The Napkin Story | Teen Ink

The Napkin Story

By 22henriquez, Paris, Tennessee
22henriquez, Paris, Tennessee

It was Saturday night and I decided to go out to dinner with my best friend from college, Erica. We went to this new restaurant downtown, Molls I believe was the name of it, that had just opened a few days ago.  The server comes up and takes our order and leaves.

“We haven’t seen each other in ages! You’ve been so busy lately. I heard this girl got fired at your work.”

“Yeah, i’ve just been really busy you’re right, and yeah this girl Destiny got fired.”, To tell you the truth I was busy. I’ve been really busy. Not with my regular job though, with my spy work. Yeah i'm a secret spy that works for the FBI. Nobody knows this though. Not my family, my boyfriend, not Erica.

The food came, the server served us and left, dropping a napkin on the the floor. I picked it up giving it to him but he had already left. Whenever i picked it up a piece of paper fell out of it. I picked up the paper and read it, it was barely readable. ‘Get out while you can’.

“What’s that?”, Erica asked while chewing her steak.

“I don’t know i just found it on the floor”, I said, handing her the napkin with the paper inside.

“Get out while you can?. What’s that supposed to mean?”, she asked with a blank expression.

Then right  when i was just about to talk, we heard a huge bang from the kitchen.Then another and another. There were about five bangs, but then I realized those weren’t any bangs, they were gunshots.

“Erica get under the table!”, I yelled

“What? Why? What’s going on?”

“Just get under the table!”

So we were just sitting there, under the table, hearing all the screams and shouts going on in the restaurant. I immediately got out my phone and called the police but there was no service. ‘Of course!’ I had no clue what to do, I wasn’t even an actual spy. I was just in training. Then suddenly it got really quiet. So quiet that you could hear our hearts beating.

“Come out, come out wherever you are”, we hear this incredibly deep creepy voice saying.

I literally stopped breathing right then. We heard nothing for a couple of seconds until a head pops right under our table! Of course what every human would do as self defense was kick him in the face with my heel. So I did just that. He wasn’t expecting that, we decided to make a run for it, but whenever we crawled out from under the table,  we saw like twenty guards swarming the restaurant. All the doors were closed and every window was sealed very tightly. We just kind of stood there doing nothing, trying to figure out what was going on. There were guns everywhere, like ten feet of rope and loads of duct tape.

“Are you Annick Gardner?”, He said with the deepest voice i’ve ever heard.

“Yes”, I said,  my voice trembling like crazy. I had no clue what was going on.

“Umm who are you?”, Erica said trying to keep her cool while being sassy.

“We are the FCI.”, another guy, standing in the back, replied.

They all looked the same, dressed in black. They were really puffed up and super scary looking. He started walking really slowly toward us, studying us up and down over and over. At this point I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Erica  was just standing there not doing anything pretending she wasn’t scared. The first thing that popped into my mind was to make another run for it, but that was impossible with everything blocked. We’re going to die. We’re going to die I kept thinking over and over.

“What does that stand for?” Erica said,finally breaking the silence.

“ Federal Configuration of Investigation”, he said

FCI?! I had never heard of such thing. I didn’t want to die, so i didn’t say anything. There was another awkward silence.

“Just be quiet. Don’t say anything, no questions”, I whispered to Erica.

“No whispering!”, he hollered so loud that my eardrums popped.

After that it was all pretty much a blur. He said something to the other guy that I couldn’t quite understand. Then all of a sudden I feel a tap behind me so I turn around. When I looked who it was, I saw a huge man holding a black bag. Then he placed it over my head squishing me as hard as he could. I felt like I was suffocating,i began to grow tired. I woke up confused and with a migraine. I looked for Erica, but all that was around me was a small room with a tiny window on the ceiling. The room was covered with pillows. ‘Trying to make it soundproof’ I thought in my head. I tried to move my hands and legs, but they were tied up with duct tape. I ripped the duct tape off my hands, then my legs and walked around. When I look up I saw a red light beeping. I looked closer and realized it was a camera. I jumped up and decided to kick the camera and it fell loudly to the floor. I picked it up and heard a voice.

“I see you got out of your duct tape and managed to break the camera.” a man said. “Well your friend is still tied up. If you want her to get out alive your going to have to tell me why”, the scary man said.

“Why what?”, i responded getting annoyed with this whole situation.

“Why did you have to kill her?!”, he said suddenly screaming.

I had no clue what he was talking about. Killing someone?! I would never do that!

“I’m sorry but i have no clue what you’re talking about. Killing someone? Never!”

“You killed Mary! Mary Jean!”, he said almost crying.

Then it came to me; Mary! Yes i remember her. I was a nurse a long time ago, at Piedmont Fayette Hospital, in Fayette County, Georgia. I worked there for 5 years; until i was fired. You’re probably wondering why I got fired. On my last year working there Ii had this really sick patient named Mary Jean. She was a really nice person. But one day I went out for my lunch break when I should've stayed with her. Then when I returned, she was dead, Someone had stabbed her in the chest.

“I’m really sorry for your loss, but I have no clue who Mary Jean is.”, I said planing everything out in my head. He didn’t answer back so I decided that this was enough.  I looked around, nothing in sight so I went for the door. The door was locked, of course, and with a huge lock on it. Luckily I had a pin in my hair from last night. The pin I had was very small and the lock was pretty big. I stuck the pin up there and wiggled it until opened. ‘Yes!’ I thought in my head, ‘ I shouldn’t be training and become an actual spy.’

As I opened the door with a huge screech,  I looked around and all I saw was a long dark scary hallway, like the ones you see in the movies where things come out and eat you. I was still wondering that if I had stayed in the room that day maybe Mary wouldn’t have died and she could still be alive and I wouldn’t  be in this big mess and now I brought Erica into it and, I shook my head trying to make those thoughts leave. As I was walking down the hallway I hear some cries coming from a small light down the hallway. As i walked slowly towards it i realized it was Erica.

“Oh Erica! I found you i’m so sorry i got you into this mess this is all my fault you could be home right now and not be in the middle of… I don’t even know..” As I said that i felt hot tears running down my cheek.

“What are you talking about this is not your fault. It’s those big sary men that took us for no reason.”, She said.

“No you don’t understand!”, I was practically sobbing now.

“You can explain all of this later, but right now what we need to do is get out of here before they find us and hurt us.”, she said as she hugged me. I felt really bad because I knew that after I told her she would never talk to me again, she’ll look at me as a murderer.

“You’re right.”, I said wiping my face and feeling more confident. “Ok you’re going to have to be really quiet the whole time, not even a whisper, whispering will be detected. I have this device on me that tells me how loud we are and if we cross this line, we die. Understand?” She looked at me really confused.

“Umm… So, you’re saying that if I talk I die?”, She said as she looked scared to death.

“Pretty much.”, I said trying not to sound brutal.

“Ok, then let's get this done!”, she yelled.

“Shhhhhhhh!!”, I replied to her.

We started walking really slowly down the hallway with no light except the noise detector thing that I was carrying  in my hand. From the outside I looked brave and and ferocious, but in the inside I actually felt like I was going to puke all my insides out. As we kept walking we finally see a tiny light, so we make a run for it,  again bad idea. Because whenever we got to the light we hit a huge pole right smack in our faces, but it wasn’t a pole it was a gate, locked, to get outside.

“Great, now we’re trapped here and we’re going to die!”, Erica suddenly yelled scaring me to death, making me hit her in the face with the noise detector. “Ow!”, she yelled, again.

“Shhhhhhh! I’m sorry, you’re not dying, you’ll be fine.”Then she gave me this dirty look and Ii kept on studying the gate thinking if I could open it somehow. But it was locked with a key and it was only one of a kind key, the Goldsmiths Lock, that was one of the rarest key locks in the world. It was impossible to get your hands on one, if you did you either stole it or were mega rich. Anyway I looked around the hallway and there was a tiny drawer right next to the gate. I opened the drawer and as soon as I opened it I heard doors open. Open all around us.Then walked out five big scary men looking . I was just like ‘oh great here we go, just remember your training and you’ll be fine’ i kept repeating to myself.

“Ok, Erica you stay right here and let me handle this on my own. You make sure they don’t…” Then I felt a huge punch on my back. That’s when I got really mad and started the actual fight. I kicked and punched all of them one by one. Until they were all knocked out. Then we quickly got the keys and opened the door and we ran out of there as fast as you could imagine. As we were running out of the building into the streets we stopped out of breath and had a small break.

“Wait, so you’re a spy?”, Erica asked.

“Yes.”, I replied.

“Since when?!”, she responded kind of surprised.

“I’m sorry i didn’t tell you earlier.”, I said trying not to freak out, because I had just told someone that is was a spy., Which you can’t do if you’re in the FBI.  

“It doesn’t matter. What matters is that we made it out alive! Those moves you did in there were crazy!”, she said. I didn’t really know if she was being sarcastic or not.

Then this voice just came out of saying, “Or is it?”