Who Am I? | Teen Ink

Who Am I?

April 26, 2010
By LaurenT-S BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
LaurenT-S BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't Bail the best of the gold is at the bottom of the barrel of Crap!"


A college could compare me to a pearl. I started off as a small feeble foster child. I was just a speck of sand surrounded by other flecks of sand (foster children) and rocks (foster parents). But I was a special fleck of sand, for I would not let other specks of sand or the cruel rocks of that world burry me alive. After five years I found my oyster in a place called Meadow Lands. Two years after I arrived at this placement I was spit out of my lovely oyster and anyone who comes strolling down my path of life can tell that I am a pearl! I am a pearl because: I am strong like the shell, I give the gift of love just as this gem is given as a gift to represent love, and I am hard working just as this gem is hard at work showing off its beauty.

I started off as a weak nine year old, but a series of trials strengthened me. First, my own mother watched her boyfriend progressively molest me. Then, she and he planed to kidnap me. To make matters worse my dad died! Twenty three days later I was put into foster care. For many kids my age these three events would have caused them to go into a deep depression and maybe even commit suicide! Although I went into a slight depression stage and I thought about suicide, I didn’t give up because I saw more than my troubles. I saw my eleven year old sister who needed me by her side, I saw my three year old half-brother needing me to keep in touch so he could understand what was happening, and I saw myself developing strengths from my weaknesses. Not only did my family keep me going, but so did my hardships because I believed things could only get better. Because I believed these hardships strengthened me and my faith in the Lord and things did greatly improve. I am strong because of the cruel world of foster care, but also because I will not give up.

As I went through foster care my hope kept being deceived and I thought I would never find a real home. After five years of foster care I went to that oyster- Meadow Lands- and corrected most of my bad behavior. Two years later I- a lonely “good for nothing” girl- found a home in an adoption family. It turned out after I recovered from my problems I learned how to love. Today I love all those who are in my life and not only love my adopted mom, but cherish her as well. Although I still strongly and passionately dislike my biological mom’s boyfriend, I have found that even he has found a very tiny place in my heart, as well as those who doubted me. I guess that the reason they all have a place is because I love who I am and they helped shape me. Although I was shown the deepest form of hate through sexual abuse, I learned how to love and I am now a very loving person.

To top all of my life qualities off, I am hard working. At first school was hard and I didn’t enjoy it, but soon my attitude changed. In my opinion, I am one in a million foster kids, and a gifted one at that. I say this because not only have I overcome the trials of foster care I have also overcome the obstacles of being a student. I am taking all forms of honors classes including dual credit, am making A’s and B’s in all classes, and I also hold a job! If my foster care background did not prove that I was hard working in itself, I am pretty sure that did!

As colleges can see I am different than most high school students. I have overcome the negative opinions of others and because of my dedication to all the people I know I have changed the world! Because I have talked many of my fellow peers out of committing suicide I believe I can make a difference at your campus. I CAN and will change the perspective of those whom I have never met, so please give me a chance!


The author's comments:
I wanted to write an extrodinary college letter, but I couldn't think of anything special that I have done. But then it dawned on me: I am special and that is all I needed to decide to write this essay!