Life as a Game | Teen Ink

Life as a Game MAG

My idol is Bobby Fischer.

When I started playing chess, it was merely a game, albeit a good one. However, I have come to realize that most of life can be represented on a chess board.

One of the first lessons I learned was never leave a piece unprotected. To make this mistake means virtual suicide. Instead, I learned that to win I need teamwork, a perfect synergy between the pieces so that I can react and adapt to any outcome, however unlikely it may be. In life you need to be able to change what you are doing in mid-stride. If something isn’t working, try something new.

In chess, various strategies and plans are crucial to success. If you don’t know what you are trying to accomplish, then you don’t have a chance at winning. You can take a similar outlook on life: If you don’t have goals then you can’t expect to accomplish anything. With goals and perseverance, a person can take those steps forward that are crucial to the game, both in chess and life.

There I was, sitting at the table, watching the game unfold. My opponent sighed, deep in thought. I glanced at the board and thought about my better position and more pieces. I had the game well in hand. My opponent suddenly sat up and whispered, “Come on already. Can’t you just end it?” He stared at me; I stared back, stunned.

I wanted to. I really did. But I found that I couldn’t. Fate had conspired against me. It took me another 20 minutes and 17 moves to win.

People think winning is easy, but it’s not. It takes time, patience, and hard work. To achieve, a person must work hard to prove his or her merit. To show others you are capable of leading, you must show them you are a winner.

I am a winner.

212tori said...
I love this essay, so attention grabbing, with a great conclusion

Mimi said...
I have been trying to write a decent Statement of purpose... and i ve been to countless of web pages/links.

I jut have to say...This is one of the best of the best--i have had the priviledge to read.

shahddy said...
great essay love the vivid descriptions and details... it's really gonna help me complete my essay to the fullest!!!!!!