What should be the new-normal for students? | Teen Ink

What should be the new-normal for students?

December 2, 2022
By vkworkofficial SILVER, New Delhi, Delhi, Other
vkworkofficial SILVER, New Delhi, Delhi, Other
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Being an adolescent, we do not fit into a category; we are either not too young or not old enough due to which our feelings and emotions are constantly invalidated by society. Our problems are not recognized, and our mental health is bound to be virtuous no matter what happens. The truth is clearly in front of everyone's eyes, yet most people choose to ignore it. Every person, regardless of age, experiences difficulty in life. Instead of being stigmatized, these trials and difficulties ought to be accepted and discussed. Ignoring these issues can only result in trauma and emotional dysregulation.

 

Life is an enigma. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history, we are bound to fail as a community if we don’t support each other.

 

1.     Mental Health and Therapy

 

The decision to seek therapy for a mental health problem is frequently kept secret and frequently avoided totally owing to stigma, whereas people freely seek treatment for a broken limb or diabetes. Many people disapprove of seeking professional help or therapy. It is viewed as embarrassing and taboo. Teenagers are frequently advised that they are overreacting to something that "is not real," and their emotions are discounted by claiming that "it's all in their heads." As a result, people—particularly students—adapt to unhealthy coping mechanisms including self-harm, social isolation, and ultimately death. According to studies, untreated mental trauma and a lot of stress can also lead to eating disorders.

 

● Mental Health Issues in India

 

It is inevitable that having to meet such extremely high standards will have an adverse effect on a person's general well-being in a nation like India where the pressure on young people to succeed and be the best among their peers is constantly on the rise. In India, uttering the words "mental disease" would already bring harsh criticism.

 

● Solution

 

Knowing these negative repercussions, we need to come up with a remedy. Eliminating the stigma associated with therapy and mental health concerns is the only practical approach. We do not know how to handle these problems, and those who do are viewed as morally wrong simply for deviating from the norm. The only option is to discuss mental health and normalise therapy.

 

1.     Gender Sensitization

 

"The awareness-informed propensity to behave in a manner which is sensitive to gender justice and gender equality issues" is the definition of gender sensitization. In order to become more gender sensitive, one must change their behaviour and cultivate empathy for both other genders and themselves. Despite the widespread belief that gender equality has been achieved in the modern world, gender stereotypes and inequities still exist.

 

● Why is there a need to normalize it?

 

Since our birth, gender stereotypes have been prevalent. Women are expected to carry out tasks that men shouldn't do, and vice versa. One's potential is stifled by this oppression and restriction. People start to feel rejected and isolated from the community as a result. On the other hand, gender sensitivity promotes respect for the individual, regardless of their sex. It enables us to reflect on our attitudes and convictions and challenge the "realities" we previously took for granted. Our perceptions are altered through education and are challenged to think. In order to help youth feel included, appreciated, and respected as a community, gender sensitization education is urgently needed.

 

1. LGBTQ+ inclusive teaching in schools

 

Teaching that is LGBTQ+ inclusive makes sure that LGBTQ+ youth and students from LGBTQ households recognise themselves in what they are taught. Additionally, it inspires all young people to develop inclusive and accepting views as they mature. Students benefit from feeling secure and at home in their surroundings. It is past time for LGBTQ+ inclusive education to become the standard.

 

What is our role in this?

 

Until society accepts it and we go forward as a community, we need to talk about it. We must approach education holistically and work to integrate knowledge of therapy, healthy coping mechanisms, and emotional intelligence into our curricula. We also need to instil gender sensitivity in addition to mental health. In general, we need to create a community for teenagers where each one feels valued and secure. Particularly among the less fortunate, where these problems are not even acknowledged. All teenagers need to have access to and availability of holistic knowledge.


The author's comments:

[Published by Generation Yellow (Tia, Shivali, Bhavyaa, Vedant, Megha), written by Tia]