Until we meet again | Teen Ink

Until we meet again

By lidhuerta SILVER, Lleida, Other
lidhuerta SILVER, Lleida, Other

"Pursue your dreams"

First screenplay ever written!

FADE IN
EXT. LONDON - DAY
We see TWO ADULTS,they are both walking slowly around the streets of the city of London. None of them is saying much, they are rather staring at the ground, speechless but yet comfortable with eachothers’ presence.
One of the adults decides to hold the other’s hand.
YOUNG MAN (thoughtful) I can’t believe you are here, with me, right now.
YOUNG WOMAN (Looks at him in the eyes) I promised you, Matt.
FLASHBACK
EXT. AIRPORT - EVENING
Music begins (Make it up - Joe Purdy), picture fades up -TWO ADOLESCENTS walking to the Airport’s main entrance. MARIA FABREGA, 15, wearing a big navy blue, white and green stipes sweater that is 3 times her size, ripped jeans and a pair of black converse, she is holding a suitcase by her side. That I’m-really-about-to-cry look is all over her face. Meanwhile, the other adolescent, ALLY JANKOWSKI, 15, smart-faced, wearing a light-gray hoodie, which defines her baggy and confy style. She has that i’m-bad-at-saying-goodbye look on her face.
ANGLE ON
MARIA (sighs) They thought leaving me here for a couple of more weeks would make everything better...
ALLY (ironically) And it just made it somewhat worse than before, didn’t it?
MARIA walks closer to ALLY and tears start running down her face, ALLY inmediatly hugs her tightly.
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 2.
MARIA (sobbing) This sucks. Everything is my parents fault. They’ve accepted that stupid job offer in another stupid country, in another stupid continent.
ALLY (crying) You don’t even know how much I’m going to miss you. Please... Please write to me, tell me everything about your new life.
Maria and Ally are still hugging tightly as people walk by.
ALLY
Her chin is over MARIA’s shoulder, she realizes that people are staring. (with humor) People are going to think we’re a couple of lesbians.
MARIA (laughing) A cute couple though.
ALLY (emotional) Dude, honestly, don’t forget me...
MARIA (smiling) I wont, and you better not either,Al...
Now they’re both laughing and at the same time we can tell they’re very emotional. They have a strong friendship bond which is shown on camera. Maria suddenly takes out her phone from her small purse and unlocks it, stares at the time as she holds her phone tightly. The palm of her hand is sweaty, so she cleans the screen with her big sweater and puts it back in her purse.
MARIA (nervously to Ally) I don’t think he’s gonna come. my flight is leaving really soon.
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 3.
ALLY (worried) Let’s just wait a bit more, He loves ya,right? he’ll come.
We can hear the ringing of a phone, it is Maria’s. She opens her purse quickly and answers the phone anxiously. The person who is calling is the one they were waiting for, MATT, 18, handsome, kind and full of life.
CLOSE UP
MARIA (dissapointed) Are you coming? I’m leaving in like 5 minutes
MATT(O.S) (on the phone) Dear, turn around.
Maria turns around slowly while still holding her phone as she hears Matt whisper something. She stops cold as she sees Matt right in front of her, also holding his phone by his ear.
WIDE SHOT
MATT (still on the phone) Did you really think I was going to let you get away like that?
Maria’s face flushes, she can’t believe it, right when she thought he wasn’t coming. He surprised her again. She runs to his arms droping her phone. Matt quickly puts his arms around her and kisses her forehead.
MATT (sobbing) Promise me something, babe.
MARIA
Anything.
MATT I have been giving it a lot of thought... you should come to study at my University. Promise me that once you are done with high school you’ll come. You’ve always wanted to study the same as me, so why not with me?
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 4.
Ally makes signs to Maria, telling her that it is late.
Maria inmediatly gives Matt a passionate movie kiss.
MARIA (Rushing) I have to go now. Please keep in touch. I love you.
MATT(O.S) What about the promise?
Maria smiles to herself, she looks determined to what she is about to say.
MEDIUM CLOSE-UP
MARIA (half thoughtful smile) I promise.
Music starts to play slowly... (if you run - the boxer rebelion)
CUT TO
INT. PLANE - EVENING
THE FOLLOWING WORDS APPEAR (TITLE) AS WE SEE THE MOVING IMAGES OF THE PLANE...
UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN
We see the lights on buildings, and everything that makes us wonder. We see a beautiful bridge and the river below. We move into the night sky and the following words fade in:
3 YEARS LATER
EXT. RIVERSIDE - NIGHT
HIGH ANGLE SHOT
We see Maria, but now she’s 18, spontaneous, likeable, and a dreamer. She is lying down, one hand behind her head as a pillow and the other holding her phone. We can easily tell it is the same girl from the beggining of the story.
Her mind is full of thoughts. She is looking at some pictures, it could be dangerous out there since it is so dark, but she doesn’t seem to care. She is in her bubble.
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 5.
A random noise alarms Maria and she stands up in a jump. Determined to find where the noise is coming from. She hits the turn pad of her phone, it lights up her LCD screen. She uses it as a light when...
IN A FLASH - 2 GIRLS APPEAR OUT OF NOWHERE.
Maria drops her phone afraid.
She hears giggles, still doesn’t know what’s going on.
NATHALY CARRI, 18, young, blonde, playful walks up to Maria.
NATHALY (to MARIA) It’s us, you dumbass. Your friends... Why the hell are you out here? Your mom told us to come get you! We went over your house and you weren’t there...
MARIA (Sighs in relief) Oh my god, you guys. You scared the s*** out of me. I came here because I needed to think, I needed to get some inspiration for my next piece of art... you know...
NATHALY (Frowning) That’s just weird.
MARIA (proudly) I’m weird.
BLONDE GIRL Yes, you are. Now let’s go! Your mom is worried.
the BLONDE GIRL’s name is ALEX, 17, blonde, preppy and easy-going, holds MARIA by the arm, Nathaly holds Maria by her other arm. They walk and slowly dissapear into the darkness.
INT. MARIA’S ROOM - NIGHT
WIDE SHOT
We see Maria’s room, there are lots of pictures hanging on the walls, the room feels kind of empty besides a couple of empty perfume bottles that are used as decoration on top of
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 6.
her night stand. We are able to tell she is a creative person due to the many awards she’s got on painting and photography.
HIGH ANGLE SHOT
The three girls, Maria, Nathaly and Alex are lying on the bed, laughing and talking about their past loves. Nathaly complains about the guy that she likes, his name is Jake. They constantly fight over stupid things.
NATHALY I told him our relationship was over, but I regret it now. (exalted) oh my god,you guys,What if he finds someone else? Someone better than me?
Maria and Alex are facing the cealing, as they listen to Nathaly complain about her love life.
MARIA (calmed) Just don’t stress out. He won’t find anybody else.
NATHALY (hopeful) You really think so?
ALEX Yeah, because nobody except you can stand him.
Nathaly inmediatly hits Alex with a pillow as they all three laugh. We see young beautiful girls, laughing and enjoying.
Suddenly, Nathaly stops the playfulness of the moment and asks for silence...
NATHALY (curious) So, Maria, tell us about your love life. You haven’t said much about it lately.
MARIA Well, maybe the mysterious reason behind that is because I don’t have one. As sad as it sounds. (thoughtful)
(MORE)
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 7.
MARIA (cont’d) I don’t really have eyes for anybody besides one. and he is 3832 miles away from me...
Nathaly and Alex look at eachother confused.
ALEX (changing subjets) Let’s not talk about love right now. Let’s go out, to party and drink and have fun! Right now.
MARIA
Wait-
(overly confused) right now ?
NATHALY (spelling)
O-M-G
(excited) YES!!! let’s go!
MARIA But don’t we have our last final exam on Monday?
CUT TO
INT. NIGHT CLUB - NIGHT
The girls are having fun, we see them dancing to the beat of the music. Forgetting about all their problems. Leaving behind school, studying, men, love, school, studying, men, love, school...
They are dazzling on the dancefloor, they feel alive, enjoying the night as if it were to be the last.
We see many more people too, trying to get rid of their problems. Young adults thinking partying is the solution for everything. Sometimes it might be. Just sometimes.
Nathaly goes to the bathroom.
Alex approaches Maria.
ALEX Why are you so worried about examns? You have a great average.
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 8.
MARIA
Honeslty?
ALEX (Nodding her head yes)
Yup
MARIA All this stress is because I need to get into one specific uni, If I don’t get in then I don’t know what Im gonna do-
Nathaly interrupts their heart to heart, she’s holding a cup of a mixed drink on her hand. She is at her fullest tonight.
Maria sees her and takes the cup away from her.
NATHALY (bothered)
Hey!
MARIA You’ve had enough!

INT. BAR - EVENING
Nathaly, Alex and Maria are sitting together, having a snack, they all cheer to celebrate they’ve finished examns. School is finally over. They’re faces show relief.
MARIA (with excitement) I can’t believe we’re finally here, we’ve graduated from high school! it feels so weird though, like if all this wasn’t real!
ALEX (delightful) and I got into Kutztown University! It feels totally unreal. Have you guys heard from your universities yet?
NATHALY I have. I didn’t get in to the one I wanted but I did get into the other one, so that is a relief. And you, M?
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 9.
MARIA I don’t know yet, Haven’t checked the mail. But I know the letter is in there.
NATHALY Wait- so you still haven’t opened the letters because you are afraid of what it might say? come on Maria, you are not like that.
ALEX Yeah, you are like the strongest person that I know.
MARIA Well I guess I’m not that strong, am I?
NATHALY Come on, M. We are here to support you, whether you get in or not... Let’s go open that letter!
CROSS FADE
INT. MARIA’S APPARTMENT LOBBY - DAY
We see the three girls, they are all waiting for MARIA to open the mailbox. She is extremely nervous, her hands are sweaty, she flips her hair to the back and takes the mailbox key out of her ripped jeans back pocket.
She introduces the key into the key hole and slowly turns it to the right.
There are five letters inside, she grabs them all energetically.
She stares carefully at the adress on each letter.
MARIA (V.O) And there I was, one step nearer my future. Did I really want to know the content inside that letter? I had actually been waiting for it for a long... long time.
Throws all letters on the floor except one. She holds that one tightly, as something precious. As if it was a treasure. She starts opening it, rips off the left side of the letter and quickly searches into to find the mysterious golden ticket... the admissions letter.
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 10.
MARIA (V.O) (CONT’D) My heart was beating out of my chest. As I read the following: Dear Maria Fabrega, Congratulations! You’ve been accepted to HYU...
Nathaly and Alex, who were just standing by her side, take the letter away from her hands and as soon they read the words accepted they hug her tightly.
ALEX Oh my God, Maria! See! We told you you had to open it. You are in!
NATHALY (kidding) Yeah, what the f*** Maria, you never listen to us!
ALEX But like- does this mean you are leaving?
Maria, still reading the letter nods yes silently. Then looks up at both of them, tears in her eyes.
MARIA It doesn’t feel right to leave another country behind, but I know I love him and I don’t want any more time tearing us apart... This is a great opportunity for me in so many ways- but- it is just so difficult.
INT. MARIA’S ROOM - NIGHT
Maria turns on her lap-top, she starts videocalling Ally. Her bestfriend from another continent. ALLY finally answers. Is is obvious that they’ve kept in touch since it feels like time hasn’t passed between them and their friendship.
ALLY (graciously) Hey slut! What was that so important that it couldn’t wait?
MARIA (with excitement) I got into HYU!!!!
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 11.
ALLY (totally surprised)
WHAT?
(frowning) Wait, Maria, is this because of him? Does he know?
MARIA He doesn’t need to know
ALLY It was a childish promise though, he might have forgotten about it.
MARIA (very confused) I don’t get it.
ALLY
what?
MARIA (with indignation)
Why does it seem like you don’t want me to go over there?
ALLY (worried) Well... I didn’t know you guys haven’t talked in 2 years! That’s a long time Maria.
MARIA Doesn’t mean I stopped loving him. In fact, I don’t have to talk to him everyday to know what my feelings are.
ALLY
(afraid)
Yeah, but-
MARIA (serious) But what?
ALLY (doubting if she should say it or not) What if he has moved on?
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 12.
MARIA
Has he? (frowning) Wait, he’s got a new girl?
ALLY That’s what I heard. I didn’t know how to tell you exactly, honestly you looked so enthusiatic about all th-
Maria interrupts Ally as she’s trying to finish her sentence.
MARIA (determined) I don’t care, about him having someone else.
ALLY (totally surprised) WOW. Don’t tell me you will still go there? Are you out of your mind? I mean, don’t take me wrong, I’d be more than glad to have you in my country, trust me, I love you but that is insane, Maria.
MARIA Look Al, I made him a promise, whether it was childish or not. I love him, I still do even after all these years. I need time to think about it but I also have to reply back to the University really soon. Or else they’ll give my spot to someone else.
ALLY (comprehending) I understand. Love is love, but aren’t you worried that you are risking your future for someone that might not even love you back anymore?
MARIA That’s a risk I’ll have to take. I have always liked that university anyway, it is a great one actually.
(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: 13.
ALLY I know that. But-
MARIA But nothing- I’m done with this distance s***, I’ll go there and if things don’t turn out the way I want then it’s my fault. I don’t care.
ALLY (loudly) This is like a freaking movie! It is so cute and crazy at the same time, what has gone into your head?
MARIA I don’t even know. I just know I have to take the risk, but I have the feeling he still does loves me, and that having me so far away from him is what has made him lose touch.
ALLY That doesn’t make any sense. I love you so I talk to you daily.
MARIA Yeah but guys are different. He knows he can’t touch me nor kiss me therefore talking to me is like a temptation... He prefers not to miss me, ya know? because it hurts. It is hard to explain.
ALLY whatever, you know better than I do in this field.
MARIA (laughing) Shut up. Well, love, your crazy best friend is gonna go get some fresh air, so, talk to you tomorrow! Loveya
ALLY Alright, bye boo! Clear your mind! love you too!
Maria shuts off her laptop. Turns off the lights of her room.
14.
EXT. STREET - NIGHT
Maria goes on a walk, wearing her ripped jeans, white shirt and a thin dark green cardigan, she’s wearing her favorite shoes.
As she puts on her headphones (photograph - Ed Sheeran) . She’s walking around the streets, alone, lights flashing from the cars, the bridge, the buildings and everything around just seems dull to her.
She’s insecure and undecided. Will going away so far tear her apart from the people who have been sticking with her through this past years? The story is repeating.
She remembers everything she expirienced when she was with Matt.
SERIES OF SHOTS
MONTAGE
Both of them kissing, laughing, giggling, singing, hugging, playing bowling, even fighting comes to her mind. Just about everything she went through with him is on her mind at the moment and as music plays her mood becomes sadder than before.
EXT. STREET - NIGHT
Maria has finally decided to sit on a bench and get her thoughts together.
She takes out her phone and decides to message MATT.
CLOSE UP ON CELLPHONE
TEXT MESSAGE TO MATT HOLZ
She writes the following:
Maria: I’ve been accepted. I told you I was going to come.I promised you and I’m doing it.
Maria waits impatiently as her phone produces a funny sound which indicates MATT has replied. She’s nervous.
Matt: Please, COME.
Maria smiles as she stares at what he has just answered.
15.
INT. AIRPORT - DAY
Maria is wearing a black leather jacket, dark blue jeans and a pink blouse, her hair is wavy and her make-up is light and clear. She looks stunning. She looks mature, time changes people. (at home - crystal fighters)
Her two bestfriends and her mom are standing next to her, Nathaly and Alex hug her tightly
MARIA (To her friends) I’m going to miss you guys so much, visit whenever you want, okay? I’ll come for christmas break.
Then she walks up to her mom, her mom has tears running down her cheeks, she is broken. Her little girl is going away. Very far away.
They both hug for a long while, MARIA kisses her goodbye.
MARIA I love you, Mom.
MARIA (V.O) As I contemplated what I was leaving behind, I asked myself this question: Is my life always going to consist on goodbyes? on leaving behind people I love? But then I realized I wasn’t leaving them behind, it was just going to be temporary, as it was with Matt, and Ally. Life did go on, it wasn’t the end of the world, It just felt like it for a while. So at that moment I knew everything was going to be okay, I knew things had finally fallen into the right place.
And as she walks away, before she blends in with the crowd, she turns around and glances what she is leaving behind. A country, a family and amazing friends.
DISSOLVE TO
16.
INT. OUTSIDE AN AIRPORT - DAY
We see Maria outside the London airport’s main entrance, she has her big suitcase by her side. She looks like she is looking for someone.
A man’s voice is heard from far.
She turns around and ,leaving her suitcase behind, starts running towards that man. She jumps into him and kisses him right there, without caring about anything or anyone.
That guy is Matt.
MATT (Hugging her as tight as posible) I can’t even tell you how long I’ve been waiting for this to happen.
MARIA (filled with emotion) I still love you, Matt.
MATT (with a sincere look in his eyes) I never stopped loving you, Maria. We just fit perfectly.
MARIA (with eager) I can’t assimilate that I’m here with you, right now.
They start walking together.
Matt holds Maria’s hand. She half smiles to the ground.
MATT (thoughtful) I can’t believe you are here, with me- right now.
MARIA (kisses him and stops) I promised you, Matt.
17.
FADE OUT