My grand jete | Teen Ink

My grand jete

By Juanitavargas, Bogota, Other
Juanitavargas, Bogota, Other

I am a dancer, and that is why I wanted my story to be related to dance. In my philosophy class I was seeing the meaning of life, and I was inspired to create this story, since for me the main meaning of this story is "the sense as art." I found this connection because in my art class I was working with sculptures, and I realized that life is like a sculpture that you build throughout your life. But in Camila's case, they created that sculpture for her since she was little, she did not have the opportunity to mold her sculpture. But when she finds the dance, it is like the water in the clay, the water returns a sculpture in clay, again in mud, and you can start from scratch. It seemed to me that it brings a very important message. And is that your parents should not be the ones to create your sculpture, they should only give you molds so that you create it alone. And you should also always have that water to help you change, to try new things.

”Camila !! Why do I hear noise? You won't be distracting yourself with those ridiculous dance programs while you study, right?.”

Camila closes her computer super fast

”No mom, I think it is outside.”

Camila said to herself , “I have to stop watching those videos and focus”

”I hope so! Because you won't win the math tournament if you don't study every day!”

”Yes ma'am.” 

Camila was a very studious girl, very intelligent, and very diligent. She was always the star student of the class, but for the same reason, she had no friends.Since she was very little her mother has demanded a lot from her academically. She has always said Camila has to be the best, and Camila always has been.

RING RING!!

”It's the recess bell, go to eat and see you in 30 minutes.”

”Hi, I'm Rose, a new student. I'm a bit lost. Could you tell me where the dance room is.”

”Mm are you talking to me?”

”Yes yes, what is your name?”

”Camila, and,yes sure I'll take you there, but I have to go back quickly to continue studying.”

”It's time to rest, no.?You should eat something, no?”

”Yes, but I don't need it. I have a math tournament and I have to be prepared, because if I don't win, I won't go to Harvard and if I don't go to Harvard I won't study and if I don't study, I don't have a profession, and if I don't have a profession, I don't have a job, and if I don't have a job, I don't have food, water, or a HOUSE .. And I die .. And my mom dies! Do you want my mom to die !!”

”No no! Calm down, sorry.”

”We arrived. This is the dance studio. Do you dance?”

”Yes! It is what I like the most in life, because when I dance, I feel that I am transported. It is like my place”

”I would like to learn, but ... no no  forget it”

Camila when she got home every day, she started to watch some videos of dance competitions, and sometimes she tried to take up the steps, but later she realized that it was a lot of emotion, and that she had to stop to continue studying ... but what she did not realize that when she danced, her soul drew flames, her gaze lit up.

A week later..

”I'm very nervous! What if I don't win ... if I don't win, you will never see me again!”

“Calm down, it's only a contest, and you are also very good”

Camila was very good, but she was competing with the best from all over her country, so the odds that she would win one were 1%.

”The winner of this contest is ..

Archie andrews”

”NO NO! It can't be.”

Camila, very sad, starts to cry on Rose's shoulder, but she sees  her mother with her disappointed face, and she calms down, because her mother cannot see her crying that way or she will think that she is weak.

”You're punished! Surely it was because you became friends with that bad influence girl who only wastes her life dancing.”

Days later, Rose had taken Camila to one of her dance classes, and Camila was at first very sad, because she continued to think that her life was a misery, and that she would no longer be able to do anything in life, that she was going to being a homeless person, but Rose later convinced her to relax a bit.

”Rose I don't know why I came, I don't even know how to dance”

”I know that you know, just let yourself go”

After a long hour of dancing, they decided to take a break because they were exhausted.

”Let's go to the tables outside”

”Let me go for my phone and I'm coming”

But when Camila was going for her cell phone, a beautiful song began to play, then she decided to listen to it, and her body began to move to the rhythm of the music, she felt what Rose was telling her, that feeling that she was flying, that she felt free, and her soul told him how to move,with just the sound of the music,she felt that inner peace that she had never felt before.

All the girls from dance class came to the classroom and were surprised by Camila

”Cami! God you dance very well! And that feeling you had, WOW I loved it! You should dedicate yourself to this”

”What? No no, it was just a mistake, My thing is studies, academics, I'm going to dedicate myself to that. In fact i'm already late,thanks for the class”

Rose quickly grabs her arm, turns her around and says

”That is what you want?, do you think that is the meaning of your life? Mathematics? Or is it your mother's? “

Camila ran away. She couldn't stop crying, because she also wanted to know what she wanted, what she really liked.

Days passed and she kept thinking about what Rose had told her, but there came a day when she decided to go to the ballroom again, to figure out what it was that she was feeling.

Camila was dancing, and feeling what she had felt the first time, everything was pe ..

”Camila Alexandra Rae !!  What do you do!  It can't be, what a disappointment, I didn't raise you like that! What the hell are you doing! Why aren't you studying?”

Camila's heart was paralyzed when she heard her mother's voice, she was completely blocked from being scared that she was.

”e, a, mm”

”What? Did you run out of language? .. we're going home right now, I'll change your school.”

”NO!”

The face of Camila's mother when she heard her scream, it was as if she had seen the same demon

”How are you talking to me?”

”Mom, I no longer want to be the perfect girl that you want me to be, I'm tired ... you don't realize that because of that ... I've never done what I like.”

”But if you like math, what are you talking about?”

”No mom.  That's what you like me to do, but haven't you realized that you've never asked me what I really like?  You have raised me in YOUR “perfect” utopia, and you never realized that I was not happy”

”Bu  but Cami, I always thought that ..”

”No mom.  I did it to see you happy, and to be able to make you proud of something, but what I like is dance, I love it, that's my passion.”

”That stupid thing? O my God please no.”

”Yes mom, I know you think it doesn't make sense, but it actually has a meaning to me.

”Welcome to the fifth dance recital of the golden gates school.”

”Excuse me, permission, get off lady !! He doesn't see that I'm going to see my daughter! "

The curtain opens, sound the music, Cami has her dance solo

“WOOOO !!! very good Cami! You were the best !! WOOO !!

The mother gives her  some roses and gives him a hug, which Cami is surprised because she had never done it

”My love, you were the best of all, you were like a star there moving!”

”Mom..what are we talking about”

”Well good sorry, I don't get used to that not everything is a competition”

”Haha mom. Ok let's go”

”Cami wait “..

”What's wrong mom?”

"Sorry for forcing you daughter, but I only wanted the best for you. But if this is what makes you happy then so be it. And I want you to know that from now on I will support you in everything you want"

THE END..