Amazing Blue | Teen Ink

Amazing Blue

February 9, 2010
By Sarah Chinavare BRONZE, Horton, Michigan
Sarah Chinavare BRONZE, Horton, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ann Arbor, MI: Surrounded by other brilliant minds, the University of Michigan is a wonderful school. It was founded in 1817 and has constantly expanded into the large college it is today. The students, the campus, academics, and athletics all make it prestigious and highly competitive to get accepted. However, the students that currently attend are the best of the best and that is why the University of Michigan is a top leading school.
Diversity is of main importance at Michigan. There are kids of different race, religion, and gender. Over 25,000 undergraduates attend and graduates make the number increase significantly. Most students have over a 3.5 GPA and extremely high ACT composite scores. This creates a challenging atmosphere so students have to work hard to achieve and learn all that is necessary. It’s a school where academics are taken seriously, but it also offers many things to do during your free time.
Cars aren’t typical to have on campus so students are usually seen riding bikes, walking in the fresh air, or taking a shuttle bus to and from. There are the Michigan football games where the stands are packed with blue and maize colors, basketball games, and lots of other sports to cheer for and enjoy. The campus has a great food selection in most dining halls that will make your stomach grumble and growl. Not only is the food superb, but there are gyms scattered on campus to exercise and many plays, performances, and organizations to join. Another plus is that the Briarwood Mall isn’t too far away and a bus can take you there.
Housing is a nice way to meet new friends and most of the student body stays in dorms or will get apartments close by. The University of Michigan has a security system to keep everyone safe and medical assistance. There is a co-ed dorm and an all girl’s dorm along with fraternities and sororities for those interested.
With over 200 undergraduate programs, nursing and medicine are top majors at U of M to study in. They also offer engineering, kinesiology, fine arts, business, and law. This school offers a variety of pathways and classes to make the college experience ideal. There are academic counselors who will help you put together a schedule so that anticipated graduation will come so much sooner.
I think that the University of Michigan is the best school in the state of Michigan. Its competitive atmosphere, active student life, and incredible academics make it a great place to learn and grow. For more information, go to www.umich.edu.