Home Alone | Teen Ink

Home Alone MAG

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

HeyAmanda SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California
when i am home alone i lock all the doors and keep the lights on because i wacth America's most wanted and too many scary movies.but that doesnt keep my cell phone safe. someone with a restricted number called me and left a voicemail(my phone automaticaly blocks restriced) saying they watch me ,know where i live, know when i leave for school, and thats not so bad-but they mentioned my brothers all in a creepy voice. i alerted my family and called all friends to make sure it wasnt a prank call and learned that my firned had gotten a similar message i was so scared 

kyute96 said...
this story is sooooooo scary

PastorsKid said...
PastorsKid, Saint Charles, Missouri

One is not necessarily born with courage,but one is born with potential.

This would definitely scare me.I probably would've armed myself with my 500+ page biology book(let's see a burgalur get up after getting hit with that!)and hid in the nearest closet.You did really well staying calm.

Swindlewick SILVER, ..., Washington

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

You don't think getting, like, 10 dead-end calls and then having a stranger's car chilling in your driveway for 30 minutes is a little wierd?

AddisonElizabeth, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

this scared mee:(

mikky said...
wow this had my heat racing. i liked how you ended it with bye-bye ...very scary. keep wrigting

Xblue_raspberryX SILVER, Greensburg, Pennsylvania

I may not be Mrs. America or popular at school, but i do a lot of nice sh** in life. I want some attention too!

holy crap that would scare the heck out of me!!! did you tell your parents what heppened when they got home?

RipponLeaEnergise BRONZE, Clayton, Other

"how wonderful it is that nobody has to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world"

Anne Frank

something like that happened to me. except the stranger was drunk and he forced his way through the door and made a scar on my face. i was 11. it was horrific.

Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
I would have been so scared if that happened to me. Did this really happen? It was probably some random kid pranking you.

squeak BRONZE said...
squeak BRONZE, Redding, California

If you are true to love, love will be true to you. people are not evil just missjuided.

ya i agree with the base ball bat lol XD i clunched to one being home alone for the first time in years. lol

this was a good read :D

krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

Wow. I have to admit I would be very creeped out if this happened- congrats on playing it cool. You probably should have called the police and definitely have had the doors locked, though.

Ilikecows said...
First of all - this was a very well written article. But I am very concerned about your way of dealing with the calls and unfamiliar car. You should always lock the doors when you're home alone. Always. Just in case something like this ever happens (which it did). Also, you really should have called the police. If you felt threatened, and they were there for so long, then it definitely warrented a phone call. If possible, you should have also have gotten the license plate number of the car, as well as writing down a detailed description of the vehicle (for the police). You didn't go out and confront them, which is good, but your way of dealing with situations like this could be much better (and safer!).

HannahBananah BRONZE, St. Paul, Minnesota

Nothing is as mean as giving a child something useful for Christmas:)

That is extremely creepy. Woah.

truelove4ever222 SILVER, Crosby, Texas

Daughters of jerusalem, I charge you by the does and gazelles of the field; Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. -Song of Songs 2:7

That was suspenseful and uber creepy.

mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
oh my god! that is terrifying. i dont know what i would do. i would faint or something if that happend to me.

mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
Whoa, that is scary. I used to be afraid to stay home alone and if that happend to me, I would freak. You are such a good writer. I read this so quickly cuz its so good.

CreativeScript PLATINUM, Port Hardy, Other

SPINE-CHILLING! HEART-STOPPING!

This is good, almost scared me!

(

celloizmylife PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia

Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney

oh, and after rereading some stuff, I realized that you should probably get caller ID.

Anne Frank

wow, that was scary. i got a chill down my spine. sometyhing like that has happened to me, but unlike your experience the stranger came into my house. i didnt know who they were or wat they wanted, but they started screaming at me and i called the police. it ended up being a drunk man on medication. i never want to stay home alone again!

-Walt Disney

woah, how did it repeat itself? I don't get it, but please excuse the redundency after "baseball bat?"