Work Migrants Take in The United States | Teen Ink

Work Migrants Take in The United States

Work Migrants Take in The United States

In the United States, almost all of the homes rely on food which comes from farms, although many of these products come from The United States it is likely that it was picked by a migrant. Six out of Ten Farm workers are Undocumented Migrants. When Migrants go to the United States they arrive with nothing except what they have on, and maybe a few carry-on items such as backpacks bags. When they go to the United States they are seeking the American dream, which is if you work hard enough you will get what you want. Migrants are a crucial part of the United States because they are the reason why the United States can keep up with food demand, the United States has been historically formed around migrants, and how Point of view of the United States on migration has changed.

To add on, In the United States, migrants take unwanted jobs that are available mostly in farm fields.  the reason behind this is that these jobs don’t require papers. These migrants want to succeed in life but for this they have to work a lot. Six out of ten farm workers in the state of California are undocumented migrants California exports one third of all of the countries food. This means that without migrants hard work the United States would not be able to supply their constant demand for food. These migrants work many hours a day below the scorching sun, and around many chemicals such as pesticide. According to the Pesticide Action Network (PAN), the pesticides migrants have to be around all day are one of the main causes of cancer in The United States.

Historically, the US has been a country built on migration. But the perception of migrants in the US has changed a lot before the government gave the opportunity of 5 million migrants to enter the United States, But now people see migrants as animals and not people. The main reason behind this is that the standard of life in the United States has gone up a great deal, people view them as worthless because of the jobs they have. But Migrants have helped the United States a lot through their history, it is a country which migration has been a key part in their success according to historian Charles A. Wills who wrote an article for PBS, between 1880 and 1924 a total of 4 million Italians migrated into the United States seeking the American dream now Italian Americans are the fifth largest ethnic group in The United States. When they arrived they took whatever jobs they could find to help their families move forward and have a better life.

Currently, the US view on migration has changed drastically.  Nowadays the Government has drastically changed its perception of migrants. Many families of migrants have been separated and have even put in cages just like animals, degrading. Current US President Donald J. Trump tweeted: “We have turned away, at great expense, two major Caravans, but a big one has now formed and is coming. At least 8000 people! If we had a powerful Wall, they wouldn’t even try to make the long and dangerous journey. Build the Wall and Crime will Fall!”. The president of the United States thinks that migrants only bring crime to the United States. Since the President is the ruler of the country many people have changed their point of view on migration. To add on according to Los Angeles times a field owner Called Arnulfo Solorio has had a shortage of migrant field workers because president Donald Trump has said he will deport more people. This will eventually affect the US economy because the shortage of cheap labor the prices of foods will go up drastically.

For all of these reasons, you can see that migrants form a very important part of the US economy, by being one of the groups of people in the agricultural part of the United States. Migrants have helped the United States historically because the United States was formed by migrants. And how the United States government has drastically changed their view on migration. So I propose that people try to appreciate the jobs that immigrants do for you or others.