Historical Censorship | Teen Ink

Historical Censorship

By martinezisabel BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa
martinezisabel BRONZE, Sioux City, Iowa

Don't be stupid, just be smart.

History is to be learned from, not hidden. Historical censorship is the most common way it has been hidden. Historical censorship is when a topic, event, or other is changed or completely removed, typically in textbooks or book bans. Young adult novelists have begun adding “substantial doses of literary realism” in the past century, thus exposing young readers to controversial topics (Simmons) and invoking a recent upwards of book bans. Despite the belief in which historical censorship protects people from violent history, historical censorship is not beneficial to anyone because it is not directly protecting anyone, erases history, and covers up the pains of thousands.

Historical censorship is not beneficial to anyone due to the lack of protection it provides. When students are exposed to history through literature, it allows for a better understanding of what life was like. While the majority of books taught in schools have many historical prejudices, they have become important learning opportunities. “Their value lies in sparking conversations about difficult topics, which is more enlightening than restricting access to them” (Lusted). When these topics become censored, it only allows for books to be taken down, no matter the subject. “It is also of interest how these books relate to the frequently censored topics” (Simmons). To take away the opportunities to teach of such a topic in an educational environment and understanding is questionable.  

Furthermore, censorship works as a block for learning and development. It is important to keep in mind experiences and events when censoring history. “Educated people generally agree that a significant benefit of literature is that it provides insights into human experience. For that reason, among others, they feel that literary works should be introduced and studied in our schools” (Simmons). Topics in literature are often censored without it ever having been read. The book Whale Talk was banned in many schools in 2003 because of the use of vulgar language making it inappropriate to young readers; however, the book, had it been read, exposes a rather touching approach to be learned from. Growing up in the era many kids are currently facing, they have to face an issue not discussed by the common people: internalized racism. The book explains a real-life experience the author, Chris Crutcher, had with an African American child facing internalized racism. Crutcher commented on the ban saying, “They describe the story, more often than not without reading it, as obscene or vulgar or evilーor all three” (Bauder). Some even go as far as to censor not only topics but historical events as well.

While the intent of censorship may be to protect children and the ignorant from violent events, neglecting history harms those whose ancestors were affected by past prejudices. Textbooks and people alike often do this to the Native Americans who lived in North America before European immigrants. The government once had a hand in such as well: hiding people, events, and actions of the United States. “The U.S. government attempted to keep these citizens in places that were not seen by others so that they would not be noticed or remembered” (“Native American Treatment”). Covering up the events of a nation’s tainted past does nothing but “dain a country of its culture and its literary voices” (Lusted).

To further explain, historical censorship erases history. By covering up past prejudices they are essentially erased. While having a less than kind past is unpleasant, trying to cover it up is not the proper way to handle it. The Warner Bros. Entertainment is an example of handling it well. When the company realized many of its older cartoons contained racist and inappropriate themes and messages, they included this message in many of their cartoon collections:

“The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in the U.S society. These depictions were wrong then and they are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming that these prejudices never existed” (“Ethics Quiz: The Looney Tunes Cartoon Disclaimer”).

The company is able to separate itself from the prejudices once attached to it without changing or erasing parts of their productions. The company is old (production began in the 1920s) and evolved from an era where such themes were allowed and accepted; nevertheless, the Warner Bros. separated from the identity it once had. It is important to note “that a rapidly-emerging focus of complaints and challenges concern the negative racial treatment of characters, settings, and themes” (Simmons). Despite this, however, covering up doesn’t help.

Pretending the past didn’t happen solves nothing because it is ignoring the issue at hand. The fact of the matter is because parents and editors don’t know how to deal with topics, they would rather ignore and completely remove them. Textbooks are major violators when it comes to the treatment of Native Americans in the eighteenth century. In fact, the government treated the Native Americans similarly to censored topics. “The government saw the Native Americans as a problem but did not know how to deal with them, even after trying several approaches” (Simmons). It is unjust to ignore history, just as it is unjust to ban books for their historical accuracy. “If we act like the themes of banned books do not exist then we are denying the truth that the world was never perfect and never will be” (Lusted). Even so, changing and banning textbooks doesn’t stop the truth.

What is not shown in the literature is shown in the stories of those who witnessed. Whether it is through family and friends or the internet, the stories of people are passed down and shared.  People affected by the past continue to tell their stories, no matter who tries to silence them. “With its ability to convey information almost instantaneously, the internet and other constantly-evolving forms of technological communication are fast becoming the new battlegrounds for controlling what can and cannot be accessed” (Lusted). Erasing history is not something to be ignored or allowed and historical censorship does this exactly.

Furthermore, historical censorship covers up the pains of thousands. Many times textbooks only look at one preferred side of history and discuss the good while ignoring the bad. A prime example of this is, aforementioned, the treatment of Native Americans. “They [writers] leave out the questionable policies of assimilation and boarding schools, reservations, and the general American dislike of Native Americans because they do not show the United States at its finest hour” (“Native American Treatment”). Textbook authors often exchange the Indian Removal Act and Trail of Tears for “President Andrew Jackson asked the Native Americans to leave and arranged a new settlement for them to live on” (Lusted), completely covering up the genocide of thousands. While many argue it is done simply to protect children, they rather tell the story of a different history. “It is not only the material within the books, but the objections raised that speak volumes about our times” (Lusted).

The pride of the people can be toxic when it comes to the history of the nation. Many will tell stories of wars and battles of their nation which are blatantly false. While it does no harm for a simple man or woman to spew off random untrue facts, when these things are integrated into textbooks and educational systems through censorship, whether it is to protect or cover up, lies become what history is built upon. People and leaders can try to keep the truth of their nations’ pasts covered up, but the truth cannot be hidden. “We live in a time of fear, of course: fear of terrorism, fear of failure, fear that the malodorous whiff of desperation or abuse will saturate the political air. It drives our leaders’ obsession with secrecy and our citizenry’s acceptance of it” (Bauder). This is obviously wrong as “While most Americans can provide several facts about the Trail of Tears and Native American Reservations in Oklahoma, U.S. policies concerning Native Americans in the Mid- and the North-West United States are not covered by textbooks” (“Native American Treatment”).

No matter what, Native American tribes affected will never forget what history forgets. The people speak and, despite the fears of those who cover it up, the truth cannot be hidden. Whether it is a banned book or changed textbook it still undermines the pains of Native Americans and all others affected. “The books that are banned reflect the fears of adults, and not the fears of children themselves” (Lusted). Furthermore, the continued allowance of such is preposterous and must be changed.

Because it is not beneficial to anyone, erases history, and covers up the pains of thousands, historical censorship is a harmful tactic, despite the belief in which historical censorship protects people from violent history. Now, the issue has been brought up, what is there to do? “We Americans spend a lot of time and energy identifying and analyzing the domestic problems and issues of our day: the trials and tribulations of the moment, one might say” (Simmons). Censorship must be stopped as the logic behind it and the results are lacking. The lack of benefits is shown through misunderstandings, blocking of learning and development, and the harms censorship does on those affected. Moreover, the erasing of history covers up what cannot be and will never be changed: the past. Historical censorship tries to cover up the pains of thousands by taking a toxic approach of covering up the bad to discuss the good as if people will forget. History is not to be hidden but learned from.

Works Cited

Bauder, Julia. Censorship. Detroit, MI, Thomson/Gale, 2007.

“Ethics Quiz: The Looney Tunes Cartoon Disclaimer.” Ethics Alarms. 15 August 2015.

January 2019.

Lusted, Marcia. Banned Book. New York, NY, Greenhaven Publishing, 2018.

“Native American Treatment.” Native American Treatment. 24 January 2019.

Simmons, John. “School Censorship: No Respite in Sight.”  SIRS® Issues Researcher. 1996. 24 January 2019.