Sitting on the Bench? | Teen Ink

Sitting on the Bench?

October 9, 2007
By Anonymous

Do you know what it feels like to sit on the bench? Watch everyone make the spectacular catch or the perfect hit? Unfortunately I was in that position.

My sophomore year of high school was great, I was the captain of my J.V. football team, I had a great bunch of great friends and I was on the J.V. baseball team. I was thrilled to be playing another year of baseball for my great school, Arrowhead. Their was a problem, I had two other kids at my positions and they were great players. My coach gave me a chance to start at that position the second game into the season and o man did I screw up. I had errors left and right and couldn’t hit the ball if my life depended on it. After that game I thought I would never play an inning for the rest of my J.V. career.

Couple of weeks went by and I didn’t play, but I hung in there and went to all the practices and games routing on my teammates. Then came the first game I came back. I didn’t start the game but coach had me hit for a person on the team. We didn’t have just any normal team; we broke the record for a J.V. team for best record with 23 wins and 2 losses. As I stepped in the batter box I take a big swing and missed and the count now is zero balls and one strike. I took a deep breath, got all of the nerves out and on the next pitch hit a line drive into left field, bringing home a run. By me bringing that runner in, that ended up being the game winning RBI.

I will never forget that year. I enjoyed every game I played and didn’t play. I am the most blessed person to be on that baseball team with the greatest guys and friends a teammate could have.