Finding Aptitude | Teen Ink

Finding Aptitude

November 26, 2009
By KiNABABE SILVER, Lakewood, New Jersey
KiNABABE SILVER, Lakewood, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"WHATS MEANT T0 BE WiLL ALWAYS FiND iTS WAY"


In life, it seems like we conquer or overcome obstacles that later on define us in life. My struggles and disadvantages have shaped me to be an upright, stronger individual. Growing up as a kid, I came across a struggle I knew I was going to have to be patient to overcome; my life as I knew it would not be the same. When my teen years approached I had an insight into myself. I realized that if I continued to let this problem hold me back, my destiny, my dream could never become a reality. My turning point started and my state of mind shifted. The writer in me needed to be the speaker of silent words for the people that did not have a voice.



At the age of thirteen, I fell ill to a mystery doctors couldn’t even solve. This illness took a toll on my life for three years and I missed a lot of schooling. Doctors, specialist, and surgeons tried their best to help me as much as possible, but in the end this was something I just had to be patient at getting through and used to. In my junior year of high school, I had a turning point. I was not going to let anything hold me back anymore. During that time, I discovered my aptitude to write. Going through all that I had gone through in my past gave me the aspiration to write. Back then I held back on a lot of my thoughts and never expressed them. I felt a lot, witnessed a lot, and bottled up a lot to the point where writing become my escape from it all. Writing what mattered most to me helped me overcome what sickened me.



During my junior year I had a lot to catch up on. So I became focused and determined to complete a full year of high school for the first time. Now, in my senior year, I’m completing high school in two years instead of four due to health problems that interfered with my schooling during my freshman and sophomore years. At the close of my junior year, I had straight A’s and became an honor roll student. I had to look past what once discouraged me from being the best I could be. Seeing what I had already accomplished made me realize that having disadvantages doesn’t mean it is impossible to achieve success.



By becoming a writer, I’ve also become a reader. In my days of performing community service at the library, I would read to those that were less fortunate and unable to do it for themselves. From pre-school children to the elderly I enjoyed my time reading to all ages. I would sit and begin to speak and the listeners would come. Just seeing the expressions of awe on their faces as the words became a vision in their minds was very enchanting to watch. My contribution might have not been as extravagant as feeding the homeless or clothing the need, but seeing the expressions that were plastered across their faces while and after I was reading made me feel enlightened. Giving back is one of the greatest gifts you can give in life. Having the willpower to do things for others who aren’t enabled to do the things themselves has inspired me to write in a way people could learn and grow from.

My writings are meant to send a message to readers; to inform them about aspects of different lives and experiences. To present to them that people like me are willing to listen and willing to give them the compassion and understanding. To help them realize that in this day and age in society you are not alone, even when you think you can't be seen, heard, or recognized. At the college I plan on attending, I plan to fulfill my duty by speaking for those who were left unspoken for. As a college student , I will bring respect and integrity that will rub off on other students that they can build upon. I see myself as being moral support for others while helping them find the greater being within themselves.