The Advantages and Disadvantages of Surfing the Internet | Teen Ink

The Advantages and Disadvantages of Surfing the Internet

July 14, 2010
By Duffster SILVER, Jounieh, Other
Duffster SILVER, Jounieh, Other
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I am who I am and people can think what they think"- Hilary Duff


The media is revolutionary. In less than a century, it conquered our Planet successfully, never reaching a peak, always improving for the better, making the rise of its “empire” a scandal.
The internet is a medium that has changed our lives ever since it was invented.
Just like its predecessors, it wasn’t warmly welcomed by everyone despite its ever-growing base but this little 40-year-old media “reinvention” will never stop shocking us so what are really the advantages and disadvantages of surfing the Internet?


To browse the internet, all you need is a computer, an affordable machine that is now in almost every single house, and some money to subscribe monthly for the connection’s service; also affordable.
It would be really unfair and simply wrong to describe what the internet offers but the words “everything” and “anything” might be enough as the net’s content is more than diverse so if you need to know anything about something, just “google” it! "Google" is a verb now; it means “search it on Google”, a domain motor that offers you help when you’re looking for something on the web. Internet is perfect for research; when a student is asked to prepare an assignment, a project, etc., it’s very helpful but parents need to be aware of that and not everything written on a website can be 100% true. Also, the internet can be fun thanks to websites such as YouTube, Flickr, etc., you can tune in to watch any videos or view any photo! Plus, social media is what made a star out of the net because it helps people connect wherever they are! However, social media like Facebook and Twitter kill the person’s privacy and a lot of people can have access on what they are doing but then again, wasn’t it their decision in the first place, to get on Facebook or start Twitter-ing? Therefore, parents need to limit their children’s surfing time and censure some rated R websites because Internet can become an addiction and offer inappropriate stuff.


Already 40 but still a teenager, the internet, rebellious, shocking, not so typical and ever-changing, offers you everything you need even if inappropriate at times so it’s your choice to have access to it or not.