that comes to mind before you fall asleep at night are either the things that cause you the most happiness or pain; every morning, my first thought is of your face, and before bed, all I can think about is the sound of your laughter, and the way it makes my heart skip a beat every time you chuckle. Sometimes, it makes me wonder what you're thinking of in those moments, and during the day.
When you're getting dressed for school in the mornings, do you pick a shirt that you'd think I'd like, or a button-up that'd be easy for me to undo? Every time I open my closet to get ready, I think of you, and what you'd like to see me in. At school, do you do well in your classes and laugh at jokes, just so you can tell me about them later? Do you want to tell me about your good times, and say they'd be even better if I was there by your side?
When you see me in the hallways at school and in class, what are you thinking? Do the same chills run up your spine that go up mine? When you look into my eyes, can you see my soul, and my love for you? does your heart beat faster when you glance at my lips?
When I hug you, or touch your arm as we speak, are you thinking of all the different ways you could lead me away to a spot where it'd be just you and me, alone together? Are you visualizing all the things we could do - the naughty, as well as the nice? Like me, are you analyzing escape routes out of the school, trying to find the closest path to one of our houses - or anywhere but there, for that matter, as long as we'd be together, just us? Do you dwell on dreams of my lips on yours, my skin upon your skin, your fingertips on mine? When I rest my head on your shoulder, do you wish as badly as I do that we could wake up alongside each other like that one morning?
Before you go to bed, and you're feeling like you had the best day of your life, not wanting it to end, do you capture an image of my face in your mind, and hope that, one day, you can call me yours? Because every time I close my eyes, you're the last thing I see, and right when I flutter my eyes open to stare into the sun in the mornings when I wake up, I see you, clear as day.