My Mother Warned Me | Teen Ink

My Mother Warned Me

By Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other
Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other

"One day, your life will flash before your eyes; make sure it's worth watching."

He had eyes full of feeling, and his words were drugs that he fed to me daily. Every time we were apart, my heart became the empty case that held the pills, needing to be refilled.

He was the one my mother had always warned me about. She told me one day as I was five years old, sitting on a seesaw with her in a park, that one day, I'd meet a guy who'd tell me I was pretty - he'd whisper sweet nothings into my ear, and he'd bake me cookies. He would email me every day and he'd want to spend time with me and make me feel special - but he would never call me his princess.

My mother warned me about him. She told me that when I turned sixteen, I'd fall for a boy who loved life a little too much. He would adore his mother, brother, family and friends like Dumbledore loved the wizards at Hogwarts and the hobbits loved the Shire. She told me he would go out every weekend, and I would love that he was so free, like the wind. He would hold me, and whisper drunken words into my ears - but he would never ask me out.

She warns me, telling me that when I go to college, I'll meet a boy who's hands will create masterpieces on paper, as well as my spine, his new canvas. He'll tell me my lips are his favourite medium, and that he can't paint a picture without their unique texture. He'll tell me I'm his muse, the one who inspires him - but he will never dedicate a sketch to me.

My mother keeps warning me that in a couple years, I'll meet him - a man who will make all the others worthwhile, all the mistakes into lessons. She says he will love me. She tells me he'll bake for me, and pass the days by my side. She says he will be the type to get high on plain living like they used to in the Outsiders, and he'll read me my favourite books. He will take me out every weekend and introduce me to the family he holds so dear, and he'll make me feel free of my past, ready to roam the world like the wind. He'll hold my heart in his hands, and his fingers will trace designs on my palms, sending electric shocks down my spine, I'll be his inspiration, and he will create abstract collages to hang on our bedroom wall because I make him unable to think straight, and he'll sign the original piece with my name on the back of the canvas.

My mother warned me about him - the one I'll find someday: she says he'll call me his. And so far? Her predictions have been right.

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

You are always welcome. I could sense while I was reading it that these words came straight from the heart and in my humble opinion, any piece written with such honesty always is beautiful. ^_^

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. the piece means a lot to me, and I feel more connected to it than any other piece I've written, so that sort of appreciation honestly means a lot to me

- Maya Angelou

This was remarkably well-written. I loved your structure throughout. And I also really felt the emotion in these lines. Especially the last paragraph. Each word was beautiful.