Hollow | Teen Ink

Hollow

By Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other
Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other

"One day, your life will flash before your eyes; make sure it's worth watching."

I am numb, and hollow like the inside of a log, cut down only to find an empty trunk. He was the axe that cut me down, deeper with every movement, and every strike into my figure. He didn't know he was killing something beautiful: my hollowed inside was a home to a bunch of squirrels, a loving family. An abundance of ladybugs resided between my bark, and I protected them all and sheltered them. He didn't know he was killing something beautiful, but he tore me down, and with me, so fell all the creatures inside. Now I am truly hollow. No footsteps of small woodland animals trek along the inside of my walls, now lying on the damp, forest floor. The ladybugs didn't bother to stay, either, because as I lay on the ground, moss is slowly covering me up, inch by inch, taking over anything good that still exists, and killing everything that once made this hollow trunk feel.
He didn't know he was killing something beautiful - and now, it feels like the same beauty will never exist again.