Wrestling | Teen Ink

Wrestling

I am often asked the question, “What is it like to wrestle and why do wrestlers cut weight?” I usually can never fully answer the question. Most likely because I do not know why wrestlers cut weight. As a wrestler you think losing weight and wrestling in a smaller weight class will give you an advantage, but I’ve never seen the advantage. In fact, I answer that question by saying, “Imagine playing your sport, but with half the energy and strength and going all out for three, two minute periods.” Now, some wrestlers do not cut weight at all, or just a couple of pounds, but the majority of us know the feeling of cutting weight. The feeling that gives you mood swings like a woman with PMS. The feeling that you have no strength and energy left inside of you. Your cheeks suck in like you are making a fish face and your lips begin to chap. Seems pointless right? But to a wrestler it is what defines the sport.

I was once told that after you have wrestled, anything in life is easy. This is because in Wrestling you need just as much mental strength as physical talent. The metal aspect of the sport strengthens your determination and will to continue even when you feel that you have nothing left. It is the times you check your weight and with two hours until weigh-ins you have half a pound to lose. Although you feel that you can’t move without getting tired. You don’t say anything or blame anyone, but put on your sweatshirt and sweatpants and start running. Wrestling is also a sport that has an endless practice. Your workout may be over on the mats, but you don’t go home to a home cooked meal or out to Burger King. Instead you count calories, take into consideration how many ounces your food weighs. Every wrester knows that there is 16 ounces in a pound. A wrestler practices their eating habit and trains to be discipline to stick to a diet.

Despite that we may act like America’s Next Top Model when it comes to food, we grow an appreciation for it. I mean, what sport can you think of where the athletes dream about food the night before a competition? Or sit together and discusses exactly what they are going to eat after weigh-ins and throughout the rest of the day? Don’t worry, the food comes back to haunt us, that first practice of the week and the fight starts all over. Ever ask a wrestler his weight and he answers back with a number to the tenth place? Let’s just say, we know our weight. Sometimes I find myself in a conversation with a girl talking about weight. The sad part is I believe am more concerned then any girl I know when I’m in season.

When all the weight possible is lost and your body is now dehydrated the tournament finally begins. You run to your bag after weigh-ins and eat and drink exactly what you have been dreaming about. You feel reenergized and stronger, but really it’s just the anxiety for the upcoming match. Unlike most sports, Wrestling is an individual battle. You have no teammate to help you out or blame. You learn to fight for yourself. Wrestling did this for me. I still read the amount of calories and ounces my food or drink contains, but I know anything I attempt to accomplish will not compare to my experience as a Wrester.

WRESTLING said...
Wrestlers cut weight bc there coach tells em 2. thy dnt do it 4 fun!!! They do it so there team has a better advantage in duel meets. Ppl make a huge deal over this whn its not that bad. If you are not joining wrestling bc u thk u hav 2 cut weight definally join bc its not crucial for the sport.

Dee03 BRONZE said...
Dee03 BRONZE, Dayton, Tennessee
I'm a wrestling manager at my high school, and I think this is so true! Many guys on the team are just like this. I also agree with your statement about wrestling being an individual battle. Some people have asked me why I like wrestling so much, and I always tell them it's because it's got to be one of the hardest, if not THE hardest sport I've ever seen! You're wrestling a person your exact size. I really love watching this sport. I wish you the best with your wrestling!! :)