I Don't Want to be a Cat Anymore | Teen Ink

I Don't Want to be a Cat Anymore

By InsaneRoman GOLD, Savona, New York
InsaneRoman GOLD, Savona, New York

"He's no longer living."
"What happened?"
"He died."

The struggle to find what one wants to do with their life begins at an early age. A five year old may plan on becoming a firefighter or an astronaut. As one ages, so do one’s dreams. They become clearer and more directed, and most teenagers become concerned with their immediate and long-term futures during their last years of high school.

When I was five, I wanted to be a cat. Quite obviously, that wasn’t going to happen for me. In the eighth grade, I was sucked into the world of art. Soon, it became more than a hobby – it became a passion. At the age of sixteen, I sold my first pieces of artwork. Now I regularly take commissions. I have done custom pieces for people in various places, like the Netherlands, Australia and Holland. Several people have had my custom tattoo designs permanently inked into their skin.

Much to my pleasure, the experiences I have had with the artistic world have only expanded since my first “discovery”. I designed the logo for a rescue center for dogs called Griffin’s Pride and was very proud to do so. While I treasure the traditional art I do, I also aspire in photography and photo editing. I am a detail oriented person and any work I do, I consider it just that – my job. Therefore, I do it to the best of my ability and aid others in any way I can.

Recently I have been looking into a career in the art field that would suit me. For a while I considered animation, but I feared losing my passion for it through repetition. I was lost for a while and starting to consider settling for “good enough” when suddenly, an unexpected opportunity arose.

During one of my college searches, I had filled out the form to receive more information on their programs. That night, DeVry University called my home, and after a two hour long conversation, I was applying for their online course to earn my Bachelor’s degree in Multimedia Development and Design. A folder packed with information on the course was sent to me in the mail, and the more I learned, the more I loved the idea. With this program, I can earn my Master’s by the time I am twenty-three years old. The promise of a career in web design, animation and the skills to manage and publish thrills me. I am more excited for my future than I have been since I wanted to be a cat.

This is something I truly feel I will enjoy doing for a living. It has the business aspects I like, and the excuse to use my artistic talent is a bonus. At the moment, my biggest hindrance is my financial status. We are a very low income family, and without scholarships, college is not an option for me without taking out $68,000 for my Bachelor’s alone in loans. I take myself seriously and am often told I am mature for my age. I am not taking online college courses to slack off, but rather to work in-between classes to earn as much as I can toward my school expenses. To me, this is an open door that can bring me toward my adulthood as efficiently as possible and train me in skills I take pleasure in and to make a living doing something I enjoy. In all honesty, how many people can say, “I love my job in every way?”

I used this essay to apply for a scholarship through my community.