A Hole in Oneself | Teen Ink

A Hole in Oneself MAG

By Anonymous

     I have surmounted every obstacle life has thrown me, ranging from school to sports, but the biggest problems are those you don’t anticipate. A few years ago, I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, an inflammatory bowel disease. It means that some glands are oversized and don’t allow nutrients to get to me. It took many tests before a colonoscopy proved that I had this problem. I’m not one to complain, and I looked at this as a learning experience and knew everyone would be by my side. Crohn’s is a disease that never goes away, but I can keep it at bay by taking medicine every day.

Everything was fine until one morning. My dad and I had woken up early to play golf with friends and I felt fine. As a matter of fact, on the second hole, I made my first ever hole-in-one. It was a triumphant golf game. A few hours later, however, I started getting stomach pains, was vomiting and just wanted to sleep. The next morning I went to the hospital and was immediately admitted.

At first, my doctor thought I had appendicitis but a CAT scan showed that I had an abscess in my intestine, most likely linked to the Crohn’s. To solve this problem, two tubes were inserted in my stomach that helped drain it. I was unable to eat or drink for a week; IVs infused me with sugar water. I had to stay in the hospital for two weeks.

Being in the hospital that October, I saw the seasons change, how the hospital works, and which of my friends came to visit. I met people who make life a lot easier for sick children. It was an experience that made me a lot tougher, as well as realize that I’m a lot luckier than I think. I once had three IVs in my arm, but I saw children who were much more ill.

Crohn’s disease has made me a better person; I have learned so much and sometimes feel like I know more about it than my doctor. Crohn’s disease will never go away, but with the help of medicine and friends, it will be kept in check.