A Written Silhouette | Teen Ink

A Written Silhouette

By Alexis Jones BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Alexis Jones BRONZE, Houston, Texas

She has never been called captivating or fascinating. She does not always feel beautiful. Her brown eyes are sheltered by long lashes. Her brown hair slowly inches its way down her long back. She wears make-up daily to enhance the features she cannot see. She wears clothes that cover her flaws. She has an average frame that can withstand cruel remarks.

She can take criticism but is not fully confident. She sometimes even cries for no reason at all. She laughs as things that aren’t funny. She likes to have fun and do crazy things. She likes to try new restaurants and attempt to use chopsticks. She loves to go to church and quietly pray on her knees. She loves to sing when she is alone and loves to dance when no one is watching.

Her dream is to become a geriatric nurse and help the generation that made hers. She wants to take a random vacation and discover new land. She has no desire to become the first lady or to change things she can’t. She wants to save a life. She wants to be looked up to. She wants to swim with the whales and talk to the lonely kid at the lunch table. She wants to learn a new language and hug a stranger.

After all the obstacles in her life, she can confidently tackle a new chapter in her story. After attending a funeral she can appreciate life. After being in a room full of strangers, she can step outside her comfort zone. After getting a job she can cherish the cost of possessions. After writing essays and doing lots of homework in high school, she can now take on college. Her name is Alexis Elizabeth.

Sonza SILVER said...
Sonza SILVER, Bhubaneswar, Other

An apple a day, if well aimed, keeps the doctor away. - P. G. Wodehouse

really nice, alexis!!  

TayTay96 GOLD said...
TayTay96 GOLD, Lancaster, New York

"Sometimes wrong is worth the funny"
-Billy Gardell

I love how you wrote in third person about yourself. I just had to write an essay like this for my English class last week and yours is better than mine :P I'm better at writing in first person

_ella_herondale BRONZE, San Diego, California

"...If the Thames that ran beside them...recalled a night where the moon shone as brightly as a shilling on the same boy and girl... and thought to themselves, 'at last, the wheel comes full circle,' they kept their silence."

Awesome story! I especially love the title you chose(:

i_am_so_very_large_and_towering SILVER, Mililani, Hawaii

"Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

you did such a great job with this piece:) loved it!!!

billgamesh11 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts

"It's always darkest before the dawn." ~Florence and the Machine

Wow! This is really good! Plus, this sounds a lot like me :)

DarkIsThyThought BRONZE, Shishpipkabibble, Pennsylvania

I think I know enough of hate- to say that for destruction ice- is also great- and would suffice.

I know nothing about what college essays are about or what they are for. However, this is a really good one. The third person makes it read like a spontaneous story, and I like you're attitude. It is not depressed, but strong.

Fia-fia BRONZE said...
Fia-fia BRONZE, Bethesda, Maryland

THis is really really good and creative!!! Thank you soooooo much! I really like how you look and analzye the character! Esp in teh third person! THank you and keep up the good work!!!

:)

BrianaK BRONZE said...
BrianaK BRONZE, Waterford, Wisconsin

" Keep Believing"

I really liked the third person. It was good and on a scale 1-10, I would give you a 10. Fantastic Job!

Elizabeth said...
No, Her name is Elizabeth, this story is like written about me haha. I like it!

irishlass317 said...
irishlass317, Jefferson City, Missouri

"I asked Jesus 'How much do you love me?' He answered 'This much.' And He streched out His arms and died."

Oh my goodness this is amazing!!!!! :D Great job!! I can totally relate!!!!!!!

Sophia_Cornwall BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"If I cannot change the outcome...let me change the world."

This is fabulous!  I love the way it reads smoothly yet seems to delve so deeply into personality.  Very unique, and a treat to read!

firecleansed said...
firecleansed, West Jordan, Utah
The third person use is great. The warm usage of words makes it read like a story not an essay

eliana924 GOLD said...
eliana924 GOLD, New York, New York
I love the idea of using third person. Very unusual, especially because college essays are personal.

cdmswimmer9 GOLD, Costa Mesa, California

"Faith is taking the first step when you can't see the whole staircase." -MLK Jr.

I loveee how you wrote it so differently than the average essay. Really cool idea!

berryxd said...
i liked this alot and i wonder it its ok if i take your idea and lay out my essay as you did

anonymous said...
A very captivating essay.