My Learned Lesson | Teen Ink

My Learned Lesson

There I was, passing cars like they were standing still on I-94. Cars in the fast lane had to move over to let me by. I had my Valentine One radar detector and thought I would never get caught with such a dependable device, which told me how many types of radar it was sensing, what direction they were coming from, and what kind of radar or laser was detected. Suddenly, the Valentine One went crazy. I slammed the brakes and slowed to the speed limit. My friend and I figured the radar had originated on the other side of the freeway, so I resumed speeding. While passing another group of cars, I noticed a car was keeping up with me. I assumed he was either mad or he was a police officer. I casually moved over one lane, and he followed my every move. Looking in the mirror, I saw red and blue lights. I was dead meat and feeling sick.

“Do you know how fast you were going?” the officer asked. “Eighty?” I lied. “I originally clocked you at 91, but as I followed, I saw you reach 107. Were you trying to lose me?” the officer said. “No sir. That was not my intention.” At this point, I was helpless. I was done driving for a while. I had my driver’s license only two weeks and already got a six-point ticket for $280.50.

When I told my parents, they were not as upset as I thought they would be. All I heard was, “We’re so disappointed in you.” They said I had to pay the ticket and enroll in a traffic safety school to get three points back.

In the next four weeks, I woke up Saturday mornings to go to traffic safety school. I typically worked from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. to pay for the ticket. My court appearance was embarrassing when the judge reprimanded me longer than the drunk drivers. My face turned red while I was humiliated in front of the judge and the drunks.

If one breaks the law, he has to live with the consequences. As a sixteen year old, I thought bad things only happened to others, but nothing would happen to me. This incident proved me wrong. It is easy to get caught breaking the law. I am responsible and will never repeat my mistake. People make errors, but they are worthwhile if one learns from them. I am a better driver and smart enough not to put myself in situations where I could get into trouble. If I do something wrong, I will admit to it. I am not going to be the person denying something I did.