Home Alone | Teen Ink

Home Alone MAG

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

ama1013 BRONZE said...
ama1013 BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
that's soo creepy. i just got the chills haha

Why would you stay home alone without the doors locked and why wouldn't you call the cops when someone you don't know shows up at your house and sits in their car?  

imtjustamerx3a, Aurora, Illinois
I just wanna say this is super creepy! I'm glad you got out of that situation though, I would be freaking out too! You should have called the police though for sure. Don't hesitate next time :) It's the best option to stay safe.

T.R.Trevino BRONZE, San Diego, California

'I cannot, nor will, recant anything, for it is neither safe nor wise to go against conscience.' -Martin Luther

Oh, you should always lock your doors. And called your parents. I know mine wouldn't have been at all comfortable with a guy calling me repeatably while driving up and down my driveway.

And here's a little tip about  looking out your window. They CAN see you, so you have to be really careful how you look out the window. Oh, and you might not want to pick up the phone if you don't know who it is.

Sorry for the rant...really good writing!

Well, she can't actually changed what happened. I'm just glad the guy meant 'bye-bye' as in, he was leaving, not 'bye-bye' as in, she was dead.

redpanda26 SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
I'm home alone right now... This article is freaking me out, but that's a good thing, you did a great job, but WOW, I feel bad for you! Scary...

da writer said...
AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Miss_Bliss GOLD, Waban, Massachusetts

"If we did all the things we were capable of, we would literally astound ourselves."

-Thomas Edison

Oh, I mean I agree with -DreamForever- that it ended too abruptly, not that it was bad subject material.

Miss_Bliss GOLD, Waban, Massachusetts

-Thomas Edison

I actually thought that it was an incredibly good subject for a story (mysterious prank caller, unknown car idling outside your house, your doors are unlocked...). However, I wholeheartedly agree with LastChapter and -DreamForever-. You can milk a story without taking away the truth in it, and I think it would have been a good idea to try and enhance the suspense (with that in mind).

grahamsta97 SILVER, Medford Lakes, New Jersey

"William, I am trying to listen to you, but it's so difficult because of that hair! Every time I look at it, I expect racist Disney characters to leap out of it and start singing about living on the balliou!"
-Jane Lynch, as Sue Sylvester on Glee :D

oh my gosh :O

when you said the person said, "bye-bye", i freaked. no joke. that must have been so scary!

Rozaa SILVER said...
Rozaa SILVER, San Marcos, California

I love it when my fingers are entwined in yours, and the tingly sensation i got when you touched me. It made me feel so safe so loved; so totally bouned to you. forver. And i still am even though you left me.

Thats scary! i like it :)

heaven_sent_666 BRONZE, Youngstown, Ohio

"Being in the dark means you are one step closer to seeing the light"

I also got shivers from reading this!! I HATE being home alone, especially because we have a creepy house. But I'm never usually alone at night. But if that happened to me, I totally would have called  the cops!

writerinfinity PLATINUM, Arlington, Texas
That must have been very scary. I would be really freaked out if I had been in your shoes. :s yikes!

i agree some people can be really stupid they dont know what will really happen so take things serious.

wowwww said...
the story isent supose to be milked the story is something that really happened its not a book to read if you want something terrifieing to happen go get a book from the library

armin said...
i dont think u should say that because if she called cops she could point u out now wow some stupid people

GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

Wow! That must've been horrifiying. Close to the same thing had happened to me. I was hime alone, and these prankster kept calling the house. Whenever I picked up the phone no one would answer. Scary.

AmandaPanda123 SILVER, Brookville, Pennsylvania

Memories are forever.

Oh my gosh that is scary...Just make sure to ALWAYS lock your doors. Everytime I'm home alone, that's the first thing I do before doing anything else. I got shivers from reading this..

Memories are forever.

KimiChan, what did you do to make the guy go away? That's scary.

writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

Wow. Did that actually happen to you?? That's so freaky!! While i was reading this, shivers ran up and down my spine. I'm not even kidding! I'm thinking about getting up and looking out of my own window to check for any weird cars in my driveway!! Great piece of writing, though! Keep up the good work!