The Dangerous Wall | Teen Ink

The Dangerous Wall

By zoejodoinlicari, Sherborn, Massachusetts
zoejodoinlicari, Sherborn, Massachusetts

This piece is about the story of my passion and how I bashed into the wall.

I checked the time it read 4:45, and I realized I should start to get ready for practice soon, I wanted to fall back asleep, but I knew I couldn’t. I started looking for an orange shirt for Orange Week at cheer, 

“Mom! Do we have orange shirts!?” I yelled 

“No Hailey, I don’t think we do!” she responded.

I started looking through my sister's drawers, I finally found an orange shirt in Maddie's drawer. I grabbed my Nike Pros and threw them on along with the orange shirt. I rechecked my phone at 5:15 it read, I started to freak out, I needed to leave by 5:00! I grabbed a few hair clips, my cheer bag, and my shoes. I dashed out of my room to get to the car, and my mom started to put in the GPS to the cheer gym. I checked the time on the screen and read 5:18.

I heard Siri say “Your estimated arrival time is 6:00 pm.” 

I feel happier knowing that I will have  15 minutes before practice starts at 6:15. to spare before practice starts. My sister starts screaming at Taylor Swift’s songs.

“LOVER!!!” She screeched in an annoying voice.

I tried to cover my ears but it didn’t work. I wondered when we were going to hit lots of traffic. 

“Mom, what time are we getting to cheer?” Maddie asked, 

“6:05 Maddie, hurry up and get your shoes on we will be there in 5 minutes,” Mom replied. I started to grab all the stuff I had to make sure I had everything, as I exited my Mom’s car.

“Bye Hailey and Maddie! See you guys at 9!” Mom said quickly before speeding off home. 

I approached the cheer gym and slowly opened the door for Maddie to run in. Quickly I heard the loud 8-count man music. I started to walk towards the computer to go sign me and Maddie. I started putting my mom's phone number, and I saw 1 class underneath Maddie's name, I wasn’t sure if I should sign her in for the class, so I chose to wait until she got water to ask her. Then I checked myself in for Royalty and Platinum. I started to walk closer to the door to enter the gym toward the locker room. I start unzipping my bag to get my sneakers. I grabbed them and started to put them on untieing the laces from last practice. I checked my phone, 6:09 pm it read. Practice is going to start in 5 minutes I thought. Everyone on my team started to pile in with lots of loud talking, 

“Royalty come stretch!” Tyler yelled from the Black floor. I started to walk over to the dead mat to start stretching. I start stretching my splits first for a couple of seconds along with cracking my fingers. 

“Get to the first stunt! You have 5 full twisting switch-ups! 2 to prep level lib and 3 to body position!” Tyler yelled from the blue floor. I started my full twisting switch-ups with Annabelle, I started to get annoyed since Annabelle was falling onto me. We finally hit our 2 to lib and started doing it with body positions. The stunt finally started to hit which is always the best feeling. 

“Good job guys!” I said towards my stunt group. Teagan started to walk over to my stunt group since she was my other flyer. 

“Alright go to second we are doing the whole stunt!” Aly said while glaring at us. I stand clean waiting for Teagan to fall into our arms, I keep thinking of grabbing her on her hips instead of her upper leg. She falls perfectly into our arms.  As she does her full twisting switch up to her amazing scale. We hit that without a bobble! I started to stress about the dangle from a pocket in our hands to high to low, but when that part came it was like magic! I am shocked! 

“I’m so proud of you guys!!!!” I squealed to my bases and flyer! 

“DON’T TALK ABOUT IT!” Aly screams, 

“Go get a sip of water, We are going to the black floor to go full out and all tumbling and jumps,” Tyler says in a loud voice. We were close to the locker room so I walked instead of the other girls that ran. I started walking with Lauren and asking questions about high school cheerleading.

“What is high school cheer like? Do you use pom poms, are their chants?” I said to Lauren. 

“High school cheer is very different from All-star cheerleading for sure.” I started bouncing off of the foam blocks that were an impediment. I unlocked my locker and grabbed my refreshing cold water, I took my first sip, it was so cold and refreshing that I felt like I was just drinking an energy drink. I started to approach the black floor, 

“All tumbling and jumps!” Tyler yells, I start to get into position knowing I'm about to eat my pass up.

I hear the beginning of the music, I start to run, Shoot! Too far I thought I shrugged it off thinking I would change my backhandspring to make it undercutted. I felt off as I went to my back handspring feeling like I was in the wrong spot. I set for my layout planning to undercut it so I don’t hit the wall until I start setting and I felt something touch my foot. As It happened I felt myself bash into the wall with my knees and fall to the ground with a loud BOOM. I felt my body smash onto the ground and I felt weak, I felt dead, I couldn’t move. 

“Ughh” I groaned as I slowly got up hopping around my spot in the routine with one foot up. While I was doing the motion to get to my spot for standing tumbling, I wanted to stop, My foot felt like I just stabbed myself. I tried to do the back extension roll-back tuck with one foot, I thought about just doing the whole thing and landing on both feet but in mid-air I chose to land on one, I felt like I made a good choice after that knowing that my foot could have been fractured if I had done it. I finished the pass and hopped instead of rolling to my spot. We finished our marking for our stunt and I hopped to back handspring tucks knowing I would have to land on both feet, I started rolling feeling like crying in pain. By now my ankle was feeling like 100 billion knives were going into my ankle all at one time, Then I knew I hurt it, But I had to do this pass or I would have to do 3 after instead of getting water. I started to set for my pass as I was dreading the amount of pain I needed to prepare for. I started jumping back to my hands thinking about putting more weight on my good foot instead of my bad foot. I started landing the backhandspring and I put the weight on my bad foot. I almost screeched in pain, as I set for the back tuck. I landed the back tuck on both feet and It felt like actual death. I did the little dance right after it crying I hopped to jumps, knowing I needed to do it, I was standing there with my bad leg up and good leg down attempting to do a hurdler toe touch, I started to clap up and jump to do my hurdler, I felt my body land on my good leg which made me happier until the toe touch. It was connected so I needed to do both of them, but as I connected it my foot good foot got sore. I jumped for the last toe touch and I jumped onto both feet, and Mmy foot felt only a little less painful. I hopped off the mat and toward the bathroom. I noticed my foot was bleeding so I cleaned it off with a paper towel. I unlocked the bathroom door and started to hop over to my coaches, which felt like a mile away. 

“Tyler, I need an ice pack right now,” I said holding my ankle. 

“Ok, I'm going to grab you one right now,” Tyler said running off to the fridge. I hoped Maddie wasn’t watching us, I looked horrendous with my red puffy eyes and hurt ankle. 

“Here Hailey, Royalty go get some water! If you tapped out in your pass do 2 if you skipped your pass do 3!” Tyler Yelled to my team. I slowly put the freezing ice pack onto my ankle, It gave me a minor shock at first and I jumped up a little. But eventually got used to it, I watched them go full out and I felt glad I didn’t have to do it. 

“Tyler can I call my mom? My ankle is throbbing and I need to go to the ER.”

“No, I can call the ambulance and they can take you there, They should call your mom,” Aly said in a calming voice. I started to breathe lighter and got up to grab my phone. The  ambulance eventually arrives and I get onto the uncomfortable bed. 

“Ok, we called your mom she will meet you at the Hospital.” The paramedic said.

I nodded not wanting to talk. They started to drive and I felt like I was in a race car truck speeding through all the lights.

I started to feel tired so I fell asleep throbbing in pain. I slowly  woke up feeling so tired with my high pony still up, and I saw a big gray boot on my right foot,

“What happened to my foot? Is it sprained fractured?, how long am I out?, can I still  stunt?, am I going to be out forever?!” I questioned my mom who was driving me home,

“You sprained your ankle and it was nearly a fracture, you are out for 5 weeks, and yes  you can still stunt but it is dangerous,” Mom replied. 

, “Where is Maddie?” I asked

“She is at home,” Mom replied.

“Hailey, I need you to be more careful, If you had done one more thing you would have  fully fractured it, and would be out ALL SEASON.” I started to cry, I didn’t want myself to be hurt, I didn’t want to have an injury anymore.