The Reality of Our Differences | Teen Ink

The Reality of Our Differences

By johnjohn123 SILVER, St.helens, Oregon
johnjohn123 SILVER, St.helens, Oregon

People call me gay.

Or fag or faggot, or at the very least they say “well your bi, you may not know it yet but you are.” And that’s not right. It`s not right to assume someone’s gay or bisexual; and even if they are, then people shouldn`t pester them about it. People act like its fine to make fun of them for it. But it’s not okay, and we all know that. We are going though an age of where we are finally starting to accept people who are homosexual for who they really are, not for who they are in a relationship with. Outside of our schools kids act like they are normal people. But inside the buildings , they`re- or we`re- not like that. People make them feel ashamed about who they are, and slowly they feel as if they`re slowly turning into outcasts.

Everyday we are hearing about kids who are killing themselves just because their being teased about being gay or bi.

Seth Welsh. Even before Seth confessed he was a homosexual, he was being constantly being teased by kids in his school. Only because of his manners, and how he liked to dress, they all just assumed he was gay. It got to the point of where he was afraid to walk home from school, afraid he would emotionally and or physically abused. And in the end, he killed himself. Because the kids, his own classmates and peers, were bullying him.

Jamey Rodemeyer, was teased about being gay also. To the point of where he killed himself. Before he killed himself he started a blog, talking about how he was gay, how kids teased him, and how he felt no one was listening. In the end he talked about how he wanted to kill himself. And you know what people said? They told him to kill himself. I quote, “'I wouldn't care if you died. No one would. So just do it :) It would make everyone WAY more happier!'”

if that wasn’t bad enough, even after he killed himself they were still teasing him about it. At a school dance when a Lady Gaga song came on they started yelling “we`re glad you’re dead, we`re glad you’re dead.”

Though out elementary school I was teased by a bit named Paul. He first started to tease me because he learned I liked care bears. He would call me “Care bear boy”, and other mean nicknames. At first it was more playful then not. But around the middle of the school year he became worse. He would chase me around the playground, yelling at the top of his lungs, “Care Bear Boy.” It may not seem that bad, but for a first grader it was horrible to be mucked because I liked what I liked. At first I didn’t tell anyone because I just assumed that as I gained friends and he lost them that he would stop. Only that didn’t work out. The more friends I got and he lost he just became ruder. But I still didn’t tell anyone, though I don’t know why. Finally in the second grade, I told my teacher. But she didn’t do anything about it. She just told me to work it out. And as I think you would expect, it didn’t work out. He once again just started to get ruder. He would shove and push me, but suddenly it just stopped. I thought it was over, but I was wrong.

The beginning of the third grade, what was supposed to be a good year for me, Paul started again. Only this time he started calling me gay, and made u rumors about me. I still had my friends and he lost what little friends he still had, but I knew people where thinking about it, wondering if I really was gay. I soon just wanted it to end, to die. But I was also angry. Because whatever people thought about me, I wasn’t gay. In the summer of fifth grade, I started to see a consular. I don`t believe she helped me really except for one thing: “imagine putting yourself in a giant bubble, that only allows people you want in.” thanks to that counselor, sixth grade was a breeze for me. Paul still called me gay all the time, but I didn'tcare.

People still call me gay today. But it doesn’t affect me the way it used to. But it still effects other kids, and it`s not right for kids and teens, to call each other gay or bi. People have different views on things. If you believe in homosexuality is right or wrong, that’s your right as an American, but it’s no reason to bully someone and hate them because of it. What people don’t realize is that it does still hurt to be made fun of. Even if they just mean it as a joke. People need to understand that kids get so sad and depressed that they just want it to end, to kill themselves. And that`s what this essay is about, all I want you to know is that it can and will affect people

hey people :)
so even though i`m not yet in college i thought this would be a good place to put it, cause i want to use something like this as my essay for getting into college.
i would also like to say that before you start to read this u need to understand that this is all from the heart and truly did happen to me (the third and fourth paragraph).
but most of all i just want to guys to know that's it wrong (you`ll understand when you read it)
ENJOY :D
P.S. please dont judge till u read the whole thing