Get a (New) Grip | Teen Ink

Get a (New) Grip MAG

By Anonymous

     Changing one’s golf grip and stance after years of repetition and familiarity is one of the most challenging and nerve wracking (not to mention frustrating) aspects of a golfer’s career. Not too long ago I had to do just that.

The summer before sophomore year I started getting serious about golf and was looking forward to improving my game, so I decided to have lessons with the club pro, Mark. After a couple of warm-up shots at the driving range, Mark asked what I did not like about my swing. I hadn’t really thought about this before, and finally said, "I kind of like my swing." To be honest, I didn’t think there was anything wrong with it, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. Half an hour into my lesson, my lower back was beginning to ache and my hands were sore and tired. I was too shy to tell Mark how I was feeling, so I tried to tough it out and deal with the pain. When I got home, I told my mom about my lesson, got some ice to soothe the pain and headed to bed. After a couple of lessons with Mark, I could see my game improving and all my pain had vanished.

Looking back now, I know that the decision to take golf lessons was one of the best I ever made. Aside from improving my game, I learned a more important lesson: though the change was hard at first, it resulted in a positive outcome because I persevered. I think my college experience will be similar. The transition from high school to college and from teenager to adult may be difficult, stressful and even overwhelming at first but I believe I will walk away a more mature and knowledgeable woman.