Choosing a Major | Teen Ink

Choosing a Major

April 10, 2014
By MichaelaRose SILVER, Dover, Delaware
MichaelaRose SILVER, Dover, Delaware
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Listen to your heart, as well as your head. Live life to the fullest, and regret nothing."


One experience that demonstrates my ongoing commitment to inquiry, reflection, and the discovery of knowledge is the process of choosing a major. My mother is a general dentist and as any mother would love to see her office stay in the family. Throughout school I strived for high marks and attaining as much knowledge in the math and scientific field as possible. I took biology, chemistry, advanced placement chemistry and a physical science course in the scientific realm. Since eighth grade I have been taking honors or advanced placement math classes including algebra one and two, geometry, pre-calculus and advanced placement statistics. While taking a variety of math and science classes I also had the desire to take some special courses related to English and writing. During high school I took honors and advanced placement English courses, creative writing and I also took an English class at a local college. After writing some required essays and gaining broad support from those who read my work I began to realize how much I really loved writing.
As a result of taking a variety of classes and reflecting on the inspiration I am able to draw from various topics I have chosen my major. English inspires me, and the idea of analyzing and reporting excites me. I am glad to say that I will be attending Temple University in the fall with journalism as my declared major.