The Tradition of Writing | Teen Ink

The Tradition of Writing MAG

March 31, 2014
By Einstein SILVER, Monmouth, New Jersey
Einstein SILVER, Monmouth, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Laughter is the best medicine."


It was not until I went to Bogotá, Colombia, that I realized I came from a family of writers. My grandfather had written many articles about the tense political situation in Colombia, and was currently working on a memoir. Before him came his aunt and cousin, the novelists. The excitement on his face was both encouraging and heartening when I said I wanted to be a writer. The tradition that started generations ago would be passed on.

I was unaware of my heritage three years before, when writing my novel transformed my life. Much of my free time in those three years was devoted to researching, writing, and revising my manuscript. I spent days glued to my computer typing paragraph after paragraph, page after page, finally finishing my 750-page novel.

Just as my ancestors did, I immersed myself in the culture of the world, learning about each topic. The research for my novel led me to gather interesting and exciting information I never would have learned otherwise, from the history of the Roman Empire to the Bose-Einstein condensates to the best bakeries in Paris. The literary members of my family understood, as I have begun to, that learning is just as important as the writing itself.

I have discovered that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Since I come from a diverse background, I identify myself as unique and multifaceted. I look forward to studying in a metropolitan area because it will expose me to different backgrounds, socioeconomic statuses, and cultures that will widen my experience.

Studying creative writing at college has been my passion since I discovered my enthusiasm and determination to write. It was hard work to finish my novel, but I enjoyed the process and what it gave me. That it also provided me with a link to my past is incredibly important to me. The legacy that my family created over the generations is remarkable and something that I hope to continue in college and throughout my lifetime.