The Thief Who Remembered Nothing | Teen Ink

The Thief Who Remembered Nothing

February 27, 2019
By BFrankie SILVER, Tirana, Other
BFrankie SILVER, Tirana, Other
8 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't have one" - Me


After I woke up the first thing I heard was a voice.

“Look who finally decided to wake up.”

I could barely hear anything. My head was hurting like crazy. I looked up and noticed I was in what seemed like a moving medieval wagon. Me, along with a goblin and two elves, one male and the other female, were lined up against the right side of the wagon. Everyone was handcuffed. On the left side, there were fragments of swords, arrows, and broken bows all gathered up. The elves were both wearing green clothing while the goblin had a red shirt on. A man with a strange black and grey cloak seemed like he was controlling the wagon. The male elf was crying while the female was comforting him. The goblin just seemed angry. I was very confused the second I woke up. I remembered nothing, not even my name.

As I was waiting for my headache to stop, I looked toward the goblin and asked,

“Umm, what’s happening?”

“You think it’s funny, don’t you? Good job! I’m so proud of you for being so brave! Because of you, we’re going to spend our lives in prison.”

Suddenly, the male elf started crying even more.

“You’re making it worse!” said the female elf. The goblin just closed his eyes.

“Wake me up when we get there,” said the goblin.

After about 30 minutes, everyone was asleep. I was basically alone and was trying to remember what happened led me nowhere. I just gave up and tried to look for a way to escape the wagon. “I’m not staying in prison forever!” I told myself. It was really dark outside and I could barely see anything. I didn’t even know how the man was controlling the wagon considering how dark it was outside. I didn’t know when we would arrive at the destination; it could be any minute. I had to be fast. I started brainstorming ideas. Do I ask one of the elves or the goblin? No, that would make a lot of noise. I doubt anyone would help. I’m in this alone. I noticed that some shards on the other side of the wagon, still looked very sharp, even though they were small. I tried to wiggle my way there and managed to get a small but sharp shard. The problem was, I couldn’t get up. I realized that my legs were tied up. I tried turning to my right but it just made it worse.

I was stuck. If I made too much noise the man controlling the wagon would hear me. I had to roll with a great amount of force to actually turn around, but that would make a lot of noise. There’s no other choice. I pushed myself really hard and managed to get to a position where I could actually stand up. The man controlling the wagon didn’t notice at all. I felt relieved. I turned my head around and saw the female elf just looking at me. Her face just showed anger and disappointment.

“After everything you’ve done, this is how you repay us?”

I felt kind of bad but I was determined to save myself. The female elf kept talking and insulting me but I just ignored her and started cutting my handcuffs in half. I was surprised that the strange man didn’t react to anything.

After 30 minutes of me trying to cut my handcuffs with that annoying squeaky sound, I finally managed to cut them. I cut the rope that was tying my legs, with the shard that I had obtained and took a peek outside. It was dark, nobody was behind the wagon. It was the perfect time to escape. I looked behind me, the goblin and the elves were sleeping. I said, “Buh-bye!” as I jumped out of the wagon. I felt a sense of accomplishment. I pat myself on the back and started walking in the opposite direction of the wagon. I climbed a fairly small hill and could finally see the giant city in front of me. The colorful lights coming from the seemingly covered the whole sky. I was amazed and just sat down to enjoy the view. It was the most beautiful thing I ever saw. Suddenly, I heard steps coming from behind me. I turned my head around and the saw the strange man with the black and grey cloak. I started running as fast as I could. I kept running, and running and running. He was always at a certain distance behind me. It seemed like I was never going to escape him. Then, I felt a shock going through my body. Everything went blank. I couldn’t feel anything as I was slowly falling down. I closed my eyes.

After I woke up, it looked like I was in some kind of prison cell. The first thing I heard was a voice.

“Look who finally decided to wake up!”


The author's comments:

I don't like this piece.