Gun Violence Vs Mental Illness | Teen Ink

Gun Violence Vs Mental Illness

By Jadenrose_01 BRONZE, Alamo, California
Jadenrose_01 BRONZE, Alamo, California

The lack of good gun legislation has had a great effect on the United States. With the governments law become more loose on citizens being able to own a firearm the numbers of mass shootings have only gone up. The government has been flat lazy when it comes to the safety of their country just because of the Second Amendment. While the Second Amendment is important people now need to look at the fact that it does not apply to every situation. With having  looser gun laws it makes the mentally unstable people more likely to get ahold of one when in fact they are not a good candidate to own one

Many people believe that social media and news castings are trying to make mentally ill people the excuse for the rise of gun violence however, they are one of the main causes them and the government. Many families who have mentally ill people living in their home are usually loving an more aware of what could happen. Some families not so much. They might not have enough money to afford the care that they need or the kid just got unlucky and didn't end up having a great home life. Either way the aftermath will affect the child more than many people realize. As investigators research gun legislation and the connection that school shootings have on mentally ill patients, it shows how the numbers of mass shootings have increased from years past, due to people having easy access to firearms, suicide is often found as an escape for the mentally unstable, and because they cannot handle the feeling or resentment which lead to acts of violence

As numbers have shown the rise of  there is also a strong correlation to mental patients. Many people see Gun violence as an issue and that is a no brainer but what they don't know is that mass shootings mixed with mentally ill people are even worse. More mass shootings are carried  out by the mentally insane then they are by sane people. Shooting with multiple casualties have been going on for decades, the one with the most attention was Columbine which was carried out by two kinds in a High school on April 20,1999.In the Article”Mixing Guns and Mental Health” by, Michael Luo many real life horror stories were documented. All of them include and mental health patients getting ahold of a gun and either committing suicide or hurting someone else with a firearm.By borrowing money from his friend with the excuse of having a date and needed money he was able to get his hands on $300, enough for a new shotgun and a few bullets.The story of Mr.Poo David is one of many that won't have a happy ending. Mr.Poodavod had sed the gun he bought to kill himself in a small hotel room. The court would have been able to avoid the accident. See before he was released to the public after his stay in the hospital he stood trial. The court knew he was mentally ill and decided to send him back to his home where he manipulates his friend for money to buy a shotgun.Mr. Pooda Vod is not the only one who lost his life due to the Court ignoring many signs of mental health. Another man,Mr.French, decided to play with the law and hide things from the judge that could have saved his life and others.When Mr.French walked into the courtroom with his attorney they knew exactly what they were doing. French did not care what it took for him to receive his gun rights back. In the case of Mr. French he had a long history of anger issues. He had stayed in a mental facility where he has relapsed more then once.The information  was kept from the judge in order for the case to rule in French’s flavor and he was able to walk out of the courtroom with newly appointed gun rights. With his attorney doing what his client wanted he put his life and everyone around Mr.French’s life in danger.Both of these stories show how the justice system is relaxed with mentally ill people owning guns.

Since the year 2000 the mass casualty shooting shave continued to rise.In the article, “F.B.I. Confirms a Sharp Rose in Mass Shootings Since 2000”,Michael S.Schmidt  from the New York Times,raises the discussion on the increase numbers of mass shootings’’.486 people have been killed in the past 13 years but in the last 7 years 366 out of the 486 people have been killed.In just seven years there were 366 people killed, on average that is 50 people killed in a year. From 2007 to 2013 there was an average of 16.4 mass shootings every year. But from 2000 to 2006 there was an average of 6.4 shootings’’(Schmidt).From 2000 to 2013 there was a rise of 10% in the amount of mass shootings that occur every year. By having access to these statics It really makes America think about why we really need these deadly firearms in the United States.Not only is there a rise in mass shootings, there is more and more evidence that paint a clear picture as to the why they are increasing. As the numbers rise so does the correlation between the mentally ill and their access to firearms.

With the mentally ill being unstable shootings can happen at the blink of an eye.In the article,”A Look Inside the”Broken” mind of James Holmes” written by Ann O'Neill, Ana Cabrera and Sara Weisfeldt in June 2015 from CNN News, shows the evidence of the Mentally ill playing a major part in Mass Shootings.” Mass Shootings throughout the United States Are played out by the mentally ill. June 2012 in a Colorado movie theater James Holmes walked into ‘The Dark Knight Rises” midnight premiere and opened fired.”(O’Neil) Holmes killed twelve people and injured seventy more.James was considered to be mentally ill but not insane. He was diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder.When Holmes plead not guilty he was trying to convince the jury that he was insane however he was not but he was mentally ill. James was also diagnosed with schizophrenia.During the trial James Holmes was forced to spend time with a therapist. With the appointed therapist Holmes was found to be mentally ill. While claiming to be clinically insane it was found that he had many other mental issues but none of which would drive him to insanity.With the right care he could overcome these illness but he was not given the care he truly deserved, thus causing his illness to taking over his life from a young age. After one of the major mass shootings that have been committed during the past few years Sandy Hook is one of many that shows the signs of mental health. Not only are mass shootings caused by mental health all suicides are because of mental health but they can all be prevented.

Suicide rates in California have skyrocketed over the years. The  Author, Leon Neyfakh argues that, “suicide rates in California have been continually rising because of how loose the California gun laws are.72% of the teenagers in Pittsburgh who had committed suicide lived in a household with guns around.Every teen who has committed suicide has had signs or been diagnosed with a mental health disorder. It was easier for them to end their own life because they has easy access to firearms in their home.”(Neyfakh) If California gun laws were more  strict then the rate of suicide would drop.Since the gun laws are more laid back in California it makes it easier for mentally unstable people to get access to a firearm. In the state of California in 1991, about 240,000 people bought a gun and used it to kill themselves,these numbers show there were 4 times more than the general population. Why is California the one with easy access to forearms? The gun laws makes it easy. Mentally ill people have it easy to commit suicide because they are brought into their house.Mentally Ill people have easier access to gun then they should have. If California had stricter gun laws then the suicide rates would go down same as mass shootings. Stricter gun laws will keep children safer.

The cause of mass shootings are not because of the mentally ill but because of the system that is to help them. Mental patients are not given the help they need to receive in order to be helped.In the Article”The Mental Health System Can’t Stop Mass Shooters”,by Amy Barnhorst she argues the fact that the reason so many “mentally ill people have committed mass shootings is because they are not receiving the proper help they need”(Barnhorst).Many people and professionals believe that most of the people who have a mental illness are not diagnosed or brought into a facility for treatment. Many of the therapists who have seen mentally ill patients have seen that mass shooters who they have been able to sit down with in court believed that if they received help years before say they would be ok if they were treated properly.In California in order for many people to get the treatment they need something needs to happen.Mentally ill patients who aliev in California are not able to stay in a facility for the help they California people who are kept in a mental facility for weeks at a time are there because they are a threat to themselves and others.n order for a patient to be kept they need to have done something that is seen as a major threat to society. So in order for someone to receive the help they need another person needs to be hurt. Although Amy Barnhorst argues that the real reason for the increase in mental health patients and their correlation to the rise in mass shootings is really about how mental health laws and the mental health system is not made easy for patients to get the help they need. Grant Duwe and Michael RacQuet argue that mentally ill people are the cause of mass shootings “by providing numbers that go along with the fact that high risk mental health patients who have received the help they needed are continually making the numbers rise

The  topic of gun violence  for me personally is interesting. Looking into a topic that is moving and makes you think that is also a dominant part in today's society is important. I remember when I heard about the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting. I was young maybe 10 or so. We are at the beach visiting my birth mom my mom looked at her phone and instantly began to cry. I waS so confused as to what had happened, when she finally calmed down and was able to explained what happened i was more then confused. Why would someone perform acts like school shootings  to children around my age or for anyone on that matter? I wanted to do something for each of the families who had lost someone that fateful day. I knew it was not much but my little brother and I found a plastic cup, built a little sand tower for each of the beautiful faces that were lost that day, and went hunt for shells to put on the top. Around it we made a little heart and wrote Rest In peace.It was one that truly made me terrified to go to school. My brother and I didnt feel safe when we were not at home. I made excuses like feeling ill so i didn't have to go. Many people believe that Lanza, one day just snapped, when in reality he had snapped long before he walked into that school.By treating him wrong as a kid, having mental disabilities and nothing the proper form of carre. im surprised he hadn’t snapped sooner. The school as well as his mom were triggers in his brain,where he could not control his anger. He was bullied and considered different in public school because he was different. In doing more research in the Sandy Hook shooting ni just want people to know how import your life can change, these parents had plan with their children after school. Fun activities, more laughs to share, more hugs to give but, they don’t have that chance anymore. In a blink of an eye their lives had changed forever. Adam Lanza is not and will not be the last mentally ill person to snap. Looking back at many of these cases maybe they could have been stopped or at the least prolonged by the right person and just by someone having a kind hearted. You can always see the outside of a person but you cannot see what they are thinking or how they feel. Just a kind smile or a hello can do more than you might think, no it won't heal someone who has a mental issue but that small act of kindness will always be in the back of their mind.

As researchers have found in many studies the lack of strict gun laws has lead to mentally ill patients getting hands on guns and causing mass shootings. The government needs to pay more attention to where the United States is headed if the gun laws do not change. Mentally ill patients and their correlation to mass shootings have caused the numbers to rise not only in school shootings but even, suicides. Yes suicides are not mass casualty related, but they are still important to think about because if people who want to kill themselves can have access to a gun means that mentally ill people who want to kill others can get ahold of the gun as well.

This topic is very impirtant to me i hope it is to you!