The Great Escape | Teen Ink

The Great Escape

December 18, 2019
By Dbaig BRONZE, Mannassas, Virginia
Dbaig BRONZE, Mannassas, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

    Hi, my name is Carson Barrett. My life wasn’t fair at all. I was wrongly accused of murder. Now I must pay the consequences. I'm going to a prison overseas. Or they said it would be. It's weird because when they made me change into a dirty orange suit, then they put cold handcuffs on me. Then they shoved me into a truck. How would I go overseas with a truck? Anyway, the truck was pitch black. It smelled like baby vomit. It was freezing in there. I get goose bumps all around me. Voices echo all around me making me feel dizzy. In a blink I collapse. 
I wake up to a bright blue light blinding me. At first, I think I died. Then the light dims. I see myself behind bars with an officer holding a flashlight. I took a good look around me. There is a window the size of my fingernail. There is a very rusty bar in the window that looks like it will fall off. The walls are all rusty. There's a toilet with ants all over it. Spiderwebs appear all over the corners of the cell. The smell is awful here. The guard tells me to look at his mouth. When I look, I see the guards yellow deuterated teeth snap the key in half. Then the guard throws the two pieces of the key in two different directions. The guard leaves.  
The same guard comes back two minutes later and slides a very little amount of soup under the cell. The guard watches me eat the soup with my rough cold hands. When I finish the guard leaves. 
      After another two minutes I start two hear multiple footsteps. About five guards appeared behind the bars. One started hammering at the lock. After two minutes the lock finally falls open. My cell door slowly open. Slowly with creeks that make my body tingle. The guard with a scary looking face raises his arm with a wooden stick and slams it on me. Then a whole bunch of guards start to do the same. It felt like the beating lasted an eternity. This continued in a cycle for what felt like forever. One day a guard that had guilt written all over his face asked very softly “Would you like me to change your food to either soup or noodles?” I didn’t want the soup nor the noodles. I just said soup.  
        A few days of repeated beatings when the guard leaves one comes to the bars and says you will be taken to solitary confinement for six months. When the guard leaves, I search the room for any kind of piece of metal that I can use. I see a rusted piece of metal on the walls that is peeling off. I go up to the wall and pull it off. If the stab didn’t kill someone the infection from the rust surely would. I hide the piece of metal in my pants until I'm taken. The guards came in handcuffing me and then I was taken a few hours later. This is the first time I saw the hallways since I passed out on my way here. The lights barley worked and rarely flicker. For what felt like miles there were no cells. I was getting very tired. Finally, I see it. It wasn’t pleasant but it looked cool. It didn’t have a lock. It had a code. On top of that there is a button far away that you need to press. Do those two things and the door will fly open. One officer took over five minutes to get the code. Once that ended. one other officer used a walkie talkie to notify another officer to press the button. They told me the button part of opening the door because they were certain I would not escape. They shoved me in and said the walls would not be climbable. Then the door slammed shut. The walls were climb proof and I was handcuffed. Very high up there was a window for light. I decided to get to work. I got the piece of metal by my mouth. I thank all my yoga classes for that. I dropped the metal on to my hands and picked the lock. The handcuffs fell off and made a ring when it hit the ground. I scaled the unclimbable walls. When I reached the window, it was metal bars held by a medal frame. The metal looked brand new. I thought then I would never get out. Then it got to me. If I splash a portion of my soup every day, eventually the metal would get rusty enough to pull open. So, I got back down and handcuffed myself so there would be no suspicion. When I got my soup, I ate a third of it and took the rest up to the metal and splashed it on it. Then I went back down. After a long dreadful six months I was finally able to wedge the frame out.  
     The view wasn’t as beautiful as I imagined it to be, but I recognized the area and realized one of my friends lived around here. I decided to hope I was right and followed a path to what I thought would be his house. My first issue however would be how would I get down from the window. There was little box like spaces sticking out of the building. I jumped one by one to each one. One jump after another my legs felt like they were about to snap. When I finally got down, I ran for it. The roads were empty. This day couldn’t be any more perfect. I kept running till I finally made it do my friend's house. I was right. At first, he feared me. I decided to lie to him and say I was released. He welcomed me in and said, “let me go to the bathroom.” turned out he didn’t believe me and called the police to notify them that I was in his house. Officers rushed over and took me back.  
   At least I learned something out of this whole thing. Life isn't fair.